Make a donation

Author Topic: New Highway Code Changes - Pedestrians Given Priority Crossing at Junctions.....  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Well, the new rules for giving pedestrians priority at junctions and allowing them to cross has been in place a while now, but not many drivers seem to be aware of the changes. As a pedsetrian what are your experiences? As a driver, I'm not convinced about the safety of the changes, and can see the potential for rear end shunts escalating , but as a pedestrian you are taking risks as there was little publicity for the changes. Hmmm

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Wasn't aware of that one, but as I have to slow down for junctions anyway, if people are stood there waiting, pausing for 5 seconds to let them cross isn't going to my ruin my day.

That's the problem with the Highway Code, it's simply best practices, and 99% of drivers only look at it once to revise for their test, and that's it.  I would say the vast majority of drivers are completely unaware of most of the driving laws, let alone the guidelines in the book.

What I have noticed off the back of the recent cyclist changes though, is the usual lycra warriors now riding 3 or 4 abreast on country roads and just ignoring motorists behind trying to get past.  If you honk at them to make them aware of your presence, you just get aggression from them.  A lot of them seem to be on a mission to deliberately antagonise motorists.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D