Make a donation

Author Topic: Radiator fans not working - codes related?  (Read 882 times)

Offline rubdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 0
Radiator fans not working - codes related?
« on: April 28, 2022, 01:27:37 pm »
Hey folks, so I've noticed that my radiator fans have'n been working for the past couple of weeks. This includes after driving to and from work where I'd be sitting in fiarly slow moving traffic. Also not a peep out of them when I have the AC on. The AC is still kind of coldish and thankfully engine temps will still sit solidly at around 90 degrees.

Scanning with OBDeleven I get the following codes (aside from a few other unrelated ones...)
01320 - Climatronic control module No signal/communication - Intermittent
00819 - High pressure sensor Open circuit/short circuit to ground - Static
00229 - Refrigerant pressure Lower limit not reached - Intermittent

I had just changed the radiator there a couple of weeks ago. All went well aside from braking the release clip on the plug. I'm going check the plugs for both later, but am pretty sure everything went back together as it should.

I don't even have the climatronic unit, jsut the manual dials with AC 🤔 Could a fault with the high pressure sensor be causing the issue with the fans?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Radiator fans not working - codes related?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 03:58:59 pm »
The fans should still come on for the engine radiator independently of the A/C.  They are PWM variable speed fans, so you won't hear them sat in traffic unless they're running flat out, which is above 105 deg C iirc, which still shows as 90 on the dash  :stupid:

Output test the fans with OBD11, if it can do it.  That will confirm the wiring and motors work, and then you need to investigate the control side.  If nothing from an output test, you have a wiring/motor issue.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rubdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 12:38:06 pm »
The fans should still come on for the engine radiator independently of the A/C.  They are PWM variable speed fans, so you won't hear them sat in traffic unless they're running flat out, which is above 105 deg C iirc, which still shows as 90 on the dash  :stupid:

Output test the fans with OBD11, if it can do it.  That will confirm the wiring and motors work, and then you need to investigate the control side.  If nothing from an output test, you have a wiring/motor issue.

Thamks for the advice Pudding!

I was able to run an output test in OBDeleven. When the ignition was turned the output test had the fans run, but if I ran it again with the engine running nothng happened and I got this message: '(22) function cancelled, marginal coditions have not been met'

Does this all sound normal?

So if that means the fans and the wiring itself is ok, would fuses and relays be the next place to look?

Thanks again for the help!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 01:51:11 pm »
Probably because bidirectional controls only work under certain conditions, e.g. engine off, ignition on.  I think that error with the engine running means the engine/AC controllers have taken over the fan control.

If the fans ran when commanded by OBD11, that means the wiring, ECU, fuses and fan motors are fine.  Therefore what ever is commanding them to come on needs fixing, which is probably those AC pressure switches. If the AC system detects it has no refrigerant, it won't trigger the fans.

I think that's your issue mate.  I think they are working in traffic jams, but you haven't heard them running.  They're not loud fans at all, except as said before, when running at maximum speed, and even then, you need the window open to hear it.

Having said that, if they aren't working at all, because the engine coolant fans also have to go through the AC controller, that is an utterly dumb arse piece of design by VW!

Have you tried leaving the car idling at home until they come on?  It can take quite a while, sometimes 10 mins or more.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D