Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 Golf door handle issue  (Read 2222 times)

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk5 Golf door handle issue
« on: April 28, 2022, 07:10:42 pm »
Hi, I am really really stuck trying to remove the drivers door handle on my Mk5 R32. Now I have watched all the videos but not come across one that shows me what my issue is, or maybe I’m being proper daft. I have tried to remove the handle with zero luck and it seems there is a bolt at the front of the handle stopping me doing this no matter what I try or how hard I dare pull…anybody encountered this. All I wanted to do was tighten it up as the threads were showing on the bolt?

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Mk5 Golf door handle issue
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 07:15:44 pm »
Can I just add I have removed the door side trim, undone the bolt 12 times, removed the lock barrel, the wire that attached to the handle….go to pull back but….no dice. Bolts holing it in place unlike any others I’ve seen  :stupid:

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 08:02:11 pm »
Never experienced that.  The screw is obviously stopping the handle being removed.Try tightening the screw using snipe pliers or something to grip the threads Or can you push the inner mechanism away from the skin which should pull the screw inwards :thinking:

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 10:12:09 pm »
Dremel it off and replace it with a new one. Simple.

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 10:38:25 pm »
I have thought about it but surely it has to come off without doing that…How is it attached to the handle??

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 05:41:55 am »
Never experienced that.  The screw is obviously stopping the handle being removed.Try tightening the screw using snipe pliers or something to grip the threads Or can you push the inner mechanism away from the skin which should pull the screw inwards :thinking:

There isn’t enough room to try this, I’m stumped as to why this bolt is attached to the handle, am I right in thinking the bolt hold the door skin on not the handle? You cannot even reach it from the inner door card as there is no access 🤷🏼‍♂️

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 09:31:23 am »
The screw is meant to be there, you can undo it once the handle is removed. The reason you can't remove the handle is the rotating piece that holds the lock in place has moved too far, or too little, and is stopping the removal. The answer is to adjust the the rotating piece from the small hole in the side of the door a few turns in or out until you can remove the handle.

Offline ald1717

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: mk5 gti
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:30:29 am »
above is correct

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 11:40:42 am »
The screw is meant to be there, you can undo it once the handle is removed. The reason you can't remove the handle is the rotating piece that holds the lock in place has moved too far, or too little, and is stopping the removal. The answer is to adjust the the rotating piece from the small hole in the side of the door a few turns in or out until you can remove the handle.

Ok, so loosen the T25 (?) screw in the door until the handle can be pulled out? I did it the 12 turns like all the videos suggest so do I just keep loosening until something happens? I hope nothing falls in the door because surely that will happen if I go to far? Many thanks

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 01:22:59 pm »
When you are turning that screw it is acting on a locking ring that spins. If it is turned too far or too little the locking ring blocks the space needed to remove the handle. You are going to have to use trial and error to get it in the correct position. You should probably start by tightening 1/2 a turn each time the try to remove the handle, if that does not work try loosening 1/2 a turn at a time.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 02:29:37 pm »
Few pics inside the locking mechanism. Dremel of small hacksaw the screw off and remove the hand.
Life really is that simples.

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 07:24:19 am »
Few pics inside the locking mechanism. Dremel of small hacksaw the screw off and remove the hand.
Life really is that simples.

The second to last pic where your fingers are is where the screw I am referring to is. Not the one holding the lock barrel in place. The one at the front of the handle which holds the assembly and door skin in place is the one I cannot remove…this screw I’m 100% doesn’t loosen with the T25 in the side of the door. Do I simply have to cut this off as I cannot see anyway of undoing it? Hope this makes sense…not the lock barrel side but where the handle levers at the front. See my pics at the top  :thinking: :thinking:

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 08:58:16 am »
The screw you cannot remove is behind the handle, you have to remove the handle first to undo it. You cannot remove the handle because the t25 is too far in or not in far enough and the rotating ring is in the wrong position. You can see the ring in the last pic on the left where the lock goes, turn the t25 until the ring is in the same position as the pic and you will be able to remove the handle by lifting and pulling to the left.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 01:30:50 pm »
As far as I remember there isn't a screw behind the bit I'm holding. That's the end that you push in and it hooks into the metal backing bracket behind the door skin. The only screw that is in there is behind the opposite side that fixes the metal bracket to the skin. I've replaced all my door locking mechs and removed all door handles. I bought black used ones and painted them myself as you can see so I'm kinda an expert now lol.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 02:07:52 pm »
There is a threaded hole in the backing plate in that location - below is a shot of the backing plate, opening on the left:

Has someone used too long a bolt?
I would be tempted to dremel the bolt thread to allow the handle to swing out as it should

Not sure if you have got the handle removed at the other end - remember the 12 turns needs to be from fully tightened up state - if you start with it slightly loosened (its looking like someone has been in there already) it may be over shooting the sweet spot where it can be removed.