Make a donation

Author Topic: wheel alignment severly out after suspension overhaul  (Read 512 times)

Offline akz786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
wheel alignment severly out after suspension overhaul
« on: September 13, 2023, 07:04:02 pm »
Hi
As the title suggest I have just a full suspension overhaul done with the following on my mk5 GTi 07:
- Bilstein Front shocks & rear shocks with VWR springs
- New front and rear top mounts
- front ball joints
- front outer track rod ends
- front anti roll bar drop links

The local garage did the work and the camber is to say the least as negative as I have even seen! I had to drive home at 20mph!, they dont have alingment setups but it was questioned how it can be so out?

Hoping a alignment will fix this easily.  :sad1:

Offline akz786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: wheel alignment severly out after suspension overhaul
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 07:33:42 pm »
Sorted it out with an alignment, first impressions of Bilstein B4 with VWR racingline springs is that they are very compliant.

They feel composed and have decreased body roll and brake diving significantly.
Handling is great and it’s not crashy or bumpy at all.

The drop is hardly noticeable from OEM but that’s what I wanted as H&R and Eibach seemed too low for my liking.

Overall happy for now.

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 12:00:08 pm »
Bilstein B4 shocks are not really designed for lowering springs and the ride will be quite crashy over time. It's best to get the B8/B6 dampers or the VWR shocks as they are actually designed fr lowering springs.

Offline akz786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 04:17:07 pm »
I have heard this said by a few, is this coming from first hand experience yourself?
So far so good, it’s amazing. When shocks wear I expect that behaviour regardless.
VWR do quote that their springs are designed to be used by OEM shocks, I guess only time will tell…

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 08:58:37 pm »
Bilstein B4 shocks are not really designed for lowering springs and the ride will be quite crashy over time. It's best to get the B8/B6 dampers or the VWR shocks as they are actually designed fr lowering springs.

I seem to remember their site says they're suitable for both. I've had Eibachs with the B4 and have gone with B3 springs which are basically OEM too, have to say I'm preferring the B3s, but as already said the Eibach's are stupid low, especially on the back.