Make a donation

Author Topic: Sump bolt torque  (Read 2404 times)

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Sump bolt torque
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:30:40 am »
Got myself a kit of parts together ready to replace the oil pick up and clean out the sump.
Anyone have the torque for the sump bolts to hand? Read through various guides but not found this yet.

Thankyou

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Sump bolt torque
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 12:06:13 pm »
Its low, only 10lb/ft - for a torque wrench to be accurate that low it would need to be a 1/4 drive one - or just nip them up by hand.

Some notes to hopefully aid you:
There are 2 bolts concealed beside the fly wheel - the opening is slightly offset from the bolt heads, torch needed to see what you are aiming at - I would recommend using a Torx drive as it gives you more wiggle room than a socket.

Even after pulling the sump plug, there is at least 1/2 a litre of oil still trapped in the sump... so try to still keep it level when taking it off.

Practice installing the sump dry a few times before adding the silicone gasket.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 12:16:28 pm »
I do the sump bolt the same as the spark plugs and oil filter housing - 25nm.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 07:15:06 pm »
Cheers guys  :happy2:

Sounds good i'll go with the 10nm for the sump bolts and 25nm for the filter housing and the sump plug
Got a replacement dipstick and tube to go on at the same time, after reading the dipstick thread a few weeks back checked it and the o ring and the small ball below it are no longer there

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 08:35:51 am »
Ah sorry, by sump bolt I thought you mean the drain plug!  Yeah definitely only 10-12nm for those!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qs1bde8bgqdc3q0frlf2t1ngbc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 01:58:40 pm »
Its low, only 10lb/ft - for a torque wrench to be accurate that low it would need to be a 1/4 drive one - or just nip them up by hand.

Some notes to hopefully aid you:
There are 2 bolts concealed beside the fly wheel - the opening is slightly offset from the bolt heads, torch needed to see what you are aiming at - I would recommend using a Torx drive as it gives you more wiggle room than a socket.

Even after pulling the sump plug, there is at least 1/2 a litre of oil still trapped in the sump... so try to still keep it level when taking it off.

Practice installing the sump dry a few times before adding the silicone gasket.

Wise words. It can be quite tricky to get the sump on. Easy if you have a lift but scrabbling around on the floor always makes these jobs much more tricky.

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 04:49:56 pm »
All done and ok so far.
The pick up gauze and bottom of the sump were very clean for the cars age. No nasty suprises in there  :smiley:
Probably didn't really need doing but at least its another thing checked on the list  :happy2:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 09:41:55 pm »
That good news, but its the peace of mind that is the payoff.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 01:45:29 pm »
Why bother to torque up a sump bolt? What happed to the old fashioned "feels tight, that's good for me"?
I serviced my wife's pug yesterday and did exactly that. No need to torque it down.