Make a donation

Author Topic: Body shop issues.  (Read 2186 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Body shop issues.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 09:44:44 am »
£2600 and they can't even stick the sill cover back on properly.  Look at that humungous gap  :doh:

There is a very specific technique for getting that back on flush, and only 3M tape should be used.

I would definitely be taking it back for remedial work for that kind of money.

I am getting sick of seeing people getting ripped off with incompetent workmanship. It's an epidemic at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 09:47:02 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 10:04:06 am »
£2600 and they can't even stick the sill cover back on properly.  Look at that humungous gap  :doh:

There is a very specific technique for getting that back on flush, and only 3M tape should be used.

I am getting sick of seeing people getting ripped off with incompetent workmanship. It's an epidemic at the moment.

Well spotted Pudding , one of my other gripes about the job. The garage believe they are too bent to fit back on properly…

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2022, 11:29:20 am »

Well spotted Pudding , one of my other gripes about the job. The garage believe they are too bent to fit back on properly…

That is absolute bullsheet.  If they are bent, it's because they ruined them upon removal.  They are made of the same GRP material as the bumpers and therefore rigid.  They don't bend out of shape.

What is more likely is they misaligned the curvature of the cover around the arch, which kicks it out away from the body further down.  Easy mistake for a DIY amateur to make, but not a body shop claiming to be professional and charging THAT much for, no offense, patch up work.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2022, 12:15:35 pm »
True pudding. I’ve actually bought the correct 3m VHB tape and some tiger seal to redo the covers as I don’t believe they are so far bent they can’t be put on correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 01:10:23 pm »
I've had bad experiences with bodyshops that have put me off using one again. The ones I used had really good reputations as well.

I got hit in a carpark and took the insurance cash rather than let someone attempt to fix it.

I agree with Pudding about levels of service, I've recently had some plastering, brick work and joinery done by different people and none of it was any good.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 01:19:53 pm »
I've had bad experiences with bodyshops that have put me off using one again. The ones I used had really good reputations as well.

I got hit in a carpark and took the insurance cash rather than let someone attempt to fix it.

I agree with Pudding about levels of service, I've recently had some plastering, brick work and joinery done by different people and none of it was any good.

Yours and Sean's experience add even more weight to the old adage - "If you want something done right, do it yourself". 

Although I am utterly sh1te at plastering and paint spraying, so they have us by the balls!

Hopefully the body shop will do right by Sean..... but as is all too often these days, trades people don't seem to give a schitt about how poor workmanship can affect their reputation, and therefore income  :stupid:

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 08:10:17 am »
Probably better to do it yourself.
I'd clean it up first just to make sure they have made an attempt to remove the rust and then use a brush on black underseal.
A bit messy but only a few hours work.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 09:58:09 am »

Thanks bobby_fodge.

I doubt I’ll be satisfied with whatever they do now as it’s been a fairly tainted affair. I’m think the best I can hope for is the paint sorting then I’ll have to do some tidying up myself to get it to the standard that I want.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2022, 10:06:43 am »
Probably better to do it yourself.
I'd clean it up first just to make sure they have made an attempt to remove the rust and then use a brush on black underseal.
A bit messy but only a few hours work.
I did consider attacking it with some Bilt Hamber Deox Gel and then electrox primer but I think it needs fully repainting inside and out to ensure full coverage. The body shop have agreed to do both rear quarters again plus a few other bits that need tidying up which I’m happy with. Luckily I have a second car to use at the moment as no doubt it will be 3-5 days to turn it around.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2022, 10:09:37 am »

Yours and Sean's experience add even more weight to the old adage - "If you want something done right, do it yourself". 

Although I am utterly sh1te at plastering and paint spraying, so they have us by the balls!

Hopefully the body shop will do right by Sean..... but as is all too often these days, trades people don't seem to give a schitt about how poor workmanship can affect their reputation, and therefore income  :stupid:
It’s a minefield isn’t it. I’ve had some good experiences recently. Bathroom fitter, general plumber, plasterer, painter. All done to a decent standard. It seems my luck ran out on the one thing that I have a passion for LOL.

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2022, 04:48:57 pm »
I think one of the best ways to tell how good a trade will be is by going on how long you will have to wait for them to do the work - if they’ve got a 3 month + order book then they’re probably doing something right. If they can fit you in “tomorrow” or “next week” then it may end up being a rush / bodge job. Paint is the one thing I shy away from doing myself as it’s a dark art to get right if you’re colour matching / blending etc
Edition 30 - No. 1233