Make a donation

Author Topic: Scrubbable Matt White Emulsion - Recommendations??  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Scrubbable Matt White Emulsion - Recommendations??
« on: May 16, 2022, 03:05:27 pm »
Anyone have any experience of using this stuff? Recommendations appreciated please...

For use on stairs, which are quite narrow.... I have used standard matt, but find that it marks really easily, when you brush against it, carriyng things etc, and cleaning it off only leaves a shiney patch, which looks really naff. Re-painting over the marks also shows up patchy, grrrr

Heard of the scrubbable matt paint, but does it really work, without leaving a shiney patch after wiping?

Cheers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Scrubbable Matt White Emulsion - Recommendations??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 11:17:47 am »
It's a bit expensive but we used Farrow & Ball Modern Emulsion in high traffic areas.  It's not completely matt, it has a very slight satin finish as it's also waterproof for bathrooms/kitchens. If you want flat matt, I think their "Estate Emulsion" might be that.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 11:35:14 pm »
I would say matt paint is more likely for things to rub and leave marks on - to get the matt finish it is a very fine rough surface, more like very fine sand paper.

Satin wood is a good halfway house between gloss and matt - more forgiving on uneven surfaces plus usually dries quicker than gloss.

There are heavy duty paints out there, but that suspect they will be a nightmare to dry - not ideal in a high traffic area like stairs

Farrow and ball emulsion - as pretty as it is - I find to be a real nightmare to use, despite thorough mixing there are noticeable colour differences from can to can, and unless you are doing the entire wall with the new can it is very easy to leave marks ruining a lot of hard work - very disappointing considering the eye-watering price.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 12:30:26 pm »
Haven't experienced that myself but it bloody stinks though! 

It's the best paint I've ever used in terms of rolling on.  Goes on so super smooth and consistently with any old roller, and only 1 coat needed.  I've found cheaper paints need a high end roller to get a reasonable finish on a dead flat wall, and more than one coat. So swings and roundabouts really.

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't pay that much for paint.  The missus wanted it as it's a bit trendy on Instagram at the moment  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 06:34:45 am »
We’ve been F&B throughout for over 20 years. Tradesmen always used to grumble due to the low opacity needing two coats (maybe the formulation has changed since then?) however it does age gently due to the natural pigments. Satin for high traffic / steamy rooms is a good idea.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:56:16 pm »
I have a small paint store near me - it must be good as it constantly has painters vans outside
They have a Johnson paint mix machine, someone did a proper colour scan of the F&B paints and issued paint codes.
So you can walk in and ask for "mole testicle pouch" or whatever is "in" on insta, but in a vinyl or whatever paint you want at a lower price.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 12:31:48 am »
I've used Dulux endurance (I think it's called that) and it's pretty good.  When you rub it you do see some paint on the cloth, but cleans up well.

Recently used some Johnstone's paint.  It's billed as wipeable / hard wearing bit it's too aoon to tell if it's any good. 

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 06:14:02 pm »
Dulux wipeable kitchen paint only thing is is comes in small pots 2.5l.