Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG issue 2nd gear  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Tim94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
DSG issue 2nd gear
« on: May 20, 2022, 04:13:17 pm »
Hello. I know plenty of DSG issues have been well documented by now however, I can't seem to find much on my particular issue.

I've got a 2007 (57) Gti DSG on 140k miles. Have owned it for over 2.5 years with this issue always present and not developing any worse. DSG has full service history and I had the mechatronic unit partially refurbished by a place in Bristol (recommended by many) last year due to an electrical fault with the TCU side (flashing icons), they also performed a service while it was there and said that the valve/solenoid side looked fine. The car pulls away from a standstill and drives relatively smooth in all gears, reverse is fine, sometimes there is a clunk on downshift but I've read that this is normal from 3>2. To finish this backstory off, I have installed polyurethane inserts to both ends of the pendulum mount as well as upper engine and gearbox mounts.

So the issue, it only surfaces under specific driving conditions. When driving at low speeds (-10mph) in D, typically in stop start traffic, the car will hang onto 2nd gear until pretty much a dead stop which I guess is just the way the box is programmed. The problem is that if come off the throttle while moving and then apply a small amount to accelerate slightly the revs will bounce and the whole car will jerk slightly 3-4 times until the speed has increased enough to smooth it out, say over 10mph. If I apply medium throttle it speeds up fine. As above, this does not happen when pulling away from from a complete standstill as the car goes into 1st gear which reduces the load. A simple way to avoid this is to drive in either S or manual mode where you can hang onto 1st gear when traveling at lower speeds in traffic and all is well. This is fine and I understand that DSG's are not the best at low speeds but I've owned 3 DSG cars prior (another mk5 Gti) and not had to do this before. To me it feels like the engine is being loaded up too much by 2nd gear which is causing it to jerk the car, this is why I initially started by upgrading the engine/gearbox mounts however, could it be possible that if the mount are badly worn, the inserts wont be of much help? When the car jerks the revs will only bounce around 200-300RPM, I've seen videos of bad mechatronic units online and they are far worse than this, they also seem to do it from a standstill.

To finish this off, I have also noticed that the engine will sometimes jolt aggressively during heavy acceleration which again points me back to mounts.

I have read about getting a DSG reset but don't have access to vagcom.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be great as my new commute entails a lot of traffic..

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
Re: DSG issue 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 05:44:19 pm »
Unfortunately you will need to try determine engine/gearbox mounts or engine issue vs DSG first as some symptoms can be confused. From what you describe if it’s hanging onto gears it would point to the DSG.

I would recommend start with easy and free stuff (providing you have access to VAGCOM or similar software to access the mechatronics ECU)

1: Scan for fault codes.
2: DSG Adaptations reset.
3. Check the DSG oil level. DSG gearboxes need the correct level of fluid to run properly. You will require VAGCOM to check this as the DSG oil
needs to be at required temp to check fluid level. (Car will need to be on a ramp or accessible underneath to check oil drip rate from DSG oil sump)

Check this guide and check if any the symptoms you have are in this list and follow accordingly.

http://www.evosoft.dk/tech.html

When the solenoids get tired in the mechatronics unit the gear changes sometimes are prolonged and hesitant and then then eventually become very jerky mostly from 1st and reverse are most obvious. Can also jerk/hesitate on down changes from 3rd to 2nd.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:19:04 pm by GreigC »

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 09:45:01 pm »
There is a non-vagcom DSG reset:
https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89352.0

You can also asses engine movement by trying to pull away with handbrake on, bonnet open and someone reviewing how far the engine moves/rotates.
If they are completely goosed you will feel the engine moving around under braking / hard cornering - it will make the car feel unstable.

Offline DurinsBane117

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 03:26:23 pm »
Hello! Did u manage to find the cause of this issue? I've got a similar issue with the kangarooing in 2nd gear. I've got no error codes but did have one for a wheel speed sensor about a year ago, put a few lights on the dash but the fault cleared itself. I did recently check the live data for the wheel speed using the carista app and didn't notice any major difference between the wheel speeds.