Make a donation

Author Topic: Has my Delphi AC compressor seized?  (Read 489 times)

Offline AVR2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Has my Delphi AC compressor seized?
« on: May 21, 2022, 03:03:45 pm »
I have no AC on my recently-acquired 2008 Mk5 with 178k despite a full charge. Googling around, I learned about the common Delphi AC problem of the shear plate bolt working loose and stripping the splines on the hub, and on closer inspection I could see that indeed the central bolt was protruding slightly and wasn't spinning with the pulley.

I've just tried removing the shear plate to check this, and while the 3 bolts around the perimeter of the plate have come out, the central bolt just spins in either direction without loosening or tightening.

To be clear, this isn't the pulley turning - it's held still by the aux belt and I'm using an impact gun anyway. The central bolt just spins without moving in or out. If I use a hand ratchet, it feels and sounds like I'm actually turning the compressor internals

Any ideas? I have a suspicion that perhaps the compressor is actually seized and the bolt is threaded into a sheared-off bit of the compressor driveshaft. Does that sound about right? And I guess that means I really ought to rip out and replace every single AC component, not just the compressor? Or would a system flush suffice?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:23:25 pm by AVR2 »