Make a donation

Author Topic: Coolant temperature  (Read 710 times)

Offline Jamesf1010

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Coolant temperature
« on: May 25, 2022, 09:28:53 pm »
Hi, I posted this in one of the existing topics but not sure if it's better to start up another one.

I have a 2007 GTI (2.0T FSI BWA engine) which, from reading the forum I am having a similar issue to a few others. The coolant temperature takes a long time to get up to where it should be and then the gauge starts to fall back again once I start driving at around 40+mph, with the temperature sitting around 65-70C.

I've had the main thermostat changed and from what I can gather there is only one on the 2007 (manual) model, which hasn't solved the issue. I have had it back at the garage and the mechanic is struggling for ideas as to what it could be, wondering if anyone might have any input as to what else to me try?

The replacement thermostat was from euro car parts and I've read that possibly the non-OEM parts might be part of the problem, but I'm a bit reluctant to have the part replaced again if it might not be the cause of the problem, as it's already cost a few quid in labour to do it the first time (not something I would be confident tackling myself at the moment)

The mechanic doesn't think it would be anything to do with temperature sensors but wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and what else might be worth trying before getting another thermostat?

Any ideas would be much appreciated, cheers

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Coolant temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:01:01 pm »
Should sit at 90 - are your fans on all the time? - if so coolant temp sensors will be likely culprits

Offline Jamesf1010

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Coolant temperature
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 07:20:54 am »
Thanks for the reply, I don't think they are always running but never really notice when they are on to be fair. The fan blowers definitely work but I'll try and have a listen for them running constantly.

I'm not 100% sure the AC is working properly as the weather hasn't really been too hot or too cold since I got the car, but the past couple of days it didn't really seem to be getting very cold and just ended up opening the windows.

According to the garage there weren't any fault codes that were coming up so hard to think of anything else, I'll maybe try and have a go at changing the sensors if they're relatively easy to get to.

Thanks