All Things MK6 R and GTI > MK6 Modifications & Technical Area

ED35 CDL sudden poor starting, misfires, general poor running, no boost

<< < (2/2)

john_o:
totally agree
nothing has changed on my car for years! i just run it and service it myself.
only thing Ive done (around this time) was charge the battery (which Ive done many times before) and its a ctek charger, so maybe it was that ....

john_o:
the car is back and fixed.

symptomes were reduced voltage (3V) against the circuits indicated as faulty on the fusebox
garage tried an ecu swap and it made no difference, so they went back through the continuity loom check and they then found a short under the fusebox as it bends and passes through metal
(anyone got a picture of the loom routing under the fusebox by any chance?)
at that point they also worked out the relay had been taken out by the problem.

So in all
new relay
a few new fusebars (precaution)
new fusebox engine bay  (changed but not convinced it was actually needed)
repair loom short
4 hrs labour

final bill was just short of £700, of which 50% is parts and 50% labour.     

Garage have been brill in progressing this work, I left it with them indicating they had as much time as needed to resolve and no rush
that way they could work on it as and when around other jobs (they did way more than the 4hrs they charged for)
in hindsight Im not convinced on the fusebox replacement, but they also sourced a replacement unlocked ecu (temp) which i couldnt have done, nor was I charged for it.

moral of the story , its usually something simple.
Anyway the cars back and Ive missed it

thanks @Pudding as ever for the interaction

pudding:
And thanks to you also for following up  :happy2:  I wish everyone did, and then we'd have a more complete knowledgebase!  :smiley:

The knowledge we've gained here is: with so many electrical faults flagged by the ECU, check for short circuits and/or wiring defects, missing/blown relays etc.

Problems like that are a complete nightmare but kudos to the garage for being so thorough.  I'm glad it wasn't the ECU in the end as they almost never fail, so that's saved you some grief and aggro sourcing one and coding it etc.

I forgot to mention that whilst compression testing my engine, I couldn't find a way to disable the fuel pump, so I pulled relay 167 in the engine bay fuse box.  I then got exactly the same fault code list as yours, so I was meant to reply to this to get your garage to check the power feed to that relay......but you got there in the end anyway :happy2:

And for the record, pulling relay 100 takes the ECU out, so no fuel or spark during cranking for compression testing  :happy2:

john_o:
too many learnings for one day  :laugh:
lots of information gold

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version