Make a donation

Author Topic: Should rear pad always be touching the disc?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Stamanatic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Should rear pad always be touching the disc?
« on: June 01, 2022, 12:47:27 pm »
Hello,

Years ago I got aftermarket rear discs and pads, but even now if I take out the pad, and push it back into the clip, it's just rubbing the disc, if I pull the pad back a bit it doesn't rub the disc. Obviously then if I put the pad and caliper back on and when I engage the handbrake the pad is now firm again onto the disc and rubbing.

Is this normal? No issue with the calipers they are all new, just wondering even with no caliper on, and you put the pad in fully it's rubbing the disc and at the point it's no where near as tight to the disc as it would be after you engage the piston. Did I get wrong discs or pads all those years back?

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Should rear pad always be touching the disc?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:17:04 pm »
The caliper pistons will automatically adjust inwards to account for the wear on the pads as they are used. When you fit new pads (& or discs) the piston needs to be pushed and wound back to give more space for the new thicker pads & discs.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 01:38:04 pm »
Hello,

Years ago I got aftermarket rear discs and pads, but even now if I take out the pad, and push it back into the clip, it's just rubbing the disc, if I pull the pad back a bit it doesn't rub the disc. Obviously then if I put the pad and caliper back on and when I engage the handbrake the pad is now firm again onto the disc and rubbing.

Is this normal? No issue with the calipers they are all new, just wondering even with no caliper on, and you put the pad in fully it's rubbing the disc and at the point it's no where near as tight to the disc as it would be after you engage the piston. Did I get wrong discs or pads all those years back?

No idea what you're on about there but pads should not be rubbing the disc with your foot off the pedal, or with the handbrake off.  The caliper seals retract the pads just enough to clear the disc, but not enough to cause a long pedal when you next tap the brakes.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Stamanatic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 03:25:59 pm »
When I insert the pad into the carrier alone without any caliper attached, it's rubbing on the disc, I don't even see how it wouldn't rub either, there is no clearance once you push the pad into the clip, this is a pad that is a few years old, it's always slightly rubbing off the disc, again this is nothing to do with the caliper piston retracting, the pad always rests on the disc in it's neutral position.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=14nh9mvp2nc02kkunckr3m6ih6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 05:04:35 pm »
When I insert the pad into the carrier alone without any caliper attached, it's rubbing on the disc, I don't even see how it wouldn't rub either, there is no clearance once you push the pad into the clip, this is a pad that is a few years old, it's always slightly rubbing off the disc, again this is nothing to do with the caliper piston retracting, the pad always rests on the disc in it's neutral position.

If you push the pads up to the discs and rotate the disc of course they will rub.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 10:35:02 pm »
The pads should automatically back slightly off the disc.
This sounds like its classic VW handbrake arm not returning fully - It has been the same issue on Golfs since the Mk2, same caliper design since then.

The usual cause is corrosion around the shaft in the caliper under the rubber boot below the HB lever, a carefully aimed sqwoosh of penetrating fluid can sometimes briefly help, but the proper fix is likely to be new calipers - they can be rebuilt, but you need to be obsessive/masicist to do this.

Another cause could be handbrake cable sticking in its sleeve, easy to check if they are freely moving.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 01:04:27 pm »
Does your handbrake work properly on both sides? Parking on a slope or jacking up the rear one side at a time and trying rotate the wheel will tell you.

Not that hard to replace on the driveway with basic tools if required.

Offline Stamanatic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 03:16:03 pm »
The pads should automatically back slightly off the disc.
This sounds like its classic VW handbrake arm not returning fully - It has been the same issue on Golfs since the Mk2, same caliper design since then.

The usual cause is corrosion around the shaft in the caliper under the rubber boot below the HB lever, a carefully aimed sqwoosh of penetrating fluid can sometimes briefly help, but the proper fix is likely to be new calipers - they can be rebuilt, but you need to be obsessive/masicist to do this.

Another cause could be handbrake cable sticking in its sleeve, easy to check if they are freely moving.

Hi both are new calipers though, even without the caliper fitted the pad rubs the disc. I feel the issue is maybe the disc is too big!

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 09:08:08 am »
Worth checking that you have the correct pads; some pads with similar fitment are availble in 12mm and 15mm thickness depending on disk thickness.
I had this issue with aftermarket rear pads on a Mk2. Sorted by getting the thinner pads.