Make a donation

Author Topic: EML after long drives/Fault code reader recommendations  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
EML after long drives/Fault code reader recommendations
« on: June 04, 2022, 12:09:08 pm »
Good morning all, so my Golf has been mainly used for 20-30 mile little outings so every 2 weeks or so since July...but over the past week it has been to Kings Lynn, then to Helensburgh in Scotland, and yesterday a manic Paris and back in a day..and this is where the problems started. Every now and then I get the trio of TCS/ABS/Tyre light comes on...then re-sets when you restart the car, no worries, probably one of the wheel sensors...yesterday I had to re-fuel and used the best I could find 98Ron French fuel....20 mins later EML light pops on..now I know really it cannot be the fuel, the car drove fine, temp between 75-90 all the way there and back ( i know I need to sort the thermostat too...) mostly steady 70-80mph once we left Paris. I gave it one big load of beans in a tunnel but an hour before I stopped for fuel..turbo a little smoky but nowt unusual for her...the EML went off after we got it off the Eurotunnel so I don’t think it’s a terminal issue , probably loosened something with all the driving,but want to keep her tip top!  Don’t want or need the latest greatest fault reader, but if any of you have recommendations for a code reader or something under £100 ish that has a little more function to it I’d love to hear....or if you think it’s the French trying to poison my Golf...

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=14nh9mvp2nc02kkunckr3m6ih6&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: EML after long drives/Fault code reader recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 12:31:47 pm »
Look at Obdeleven. It isnt as good as vcds but it does a large majority of what vcds does for about 60 pounds.

https://obdeleven.com/en/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwheyUBhD-ARIsAHJNM-MZfr7lWdO6zfG9sYJx6Jy8MW7LDW08fwe-LEnxeGuG90jCRMeeOugaAiuyEALw_wcB

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 06:44:19 pm »
Thanks @Clarkj93 ...fabulous name by the way...and spelt correctly too! Have you used it yourself at all? It has the most mixed bag of reviews ever....total marmite product.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 07:42:36 pm »
I tried an icarsoft VAWs code reader, it worked but fiddly to navigate - but no coding - so I will stick with my funny copy of VCDS.
There is a lot of positive comments on OBDeleven on here - I quite like the set plays for doing coding, looks good

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 09:26:30 am »
\\\\\\have a look on the Gendan website plenty of choice on there

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 10:06:38 am »
If you get an OBD Bluetooth adapter, then there’s a ton of apps out there.
I use CarScanner. Free it does enough but if you do want the “pro” version (allows you to record more than 2 things) then it’s £5.99
Getting too old for this...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 09:37:39 am »
There aren't many things that throw the EML, usually just the emissions related ones mandated by law..... so could just be O2 or cat related moaning.

OBD11 seems fairly decent but their pricing tiers and 'credits' are bloody annoying and unnecessary, which might explain the marmite reviews. 

I don't know why people are so reluctant to spend 20 sheets on VCDS, but will happily spunk £350 on a crappy intake, or £1K+ on an exhaust  :stupid:

I would say a good 30-40% of the topics on here are related to diagnosing fault codes and running problems, and yet no one is willing to invest in the one thing that will help them out, double  :stupid: :stupid:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 11:47:03 pm »
Well despite my initial reservations I think OBDeleven Pro is where my money is gonna go. Still not convinced by the credit system, but I can use it on the golf, the A5 and maybe in the future the i3 too. I really appreciate the advise all...now to save up for the intake and exhaust eh @Pudding ?! Lol

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=14nh9mvp2nc02kkunckr3m6ih6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:18:05 am »
There aren't many things that throw the EML, usually just the emissions related ones mandated by law..... so could just be O2 or cat related moaning.

OBD11 seems fairly decent but their pricing tiers and 'credits' are bloody annoying and unnecessary, which might explain the marmite reviews. 

I don't know why people are so reluctant to spend 20 sheets on VCDS, but will happily spunk £350 on a crappy intake, or £1K+ on an exhaust  :stupid:

I would say a good 30-40% of the topics on here are related to diagnosing fault codes and running problems, and yet no one is willing to invest in the one thing that will help them out, double  :stupid: :stupid:

Which is exactly why I'm gonna spunk 400quid on VCDS  NET  over summer. I know it will pay for itself over the next 2 years and maintain high resale value should I want to sell it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 09:16:48 am »
I bought the Hex-Net (the WiFi one for those unfamiliar) 5-6 years ago, but had the USB cable version before that.

Personally I don't think HEX-NET is worth the extra over the cabled one, for the following reasons:

- The VCDS Mobile 'app' (it's far from an app, it just opens a browser  :grin: ) is utterly abysmal, buggy, slow and pretty much useless.

- Updating the Hex-Net's firmware can be a pain in the backside.

- Some of the Hex-Net's functions are cloud based, so you'll need 4G and Wi-fi at the same time.  Some phones can be faffy to enable that. 

- Standard Hex-Net has a 10 VIN limit. You'll need to pay an extra $100 for unlimited VINs.  Most enthusiasts will only need 10 though.

- Data speeds from the Hex-Net over wi-fi aren't as fast as USB (but it does also have a USB port).

If you want a polished app for phone or tablet, I would get OBD11 because VCDSs mobile 'app' has been sh1t for years and they seem to have zero interest in updating it to compete with OBD11.  Typical American complacency.

That said, you could just run the full Windows VCDS on a Surface Pro or clone Windows tablet, wire free.

But if like me, you're old school and prefer good old fashioned, honest god, corn fed laptop goodness.......then VCDS is the king of kings.  Nothing comes close.

So in summary:

Laptop/Tablet (with usb) - Get the regular cabled VCDS.

Phone/tablet only and wireless - Get OBD11, but suffer their stupid pricing. I think they are also moving to a subscription service like everyone else, so double annoying.

I would say VCDS is the best for data logging and also fault code translation.  All fault codes have to be OBD compliant, i.e. P0112 etc, but each manufacturer translates those Pxxxx codes slightly differently.  VCDS gets the VAG (and German!) translations spot on for quicker diagnosis.

Neither tool is perfect, but VCDS is probably the more reliable and trustworthy one, and it's a one off purchase with no hidden or 'in app' fees.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=14nh9mvp2nc02kkunckr3m6ih6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 12:21:15 pm »
Laptop. That's the missing link. I have a MacBook which I know I can run VCDS on it's just a faff. I could buy a cheap laptop but that also extra faff.

Will further investing the NET version. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 02:23:05 pm »
I bought a cheap second hand Thinkpad off ebay years ago for car stuff. 

Don't get me wrong, HEX-NET is OK if you just want to check something quickly on your phone on a road trip. Just trying to set your expectation levels as it's nothing like as good as a dedicated app from rival scan tools  :grin:

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 06:51:27 am »
I bought the Hex-Net (the WiFi one for those unfamiliar) 5-6 years ago, but had the USB cable version before that.

Personally I don't think HEX-NET is worth the extra over the cabled one, for the following reasons:

- The VCDS Mobile 'app' (it's far from an app, it just opens a browser  :grin: ) is utterly abysmal, buggy, slow and pretty much useless.

- Updating the Hex-Net's firmware can be a pain in the backside.

- Some of the Hex-Net's functions are cloud based, so you'll need 4G and Wi-fi at the same time.  Some phones can be faffy to enable that. 

- Standard Hex-Net has a 10 VIN limit. You'll need to pay an extra $100 for unlimited VINs.  Most enthusiasts will only need 10 though.

- Data speeds from the Hex-Net over wi-fi aren't as fast as USB (but it does also have a USB port).

If you want a polished app for phone or tablet, I would get OBD11 because VCDSs mobile 'app' has been sh1t for years and they seem to have zero interest in updating it to compete with OBD11.  Typical American complacency.

That said, you could just run the full Windows VCDS on a Surface Pro or clone Windows tablet, wire free.

But if like me, you're old school and prefer good old fashioned, honest god, corn fed laptop goodness.......then VCDS is the king of kings.  Nothing comes close.

So in summary:

Laptop/Tablet (with usb) - Get the regular cabled VCDS.

Phone/tablet only and wireless - Get OBD11, but suffer their stupid pricing. I think they are also moving to a subscription service like everyone else, so double annoying.

I would say VCDS is the best for data logging and also fault code translation.  All fault codes have to be OBD compliant, i.e. P0112 etc, but each manufacturer translates those Pxxxx codes slightly differently.  VCDS gets the VAG (and German!) translations spot on for quicker diagnosis.

Neither tool is perfect, but VCDS is probably the more reliable and trustworthy one, and it's a one off purchase with no hidden or 'in app' fees.

And when you’ve finished with it you get 60-70% of the cost back when you sell it on eBay. You’ll get zilch for an OBD11 app.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 08:51:46 am »
That's true. VCDS does have a good resale value.

I do beat on VCDS a lot but I wouldn't be without it.  It's brilliant for regular maintenance like throttle adaptation (for when it gets sticky from carbon build up), clearing learned values, checking calculated MAF air flow matches actual MAF etc.  Just general health checks and keeping it running as tip top as possible  :happy2:

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You