Make a donation

Author Topic: Front subframe creaks and future alignment  (Read 717 times)

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Front subframe creaks and future alignment
« on: June 09, 2022, 06:38:51 pm »
I appear to be getting some creaks from my front subframe, particularly when turning.

I understand the usual fix is collars/inserts and new bolts. However, I am also aware that there is very little geometry adjustment at the front end and that where adjustment like camber is required, the subframe moving appears to be the only solution.

Is that correct? If so, does fitting the collars risk pushing alignment out of spec? With cars approaching 20 years old I have no idea whether mine would be perfectly straight after fitting collars.

Aware that you can introduce adjustment in other places like balljoints, top mounts, control arm bushings etc, but in my experience, replacing fixed components with adjustable ones also increases the risk of being knocked out from potholes.

Would welcome thoughts.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:40:39 pm by breeze »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Front subframe creaks and future alignment
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 09:02:51 am »
Yes, unfortunately using collars highlights even more just how sloppy the factory tolerances are, hence the mounting holes being far bigger than the bolt shank. 

Honda S2000s are famous for the same issue, so it's not just VAG products.

The TyrolSport kit on mine made the handling far more consistent, as well as (permanently) shifting the clunkety clunks.

I corrected the camber with SuperPro BJs as you say.  I marked them with a paint pen after fitment and they haven't shifted.  I think they were put on back in 2018.

The subrame on mine was so far off, one BJ had to be fully in and it's opposite slid fully out to get somewhere close to even camber.  Think I ended up with -1.4ish.

This is why a lot of standard GTIs show stock -0.55 camber on one side, and -1.2 on the other. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 10:13:28 am »
Thanks for that.

So jumping into a collar kit and not adding adjustability/doing geometry may not be a good idea. The roads where I live are terrible and in recent years I have come to value cars that are on or close to factory spec without lots of adjustment (because it could get knocked out).

I have recent geometry from the previous owner that is good, and the car drives well and feels straight.

On balance I think tolerating the creaks and leaving for now is the answer. I will revisit the next time it gets geometry or I need to do something like fit lower ball joints.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 12:45:34 pm »
No need to fix what isn't broken  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D