Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein b14 top mount bearing rubber pad split?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rkidq3kt9lratbj7g61q24jd4o&/topic,131272.0.html
Bilstein b14 top mount bearing rubber pad split?
« on: June 12, 2022, 09:20:35 am »
So found this today after yesterday's track day

Seems like it's split. It's a rubber circle pad that sits between the spring and the bearing. My question is.. do I need to do anything or can I just leave it? Our other car has a completely sheared spring currently so tomorrow's long drive to the cotswolds will have to be in the golf, wondering if its wise to use it yet or not? Have not had a chance to check other side yet (manic weekend) or test drive it properly as when I drove it back I was fully loaded with tools anyway so it would mask any noises with spanners and Jack's moving around anyway.

I want to think that it's okay to leave it will just mean some premature wear to the bearing metal shield and the spring, which is not the end of the world as I'm not expecting these coilovers to do 10 years.

What's the consensus?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Bilstein b14 top mount bearing rubber pad split?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 03:02:31 pm »
Well, there's no pad there when originally stock. There's also no pads required when swapping springs. Only Bilstein seem to offer these spring pads with some of their kits. I can't imagine, after taking a close look at Bilstein's springs, that the pads are truly required. I say go with it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:01:53 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rkidq3kt9lratbj7g61q24jd4o&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 06:05:21 pm »
Well, there's no pad there when originally stock. There's no pads required for when swapping springs. Only Bilstein seem to offer these spring pads with their kits. I can't imagine, after taking a close look at Bilstein's springs, that the pads are truly required. I say go with it.

Didn't think about that... just checked other side and its exactly the same, its possible its been like that a while I guess and I've not noticed until now coincidentally!

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 06:54:12 pm »
There may be no pad there originally but your new setup will be firmed than stock.

I'd replace them with new items in case undue stress is being transferred to the suspension turret.

Maybe you just fitted them wrong or maybe they only exist to stop any potential squeaking?

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 09:22:07 pm »
There may be no pad there originally but your new setup will be firmed than stock.

I'd replace them with new items in case undue stress is being transferred to the suspension turret.

Maybe you just fitted them wrong or maybe they only exist to stop any potential squeaking?

I know what you're saying but the pad sits between the spring and the bearing. We'll before the mounting to the chassis so think it's more like possibly wear to the spring and metal shield of the bearing.

Quite possible I fitted them wrong, looked like a simple can't do it wrong install but very possibly it's my error to be honest.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 04:06:26 am »
The only thing I can think of is; most springs are left round to the upper end of the coil. Those setups never have a rubber cushion. But some of Bilstein's front coil-springs are flattened at the top. Maybe the cushion is only for those which are flattened so to give added grip onto the upper bearing for when it rotates. That's my best mechanical engineering guess.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 09:19:21 am »
It's probably just some kind NVH thingy.  I've never seen any other aftermarket suspension use them, so clearly not critical. Bin em'!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 11:37:47 am »
Yeah thanks guys, the grip of the springs did come to mind but the NVH also makes a lot of sense of metal on metal contact. Looks like it's nout to worry about anyway!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 09:05:02 pm »
Seem to have a very minor knock or noise now at very low speeds on small bumps. Drop links are new, arb is new, top mounts, bearings and coilovers are new, all the subframe bolts are marked and have not moved at all, doesn't seem to be play in ball joints (lemforder) and they're only about 16 months old and done 5k and two track days. Hoping it's just a bit of NVH from this top mount pad split! Seems to drive fine on road anyway so far.