Make a donation

Author Topic: Which Engine Oil  (Read 3368 times)

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Which Engine Oil
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 02:03:06 pm »
Why 5w-40 over 5w-30?
Also, and I am not sure what your Owner's Manual there states, mine came with the statement in the manual that it comes from the factory with Full Synthetic 5w40, but if 5w40 is not available...it is OK to use 5w30 so long as it has the VW 502.00 approval. I always suggest just use a full synthetic 5w40 and change it often or no more than 5k miles.

Now this is all stuff I have found recently. So this is the viewpoints and statements of others and not my own: I've seen one test where Miller's Nanodrive becoming super thick and gooey after a heat test and then chilled. I know everyone says it protects well and is Ester based and all, and that's all fine, but this would seem to be a problem once it has been used a bit and it gets cold. I wouldn't have believed it myself without seeing it. The other oil it was tested against performed very well in a cold pour test at this point in the test (following being heated for some time), but Miller's just stick within its chute and barely moved down it. I have also seen a post on facebook TFSI (R-Tech's page) where someone contacted Miller's and asked if their Nanodrive 5w40 was right for his car, driving style and intended intervals. He reported they told him no. It is more suited for racing where it will changed often.

Can you share the details of the test? Would make interesting reading. I may move to Quantum in the future.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 03:47:38 pm »
Can you share the details of the test? Would make interesting reading.
Sure, I actually just found the video. Didn't think I would, but I remembered it was one of Miller's Nanotech 5w30 offerings compared to one most wouldn't likely consider, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. The test does prove Miller's has a good amount of Wear Additives but evaporates more and gets quite thick when cold.

Here is the video link I watched:

Here is a snapshot of the beginning of the cold pour test:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:07:41 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 12:35:32 pm »
Good old Project Farm  :happy2:

Regarding the cold test, the UK will never see temperatures that low but it's still interesting to see how stodgy it gets though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 10:28:41 pm »
Yes - I saw that vid ages ago, it made me think about all the peeps proudly using nanotech on here.
The follow up to this has Amazon basics own synthetic oil - for budget price it did really well - but not available in UK

I will stick with the Quantum platinum - it has all the vitamins and minerals my VW needs.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 05:12:09 pm »
Yes - I saw that vid ages ago, it made me think about all the peeps proudly using nanotech on here.

I will stick with the Quantum platinum - it has all the vitamins and minerals my VW needs.
Yes, very proud.
Partly due to Rowe Tech's (seemingly great, if not one of the best, tuning folks there) facebook page having this home picture, and many do follow it;

But Miller's 5W40 costs $115usd/5L here. Miller's does state it is a "Motorsport Oil" which is the type you might change every 500 miles of racing, or sooner.

I can get 5W40:
LiquiMoly Leichtlauf or Synthoil for $42usd...Molygen New Gen for $50usd
Mobil1 (Euro) for $34usd
Castrol Edge for $24usd
Motul X-cess for $50usd
Fuchs Supersyn or GT1 for $40

So...when you look at getting 2 to nearly 4 times your 5L jugs for the price of one Miller's, and you change the oil often say every 3k miles. Then the Miller's price seems unjustifiable....for myself.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 03:41:16 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k79cv16r6j6tttk2i84d8tu62k&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2022, 06:21:39 pm »
Ahhh I made that graphic back in my Facebook days. Old info but still relevant

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 03:50:04 pm »
Ahhh I made that graphic back in my Facebook days. Old info but still relevant
Nice...you definitely included all of "the right stuff" on it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2022, 09:18:49 am »
But Miller's 5W40 costs $115usd/5L here. Miller's does state it is a "Motorsport Oil" which is the type you might change every 500 miles of racing.

I can get 5W40:
Mobil1 (Euro) for $34usd
Castrol Edge for $24usd
Motul X-cess for $50usd

So...when you look at near 3 to sometimes 4 - 5L jugs for the price of one Miller's, and you change the oil often say every 3k miles, the Miller's price seems unjustifiable....for myself.

Wow, you pay very little for oil compared to Europe!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 01:14:06 pm »
Im considering switching from Castrol Edge 5w30 to Quantum 5w40. Is everyone using the Quantum Platinum or Quantum Synta?

Cheers

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 03:36:39 pm »
Im considering switching from Castrol Edge 5w30 to Quantum 5w40. Is everyone using the Quantum Platinum or Quantum Synta?

Cheers
I would imagine Platinum is preferred over Synta in the MK5 GTI.
They state the Platinum is for high performance turbo charged engines where the Synta does not.
Synta states it is for extended drain intervals where Platinum does not. And the GTI is not recommended for long drain intervals. With all of that said, Synta does have the VW 502.00 Approval, but Platinum is Low-Ash which is also better for having less deposits. Especially near the piston ring area (a problem zone in our engine), which is critical for engine health.

Synta: https://tps.trade/media/custom/upload/10905_Quantum_SYNTA_5W-40_v3.pdf

Platinum: https://tps.trade/media/catalog/product/file/11044_Platinum_5W-40.pdf

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 03:50:24 pm »
But Miller's 5W40 costs $115usd/5L here. Miller's does state it is a "Motorsport Oil" which is the type you might change every 500 miles of racing.

I can get 5W40:
Mobil1 (Euro) for $34usd
Castrol Edge for $24usd
Motul X-cess for $50usd

So...when you look at near 3 to sometimes 4 - 5L jugs for the price of one Miller's, and you change the oil often say every 3k miles, the Miller's price seems unjustifiable....for myself.

Wow, I have trouble trying to pull up prices there, but I did find Castrol Edge can be €40 to €50 per 5 liter bottle.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2022, 04:59:28 pm »

I can get 5W40:
Mobil1 (Euro) for $34usd
Castrol Edge for $24usd
Motul X-cess for $50usd

@ROH ECHT - have you come across the FCP Euro lifetime auto parts guarantee - that covers consumables...only rub is you have to send the old item back...IE shipping used oil & filter for replacement:

Applicable for international customer too.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2022, 02:45:57 pm »

@ROH ECHT - have you come across the FCP Euro lifetime auto parts guarantee - that covers consumables...only rub is you have to send the old item back...IE shipping used oil & filter for replacement:

A couple of years ago is when I learned of their amazing warranty.
I haven't used them for consumables such as oil & filter etc.. But I did order my replacement K04 from them last year. I thought it would be wise to do so since they had the best warranty on a turbo, LOL. It was a genuine Borg Warner, rather the OE. Which only meant it had a BW tag on it instead of a VAG tag. I do plan on ordering from them more for say MAF or O2 sensors, and other bits which I may have spares for. Just so if I need to return something, I will have a spare to use while waiting for warranty replacements to arrive. Because yeah, with their warranty, you have to return something and then wait for them to do whatever they do and return a replacement.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2022, 03:16:29 pm »
have you come across the FCP Euro lifetime auto parts guarantee - that covers consumables...only rub is you have to send the old item back...IE shipping used oil & filter for replacement:

A couple of years ago is when I learned of their amazing warranty.
I haven't used them for consumables such as oil & filter etc., yet. But I did order my replacement K04 from them last year. I thought it would be wise to do so since they had the best warranty on a new turbo, LOL. It was a genuine Borg Warner and cost $1100usd. Which only meant it had a BW tag on it instead of a VAG tag. I spoke with someone there before and I believe their recommendation is you buy replacements when needed before sending one back. Once you have the replacement, you then return the used parts in the box they sent the replacement in, and then issue a refund. So yeah...shipping is the issue, but they refund tax. So make contact and find out if all of your taxes would be refunded.
Here is their return process:

Here is one's experience with a return...and his taxes were refunded, but not the return shipping: