Make a donation

Author Topic: Very budget track build  (Read 52087 times)

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Very budget track build
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2023, 09:16:42 pm »
I really do not understand the point in progressive springs, they just seem to ride like crap and give less performance.

Yup! Exactly why I was less than thrilled by the Racingline kit. Every aftermarket progressive spring I've tried has been sh1te. OEM ones are far better, but still not ideal. Linear all the way  :happy2:

Is that harness tape the OEM style soft felt type stuff? If so it's really good  :happy2:

yeah mate the oem style, trying to keep  as neat and tidy as possible.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2023, 09:31:05 pm »
Removed heater core and got a 180 degree ally tube re-route it. I still need to get another jubilee clip and some foil tape and secure it though.

blank silicone plug too

Full setup looks like this to delete the entire heater core and AC:

started gathering wiring. its very scary to start getting it ready to remove and hoping nothing breaks dramatically but a good learning point. I have heard of some other cars of similar age ditching over 10kg from just wiring... I don't think we will ditch that much as its still going to be mot worthy but I will be happy with half that frankly.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 09:35:07 pm by Clarkj93 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2023, 11:12:05 pm »
Blimey, it's on a proper diet!  Nifty heater bypass  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2024, 10:15:39 pm »
Been quite a long break! A trip to London, another to Amsterdam, a skiing holiday and working from dawn to dusk every day meant no time whatsoever to keep up to date. I've been trying to force myself to get back into it the last 2 weeks after losing a lot of motivation, good news is I've done some stuff for a change!

Sealed off the firewall, 2mm aluminium plate riveted down and using a heat resistant sealant, then just used some foil tape as a bit of extra thermal resistance to keep the cabin cooler.

Lightened the dash and made it generally easier to install/remove by getting rid of the brackets that are not needed anymore. 1.5kg saved overall which is nothing to be sniffed at considering its free and makes it easier to fit now.

Went in so much easier, took all of about 3 minutes to fit.

Made a new control panel, ABS sheet with carbon look to it.

Lots of little jobs to do and need to do a test of some of the electrics but aiming to book it in within a month. Been doing a bit of reading on what I want/can justify the cost of and what designs I will get value out of. Gussets on A and B pillars  for example look great but the cost to take windshield and side windows out and back in and the labour/material cost would be quite an increase on the overall cost. A rear strut brace and dash bar between the A pillars are simple to add but add a lot of rigidity so great value. Not sure what I am going to do about paint yet though! Definitely want to keep the cost low for paint, as long as it protects it from rust and does not look terrible I'm okay with that.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2024, 01:06:18 pm »
Good stuff having a break as you don't want car fatigue setting in!

Love that picture of the angle grinder next to the dash with chunks on the floor  :grin:  Not normally a part you see people attacking with a grinder  :happy2: :grin:

You must be running out of things to remove/lighten?  :grin:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #275 on: March 12, 2024, 10:02:03 pm »
Good stuff having a break as you don't want car fatigue setting in!

Love that picture of the angle grinder next to the dash with chunks on the floor  :grin:  Not normally a part you see people attacking with a grinder  :happy2: :grin:

You must be running out of things to remove/lighten?  :grin:

haha yeah almost all of the free weight savings mods done now :(

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #276 on: March 12, 2024, 10:59:39 pm »
Battery relocation done!

Trimmed the battery bracket so I could use it to mount a transfer box for the starter cable and the positive cable

Placed the battery then behind the passenger seat. Opted over the boot for a few reasons... simpler install, less cable required, closer to the moment of inertia so can help rotation. Should also help the cross weights a little. Its just a cheap 50 quid mobility scooter battery, starts up fine though! There is a lot removed now though, including the comfort pack so really not many electric modules or features still left to manage.

MOT man mentioned the bearings were going... had a bit of wheel wobble too. Its been sat for a while so I just took all the wheels off sanded down the hubs really well, re-greased and torqued wheels back up and got the tyre pressures right and its fine now! I wonder how many people fall into a false negative and end up paying 200+ quid in part for bearings or double getting the garage to do it.

Also car is officially booked in for the cage  :pomppomp: lots planned, lotta money too :grin:

I've done a bit of research on cages to get it booked in. So gone for the Production GTI Spec cage that Retro Resus provide with some tweaks so overall its a 6 point cage with a rear strut brace, dash bar, rear X, hoop X and driver seat weld in mounts. The rear strut brace and dash bar make a big improvement to rigidity, have gussetts on A + B pillars do too but not to the same level after some research, they do look awesome though but that would add quite a good chunk of cost to overall build so I left that for now.

This gives you an idea what the outcome will be, these are some retro resus Production gti built cars

They're also going to strip out unnecessary brackets, and trim the boot, and ditch the crash bars and excess metal in the doors themselves and replace front windows with polycarb ones. So after all that it should negate the weight of the cage or be very close anyway. No idea what to do about paint yet :grin: Although it will be done at a warmer and dryer time of year so no manic rush to get that sorted.

They're also going to fit Aerocatches to the boot, and strip out the massive chunk of leftover wiring, and then its a geo setup and good to go!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2024, 01:12:52 pm »
Good work  :happy2:  I wanted to relocate the battery on mine as well, to make room for the much bigger TTS air box, but never got around to it!