Make a donation

Author Topic: Adolf the Golf  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Adolf the Golf
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 04:07:30 pm »
More money thrown at Adolf today....a job I never thought I'd tackle too...pretty easy to do the air conditioning top up and well worth the effort! Icy cold air blowing out now after using Windows and a sunroof more over the past month than I have in 10 years or more. The gas is expensive and I don't know how easy it'll be to get the £10 rebait on the can...but hey...its another job ticked off . Hopefully none of you will tell me I've just filled up a bleed point for something else with A/c refrigerant..lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2022, 01:45:17 pm »
So today's little job before I start work...the wheels need a refurb I am fully aware of that, but the centre caps being swapped has drawn my eye away from that temporarily and for a fraction of the cost too! Have also got rid of the locking wheel nuts thanks to the muppet who did my puncture repair destroying the key with his impact wrench...despite my pleas of "I'll put the wheel back on"...ffs...hopefully my theory of nobody nicks wheels anymore of these is true! Just need a set of plastic covers for the nuts now.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 06:42:16 pm »
So, the sagging headlining saga....£5 of spray glue didn't fix it, but in the immortal words of Whitney Houston "it's not right, but it's okay" ....its a job that can wait for a proper fix when I am not spending half my wages on gas and electric!

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2022, 12:25:00 am »
Lovely car and a great purchase, can't beat the 18" monzas! Yes, these cars are a little bit of a money pit but they are usually only little nibbles at your bank account.

Enjoying the thread so far!  :drinking:
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 09:30:39 am »
The wheels look better than the headlining at the minute! Thanks for the comment, I cannot help but think about whether I should have just stuck with a company car at times...but then I look at the Golf and think that I am saving it one bit at a time....by swapping a bit, chucking the old one away, then replacing with a brand new bit! Lol.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 08:28:11 pm »
So bit of a busy few days with the old beast! Starting with the smaller stuff...the old DV which was in better shape than I thought it would be..In the bin! As mighty car mods would say...New GFB and new solenoid too. Worst bit was getting the multiplug off. Seems to make a nicer noise now, no noticeable difference apart from that, but it's future proof!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 06:19:58 pm »
So this happened a few weeks back..before MOT time..I decided to bite the bullet and buy a gravity turbo back system..the old exhaust had a repair from before my tenure which I hated, it was a mish mash of factory and Miltek and was generally a mess. Yes the Gravity is cheap and I am not expecting it to be the best..but it has a 200 cell cat, has neat welds, fits pretty good, isn't too loud and is better than what was there previously. It came with all the clamps etc. all I bought was a new set of nuts for the turbo, though upon inspection the downpipe had been off before and not too long ago. I used some ebay vouchers and got the lot for under £400.. 3 inch downpipe with 200 cell cat and the middle silencer and backbox too..bargain! I am sure there will be the " why not buy a proper brand" questions...the answer is I don't need that on a car like this. Everyone is different I guess!

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 08:09:31 pm »
Impressed by the price of the exhaust system. Under £600 for a full TBE with 200 cel cat make all the other systems look ridiculously over priced. What’s the catch??
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:28:23 pm by GilesWoodward59 »
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2022, 02:04:51 pm »
I think the catch is that it should have been an awful lot more than that but I piggybacked some voucher codes and somehow it went through! Other than that so far so good. I am sure it won’t outlast some of the competition, but it’ll outlast my ownership of the car in all likelihood!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 02:21:57 pm »
So my other advisory on the MOT was 2 weeping dampers...as you can see I also found another broken coil ( there were the rears done on the MOT before I bought it) at the front so I already had a set of adjustable coilovers with pillow ball top mounts and uprated drop links ready to go ...what a sh!t of a job getting the dampers out of the hubs! I was toying with swapping the hubs for the aluminium Passhat ones in the future but frankly don't ever want to take the wheels off ever again now. Have them at factory height give or take and the dampers pretty soft for road use..Will start looking for bushes and wish bones etc early next year and maybe ARBs too..depends how often I use it in anger in the spring as I have another track toy available which was going to get mothballed for a rebuild. Let's see!

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 05:37:48 pm »
You’ve been bussy!! Great work done!!  :happy2: Enjoy it👍🏻

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 10:27:35 pm »
Thanks dude!  :happy2:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2022, 05:43:40 pm »
So while I was away with the GLW in NY Adolf had an MOT and a belt change....I won't put the price on here as I am a long term customer and don't want to promise they'll do the same for all ( though I am not special I can assure you!) but I would recommend FastFit Cheshunt to all...clean MOT, they did replace the exhaust clamp that I asked them to aswell but said the Golf is in rude health for its age...Good to hear!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 06:54:39 pm »
So...finally got around to swapping the left rear wheel sensor as that's what OBDeleven said was the issue..hey presto 200m down the road we are lit up again...was gonna miss those lights! Oh, and I did tighten the bolt and yes it's rusty under there!

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2023, 02:30:12 am »
So...finally got around to swapping the left rear wheel sensor as that's what OBDeleven said was the issue..hey presto 200m down the road we are lit up again...was gonna miss those lights! Oh, and I did tighten the bolt and yes it's rusty under there!

If it's rusty chances are the bearing needs replacing too, there's a magnetic ring attached to it that the sensor reads. Had the same issue and replaced both the sensor and bearing and the lights went away. Really tight big bolt to get off if you do it yourself. And you might want to replace the break dust shields at the same time as they need the bearing off too.