Make a donation

Author Topic: Battery Parasitic Draw & Other Electrical Issues  (Read 470 times)

Offline ColonelCrash

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Battery Parasitic Draw & Other Electrical Issues
« on: June 16, 2022, 01:16:40 pm »
Hey Guys,

New to the forum and new to GTI Ownership.

I've been having issues with an '06 GTI mainly related to the electricals of the car.
Some things to point out before proceeding:
  • Car has been sat for over a year and then moved back and forth in a garage for the last 3 months while it had it's paint corrected and wings replaced etc.
  • New battery has been installed
Main issue is parasitic draw overnight, research I've done on here and elsewhere suggests its the car siren alarm (can this just be disconnected and left? I plan on fitting a Ghost 2 immobiliser in near future and already use a steering lock). I've checked for no interior lights being left on, radio switches off etc.
To add to this, the alarm appears to be going off every now and again but no sound, just indicators flashing.
Once the car is powered on I have no warning lights except airbag warning (but will get that sorted later on).
And finally the central locking system via fob/key is only unlocking the driver side door.

I'm going to be getting a multi-meter on it this weekend for diagnosis but any pointers in what to look at would be greatly appreciated.
I have access to an '08 Golf S so can swap relays and fuses if needed.

Thanks,
Joe.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Battery Parasitic Draw & Other Electrical Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:12:09 am »
What stereo is in the car.  Later Mk6 ones that can be fitted to the Mk5 draw power when off and need the canbus updated to a newer version.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline ColonelCrash

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Battery Parasitic Draw & Other Electrical Issues
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:04:44 am »
Its the RCD300, same as in both Golf's never had an issue with them.
At least so far.