Make a donation

Author Topic: head units with DAB, CarPlay  (Read 923 times)

Offline xcentric

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
head units with DAB, CarPlay
« on: June 23, 2022, 12:39:07 pm »
I had changed my original head unit for an RCD540, but am missing CarPlay.

What is the current best option for a CarPlay compatible head - tried the 330G but it's not got DAB and turns out that I need DAB around where I life as FM is too patchy.

RCD 340g plus? seems to be a copy of the VW RCD units but updated.....  need ok quality sound but not audiophile.  Like the OEM look.

Anything else to consider?

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Re: head units with DAB, CarPlay
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 01:00:39 pm »
My view FWIW…

I have tended to buy Android OEM-looking head units for my cars. I was going to say ‘Made in China’ but the reality is that it is all made in China. Look good, always sound terrible. I am no audiophile.

Recently I compared that sound to a quality double-DIN unit from Pioneer. One of the SPH DAB models. Does not look like an OEM product by an stretch but the sound quality, DAB quality and CarPlay integration is massively better.

Given the choice next time I would always go for a quality brand, even if sacrificing looks.

Offline xcentric

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 01:03:27 pm »
did the non-oem unit come with a suitable fascia surround, since the cutout is not rectangular? Or are they easily obtainable?

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 02:16:13 pm »
did the non-oem unit come with a suitable fascia surround, since the cutout is not rectangular? Or are they easily obtainable?

Fascia surrounds are easy to get hold of. Make sure you get one that matches the colour of the dash.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 10:21:01 pm »
That's one "joy" of the chinese ones - they are shaped to fit the facia hole - and they use the available space too, mine is a 9 inch screen.

Offline xcentric

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 10:55:11 am »
So am probably going to go for an aftermarket one as the dash-sized Chinese ones, or Lithuanian versions of the VW ones, don't have the features I'd like.  Found the fascia surrounds.  But regarding fitting, how does the DIN cage fit in the space - is it a straightforward fit? some fascias seem to have parts of a cage around them to alleviate the problem, and obviously the poem units are held in not by a cage but by the 4 screws on the front.

So do I need a fascia with cage attached, or will any one do?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 11:13:51 am »
I've used a couple of different cage/fascia for aftermarket units on my golf.

The best one I found was CT24VW12 from connects2.  It's good as the metal brackets and the plastic fascia can be fitted to the head unit before it goes in, and it uses the original acres to mount.  It gives a rock solid fitment. It does however mean that if you want to remove the head unit, you need to remove trim panels around to get to the bolts.  Other ones I've used where you have a traditional cage never fitted in a solid way, but you don't need to remove trim as the fascia 'clips'in so easybto remove it and then get the head unit out using the 'keys'.

Offline xcentric

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 11:39:24 am »
thanks for that - I don't mind removing the fascia as I don't upgrade the radio that often!

I've been reading that I need something to give a switched live to the radio as VW uses CANbus to wake their own units - are the wiring loom adapters (at about £50!!) worthwhile or do you just run a cable to the switched live in the door side fusebox?

Offline xcentric

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 11:41:47 am »
current thinking is the Sony XAV-AX1005DB Media Receiver - DAB+ bluetooth CarPlay, and a volume knob. Considered the Pioneers, but the Sony is £280 and seems good value for money, and has reasonable reviews.  If there are others in this price range or similar people recommend, let me know.....

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 12:18:18 pm »
Cant comment on the adapter lead - but for the power, you will need both constant live and switched ignition live feeds, plus an earth.

This shape / type of radio was used throughout the VAG brands - a cage adapter to suit the single/double din should be easy to source.

Are you wanting to use DAB?  - If your current head doesn't have DAB, you will need to look into DAB antea.

GPS antenna doesn't need clear view of sky - usually works fine being just under the dash pocket/vent.