Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Warning!  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Achieved

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Oil Pressure Warning!
« on: September 18, 2022, 05:07:12 pm »
Thursday night I did my first ever oil and dsg fluid change. Friday everything was well and the car felt great. Yesterday the Oil Pressure Warning light came on and I was so confused. I didn't know what it meant exactly but I pulled over, looked under the car, no leaks. Checked oil level and it was fine. I'm not too sure what I do?

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Oil Pressure Warning!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 08:53:24 pm »
Hello, I literally just had the exact same happen to me little over a week ago… red oil pressure warning light with audible beep consult owners manual! I done a little research and it’s mostly the oil pick up pipe in the sump (partially blocked) as mine was… you need to get it fixed asap and not drive the car until fixed. I only drove mine slowly to my local garage.

Under-tray off
Drain oil
Sump off (cleaned)
Oil pickup removed (cleaned)
New oil, filter and sump sealer
New oil sump washer.

If the light does come back… it’s something more serious like oil pump. But for now the cars been fine. Hope that helps… 👍
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:00:25 pm by GreigC »

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:17:45 pm »
Unfortunately getting the red flashing oil pressure light is pretty serious. It means the engine is not getting sufficient oil pressure to keep all the engine internals sufficiently lubricated, resulting in extreme engine wear, which is why it's so important to get this fixed sooner rather than later.

Low oil pressure can be as a result of different things, I've sorted them by how easy it is to check them:

-Oil level being too low/too high.
-Incorrect oil grade (correct oil for this engine is 5W30 or 5W40, depending on mileage and tuning).
-PCV valve failure.
-Oil pump pick up pipe clogged.
-Oil pressure sensor failure.
-Oil pump balance shaft/shaft sprocket bolt failure.
-Worn piston rings, connecting rod bearings or main bearings (unlikely unless it's a really high mileage engine).
-Oil squirter failure (also very unlikey).

Hopefully you can figure out what's wrong before it's too late. These aren't cheap engines to replace and they are notorious for low oil pressure. Also it's important to note that oil pressure is only is not measured at idle; the sensor only checks the oil pressure above ~1200rpm.

I would always recommend buying an oil pressure gauge but it's a massive hassle getting the oil pressure sensor out on these engines so up to you on that one. If you do decide to get one here are the specifications your engine should be meeting when fully warmed up: 

Also, were there any suspicious rattling sounds or a burning smell when you had low oil pressure?
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 11:14:53 am »
Like the others, I always assume blocked oil pickup with posts like this.

That said, the fact that you have just done an oil change does make me wonder whether it could be related to that. What oil specification did you use and are you sure the oil level is between max and min on the stick? Engine hot and then stopped for 15 minutes ideally but don’t do that here because you really want to minimise running time.

I’ve seen an overfilled car give an oil warning light before. There is a funny sequence involving opening the bonnet and cycling the ignition to reset it, even after removing some of the oil.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 11:01:44 am »
Does anyone know if the oil pressure sender is a 0V or open circuit to trigger, or a closed circuit?

Just thinking given how common this is on ageing TFSI engines, if some previous owners have disconnected the oil pressure switch, or put a resistor on it to mask this problem?  :thinking:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 05:35:59 pm »
Does anyone know if the oil pressure sender is a 0V or open circuit to trigger, or a closed circuit?

Just thinking given how common this is on ageing TFSI engines, if some previous owners have disconnected the oil pressure switch, or put a resistor on it to mask this problem?  :thinking:

When the switch is not plugged the low oil pressure light will start flashing once above 1200RPM and stay flashing if kept above that RPM for a couple seconds.

I know this from when I was measuring the oil pressure with a gauge and the switch out.

I think it would be a lot of effort getting a resistor in. In my case, the previous owners wanting to mask the issue simply added an oil additive to hide the issue (raise the oil pressure) then sold it to me  :sad1:
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 12:10:58 pm »

When the switch is not plugged the low oil pressure light will start flashing once above 1200RPM and stay flashing if kept above that RPM for a couple seconds.

I know this from when I was measuring the oil pressure with a gauge and the switch out.

I think it would be a lot of effort getting a resistor in. In my case, the previous owners wanting to mask the issue simply added an oil additive to hide the issue (raise the oil pressure) then sold it to me  :sad1:

Good to know, thanks  :happy2:

Yeah thick oil and/or a can of Wynns "Stop smoke" would help mask the problem for sure!

It's not just our old cars though.  Yesterday I could smell burning oil and assumed it was my car as I had the window open.  Nope, it was a 2017 Mini Cooper 4 cars ahead.  Similarly, a 2019 M140i the other week was blowing blue smoke sat in traffic.  Engines are just getting worse, and more and more throw away.  I honestly can't wait for the EV revolution. One moving part  :grin:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 12:14:12 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D