Make a donation

Author Topic: Door dropped after window regulator change  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Door dropped after window regulator change
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:04:21 pm »
As above I replaced the regulator in the d/s of the gti (3 door) and when it was all out back together the door has dropped considerably on the handle end. Saw the guide for adjusting the hinge but before I give that a go I just want to check that I shouldn’t disassemble the door skin to try and refit again before messing with the hinge.

TIA

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Door dropped after window regulator change
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 10:21:26 am »
Has the whole door dropped, or just the alignment of the outer panel?  You know when the whole door has dropped because it doesn't latch smoothly when closing it, and visibly lifts up as it hooks onto the B pillar.

Maybe the reduction in weight from removing the door skin and old regulator tweaked the hinge whilst you were fitting the new one?  I can't see there being enough slack in the door skin to allow so much misalignment?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 12:28:07 pm »
Has the whole door dropped, or just the alignment of the outer panel?  You know when the whole door has dropped because it doesn't latch smoothly when closing it, and visibly lifts up as it hooks onto the B pillar.

Maybe the reduction in weight from removing the door skin and old regulator tweaked the hinge whilst you were fitting the new one?  I can't see there being enough slack in the door skin to allow so much misalignment?

It’s the whole door, it’s catching on the sill protectors when I close it. The skin is def on straight. Just wanted to check I wasn’t missing something obvious as hinges are not my speciality lol. I think you’re right about the reduction in weight tweaking the hinge. Off to follow your guide on raising the door. Thanks 🙏🏼

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 04:29:51 pm »
Hopefully just that then  :happy2:

I still don't fully understand how that hinge works. Undo a nut and then open the door whilst lifting it at the same time. Odd. But if it works  :grin:

Question is though, why did the hinge adjust itself during your regulator swap if the nut wasn't loosened. Equally odd!

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 04:45:21 pm »
could it be the screws holding the skin in place iirc there are 3 different ones

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 11:06:16 am »
Hopefully just that then  :happy2:

I still don't fully understand how that hinge works. Undo a nut and then open the door whilst lifting it at the same time. Odd. But if it works  :grin:

Question is though, why did the hinge adjust itself during your regulator swap if the nut wasn't loosened. Equally odd!

Door now sorted using your guide. Thanks a million bud saved me a lot of hassle  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 12:29:52 pm »
Glad it helped  :happy2: