All Things MK6 R and GTI > MK6 General Area

Chain tensioner

(1/2) > >>

slynch23:
I’ve recently bought a mk6 GTI and have read about the daily with the chain tensioner. I keep reading conflicting info regarding which models have the revised part. Does anyone know for definite what age cars are safe? Mine is a 61 plate. I’ve read they’re the ones that are on but also read it’s 12 plates onwards.

john_o:
i have an Ed35 so its a different engine so havent researched it fully (only to rule it out).
From everything Ive seen the best bet is to have the inspection cover off and take a picture to be 100% sure  (you can then see not only the type of tensioner but the number of threads showing. doing it by dates/plates etc has a margin of error.

slynch23:
Thanks for the reply mate, I’ll have a go at having a look myself then. I thought the ED35 had the mk5 engine and was belt driven?

john_o:
you can also check on VCDS for variance if you have that or someone close with it (im in warrington if that helps with VCDS)

the Ed35 (like the Ed30 ) uses the CDL engine (CDLG for ED35) which is an older design but has the K04 turbo etc (EA113)  , which is a completely different engine to the Mk6 gti (EA888) , and as you say differs in the drive method belt vs chain (as well as a lot of other factors)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=86&t=1620969

pudding:
Should be OK on a 12 plate.

It was the very early EA888 engines that had the famous chain & tensioner issue. 09-10.  I think VW had sorted it by late 2010.

The thing with the EA888 engine (unlike the EA113) is it won't start at all if the chain stretches too much, so you will know immediately when it's time to get the wallet/spanners out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version