Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone Had This Tapping/Clicking Noise?  (Read 815 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Anyone Had This Tapping/Clicking Noise?
« on: July 27, 2022, 09:42:03 am »
I know engine noises in the MK5 are well documented but I couldn't find an example of the following which I am experiencing.

When the engine gets warm I get a tapping/clicking noise to the left of the engine, which seems to be behind the cover below.

The noise follows a pattern though of tap...taptap....tap...taptap. The pattern gets slightly quicker as the cars speed increases.

I used to get a weird flutter/rattle noise from this area, but recently I overfilled my car with oil which caused it to run rough. Since taking the excess oil out I am left with this tapping noise instead.

Anyone know what this might be? Car seems to be running fine otherwise.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Anyone Had This Tapping/Clicking Noise?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 11:22:57 am »
It could be a noisy belt idle pulley that side.

I had this recently.......after getting a cambelt change done one of the idle pulleys/roller was tired. New genuine kit fitted and noise went.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 10:33:02 pm »
Could also be water/coolant pump. When a timing belt is due, I always recommend replacing all of the pulleys (as mentioned) and the water/coolant pump at the same time.

But it may also be a damaged rocker at the front of the engine. I say this so you have another direction should your attempts made with the belt, pulleys, and pump fail to resolve this.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 11:32:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. Took the cover off, pulleys look fine, cambelt and water pump both done about 20k ago. Really hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from, I actually think it's coming from further back in the back left of the engine but not much of note there other than power steering fluid. Doesn't seem to be lights or air con. Ignition coils look fine, checked in case it was a sparking issue. Will just have to keep an eye on it.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 08:10:55 am »
The Mk5 does not use power steering fluid as it is an electric motor rack
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 12:06:02 am »
Sorry meant brake fluid  :doh: