Make a donation

Author Topic: It had to happen sooner or later  (Read 6054 times)

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
Re: It had to happen sooner or later
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 06:11:31 pm »
Would you sell the ED30 alloys separately? Might be interested… not sure WBAC would notice of you put stock GTI alloys on it.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 06:27:31 pm »
Please let me know if you do end up going to WBAC as i would be interested if you were open to selling. They always try and knock some off for anything as little as stone chips so maybe we could come to an agreement that beats their price.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 07:25:46 pm »
Sorry to hear that @Pudding - at least you got plod to do something useful.
Didn't you do something with the clutch a while ago? or was that part of the box swap.

Be aware the Mk7 GTTD is a thirsty beast, work mate used to have one as CC, even with mileage paid for he was still glad to see the end to the fuel bill for non work stuff - but he loved the handling & torque.
He moved onto a 3 series (something with E drive) and bemoans the Munich cars its handling compared to the Wolfsburg effort.
Despite being very Scottish - even plays the bag pipes - he didn't like the tartan, so I count him as a partial convert!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 09:35:37 am »
Yeah it had a new Helix clutch and MK6 gearbox summer 2020 I think, so it had better not be the slave cylinder already!

Yeah well, that's VW diesel gate for you  :grin:  All of the German car brands are flat out liars when it comes to mpg claims, so them being thirsty in the real world is a given.

The Honest John website has real world mpg tables from real world people, and the BMW diesels seem OK. You need the M sport suspension to bring a 3 series alive, but the F30 shape in general drives really well, even the hum drum 320d.  The main reason I'm after a 1 or 3 series is because of the ZF 8 speed auto. It's bloody brilliant for commuting  :smiley:

Yeah I might advertise the ED30 on here but tbh, if the garage takes it in as part ex, that's my preferred option. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ijunmtb8h7dsviujgllbj97rdf&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 10:12:24 am »
Yeah it had a new Helix clutch and MK6 gearbox summer 2020 I think, so it had better not be the slave cylinder already!

Yeah well, that's VW diesel gate for you  :grin:  All of the German car brands are flat out liars when it comes to mpg claims, so them being thirsty in the real world is a given.

The Honest John website has real world mpg tables from real world people, and the BMW diesels seem OK. You need the M sport suspension to bring a 3 series alive, but the F30 shape in general drives really well, even the hum drum 320d.  The main reason I'm after a 1 or 3 series is because of the ZF 8 speed auto. It's bloody brilliant for commuting  :smiley:

Yeah I might advertise the ED30 on here but tbh, if the garage takes it in as part ex, that's my preferred option.

Yeah you'd get good value on here selling it I think, it's been super well documented and everyone knows how much attention to detail you've given it mechanically. I'd buy if I wanted an ED30 right now. I'm too much in on my own now that selling it would be accepting how much money I've lost on it so can't bare it :grin: selling cars privately can be a faff, I hate it personally but can mean considerably more money in your pocket. I've found part ex-ing usually better than WBAC offers in the past also.

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 03:30:43 pm »
The long term mpg for my 16 plate GTD is 50, that is a mix town and motorway. My 30 mile commute is normally between 50 - 53 mpg. I nearly always drive it in sport mode, but on a motorway run it will do 58 mpg, when driven in normal mode. I don't bother with eco mode as I hate the lack of acceleration.   

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2022, 04:02:45 pm »

Yeah you'd get good value on here selling it I think, it's been super well documented and everyone knows how much attention to detail you've given it mechanically. I'd buy if I wanted an ED30 right now. I'm too much in on my own now that selling it would be accepting how much money I've lost on it so can't bare it :grin: selling cars privately can be a faff, I hate it personally but can mean considerably more money in your pocket. I've found part ex-ing usually better than WBAC offers in the past also.

Cheers mate, there's certainly no hiding this car's history  :grin: 
Buying and selling cars is just a major faff in general  :grin:  As a buyer, the sellers often exaggerate their car's condition, which = wasted journeys. And as a seller, 9 times in 10 you get jerked about by viewers, which = irritation and time wasted.
I find a trade-in is just a good bargaining chip and spares you the aggro of a private sale  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2022, 04:08:02 pm »
The long term mpg for my 16 plate GTD is 50, that is a mix town and motorway. My 30 mile commute is normally between 50 - 53 mpg. I nearly always drive it in sport mode, but on a motorway run it will do 58 mpg, when driven in normal mode. I don't bother with eco mode as I hate the lack of acceleration.

Thanks for that.  Certainly much higher figures than I've seen mentioned elsewhere, like MK7 forums/pistonheads etc.  Most folk mention low 40s if driven hard, and mid-high 30s if stuck in traffic. I thought petrols were bad on fuel in traffic, but diesels seem even worse for some reason!

MK7 GTDs are massively overpriced at the moment, so I'm on the fence with those. Some are asking £18K+ for a 5-6 year old one! They were only £27K new!  £18K gets you a pretty nice 330 or 335d  :smiley: 

Do you know when the GTD switch to 7 speed?  All are wet clutch gearboxes?

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2022, 04:34:36 pm »
I don't know about the autos as mine is a 6 speed manual. Prices are high for everything at the moment, I paid £14K with 58K miles about 3 months ago from a dealer very clean with service history. Thrashing it around everywhere the mpg is low 40's, the only time I ever see it into the 30's is driving 2 miles to the shops when it is cold. Mine has the CUNA engine, maybe they have better fuel economy. GTD's pre mid 2015 don't have car play or android auto or keyless entry and button start.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:48:56 pm by FJB »

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 05:07:46 pm »
A work colleague had a 67 plate GTD with 7sp DSG and he found it superb on diesel, said he never saw below 40mpg over a full tank and that involved a fair bit of city driving.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 12:17:23 pm »
I don't know about the autos as mine is a 6 speed manual. Prices are high for everything at the moment, I paid £14K with 58K miles about 3 months ago from a dealer very clean with service history. Thrashing it around everywhere the mpg is low 40's, the only time I ever see it into the 30's is driving 2 miles to the shops when it is cold. Mine has the CUNA engine, maybe they have better fuel economy. GTD's pre mid 2015 don't have car play or android auto or keyless entry and button start.

£14k for a 16 plate is pretty reasonable. Maybe it's just the DSG ones that are pricey. Thanks again for the info  :happy2:  I think they map up to 220ish which might maintain my interest in it for more than a year  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 12:21:43 pm »
A work colleague had a 67 plate GTD with 7sp DSG and he found it superb on diesel, said he never saw below 40mpg over a full tank and that involved a fair bit of city driving.

Good to know also, thanks  :happy2:

My head is saying GTD, my inner hooligan is saying 335d  :grin:

I'm one of those annoying people who look at a menu for 30 minutes and always order the same thing anyway, so I can't deal with choice  :grin:

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 02:26:25 pm »
I might be shot down for suggesting this but I’ve always liked the look of the insignia VXR (particularly the touring version). Turbo V6 with 375bhp and 4wd before you’ve even started throwing the mods parts bin at it! Will likely be my next motor…
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2022, 04:00:22 pm »
I might be shot down for suggesting this but I’ve always liked the look of the insignia VXR (particularly the touring version). Turbo V6 with 375bhp and 4wd before you’ve even started throwing the mods parts bin at it! Will likely be my next motor…

I see where you're coming from.  They're 375 after mapping, according to Google, so quite thrusty!  Too thirsty as well being petrol! 

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2022, 04:04:40 pm »
125d shadow edition worth a shout? Remap ok by the looks of it.