Make a donation

Author Topic: It had to happen sooner or later  (Read 6257 times)

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: It had to happen sooner or later
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2022, 09:50:18 am »
Just spotted it, in one of my clutch change photos.

Potential upgrade coming then.

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2022, 11:43:47 am »
Can't see the pic at work but it's round the back under the ABS pump  :happy2:

I don't know how much another donut thingy is from VW, or if it's even available separately to the rigid lines, but this is what I used - https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/02m-02q-braided-clutch-line-kit.html

If the car is a keeper, it seems wise deleting as much crappy plastic as possible!

Upon further investigation, it seems the little pipe retaining clip had rusted away, causing the line to blow out! Said clips are also on the clutch bleeding block, so you might want to check all the clips while you're there  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2022, 09:56:41 pm »
Thanks. I may invest in that soon.

I assume it replaces the entire length from the master to box?
Mike

South Coast

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2022, 08:39:44 am »
Yep  :happy2:

It's worthwhile doing anyway as it makes the shifting much more consistent, especially when hot where the 14 year old rubber section of the OEM line starts expanding.

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2022, 07:55:54 pm »
Just so you know pudding, I came from an f30 330d msport to my current pirelli edition. I only owned the beemer for 6 months before doing a deal with some local guy, it was so bloody boring, even with a stage 1 map. The chassis is good but the steering is nothing short of awful. No feel what so ever.
But, it was a lovely car to look at and be in and the ZF box is superb. Just some food for thought mate.

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2022, 11:48:14 pm »
Just so you know pudding, I came from an f30 330d msport to my current pirelli edition. I only owned the beemer for 6 months before doing a deal with some local guy, it was so bloody boring, even with a stage 1 map. The chassis is good but the steering is nothing short of awful. No feel what so ever.
But, it was a lovely car to look at and be in and the ZF box is superb. Just some food for thought mate.

I was considering one of these but they are too much money right now, but definitely on the table for the economy as we drive a lot for work and city driving is pretty terrible for MPG as it suffers!!! I'm still not 100% a fan of the look of them, I normally like sleeper looking cars but it's kind of in between. I think I need a test drive!!
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2022, 10:31:05 am »
Many thanks @Freem82 for that. Real world experience is invaluable  :happy2:  Would a 335d be a bit less boring?  TBH, even my ED30 is boring on a commute because there aren't many opportunities to blast it.  If I baby it, I can get 400 miles a tank, but a couple of hard squirts of boost (not even close to the limiter!) and the range drops 30-40 miles immediately  :grin:  Yeah I have read that about the F30's steering, and presumably the F20's as well.  Every BMW I've driven has had sh1t steering, so I'm not too shocked by that  :grin: 

I don't even particularly like BMWs tbh.  IMO, they are massively over-rated and massively over-priced but unfortunately, when choosing a commuting car, it's BMW who have the best diesel engines at the moment, and that ZF8 box, which are the main drivers for choosing one.

@SANDEGTI Tell me about it. Every time I look on AutoTrader, the shortlist prices have shot up £500-£1000.  2-3 year old 7.5 GTDs are only a few K off their new price  :stupid:  Who would have thought pandemics, war and other Global weirdness would kill off car depreciation!

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2022, 01:12:12 pm »
I actually think it would be even more boring due to the fact they're all 4 wheel drive, also the 4x4 models are very temperamental if all four tyres aren't the same tread depth, it confuses the four wheel drive system apparently.
I dunno, they just aren't for me. My old e46 325i was a great car in comparison, electric steering should never have been invented.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2022, 02:02:03 pm »
It's OK when implemented properly, but the Germans just don't understand steering  :grin:  The hydraulic steering box in E34s/E39s....dear god you could drive over a bed of nails and be none the wiser.  Surely the F30 can't be worse than that?! :grin:

I reckon I'll just end up with a 7.5 GTD DSG at this rate. The safer, boring choice I guess, but actually.....stick a B12 Pro kit and a map on it, it could be quite fun.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2022, 12:55:15 pm »
400 miles done with the braided clutch line and it's one of the best mods I've done. I wish I'd done it sooner!

Offline steve4934

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2022, 02:03:42 pm »
400 miles done with the braided clutch line and it's one of the best mods I've done. I wish I'd done it sooner!

Never gone near the clutch hydraulics on a Golf, can it be bled the normal way or do you need to back bleed it from the slave?

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2022, 05:57:05 pm »
Clutch pedal dropped to the floor, so couldn't get gears.  It had to choose a very busy intersection at peak rush hour to do it didn't it  :grin:  Police had to shut the carriageway and tow me off. Ultra embarrassing  :doh:

Guessing it's the clutch master cylinder so have ordered one.

Effing thing. I'm 100% definitely done with bloody manual gearboxes after this experience  :grin:

It makes me laugh when folk choose a manual over DSG because they are afraid it will do exactly what my manual did to me  :grin:

At what mileage did this happen? were there any telltale signs before hand or did it just go all of a sudden. Would like to avoid this myself

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2022, 07:57:06 am »

Can you describe the feeling as still floating with the idea of either the full hose, or a lot of places sell the half hose (plastic snail to gearbox)

The plastic snail thing is supposed to dampen vibrations or something like that from what I have read.......curious to what your feel under foot  :smiley:

:popcornsoda:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:00:29 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2022, 07:58:50 am »
Never gone near the clutch hydraulics on a Golf, can it be bled the normal way or do you need to back bleed it from the slave?

A pressure bleeder works very well to do this for the clutch/brake system....never had an issue since investing in one
Mike

South Coast

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2022, 09:27:52 am »
Clutch pedal dropped to the floor, so couldn't get gears.  It had to choose a very busy intersection at peak rush hour to do it didn't it  :grin:  Police had to shut the carriageway and tow me off. Ultra embarrassing  :doh:

Guessing it's the clutch master cylinder so have ordered one.

Effing thing. I'm 100% definitely done with bloody manual gearboxes after this experience  :grin:

It makes me laugh when folk choose a manual over DSG because they are afraid it will do exactly what my manual did to me  :grin:

At what mileage did this happen? were there any telltale signs before hand or did it just go all of a sudden. Would like to avoid this myself

171K miles. No warning signs, just sudden failure.  A big pop followed by a thunk as the pedal smashed into the floor.