Make a donation

Author Topic: Lost power, no codes  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Lost power, no codes
« on: August 04, 2022, 10:06:28 pm »
Hi All,

The other week after a spirited drive I had the EML come on lost power - I suspected a PCV/Recirc Valve failure.

I plugged a code reader in and it couldn't read any codes on the engine despite the EML, however I reset with the code reader and the EML disappeared.
Since then the car feels a lot slower and doesn't pull as hard at all.

Checked the PCV today with the suck/blow test and also took off the N80 valve and it looks fine to me... leaving me a bit confused now with no codes to check/show to a garage and a slower car..

Images of my N80 valve attached. Does it look okay? It's a Rev C.

Aside from that.. what should I be looking at next?

Stage 1 Ed30

Online mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Lost power, no codes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 08:14:49 am »
How does it idle?

Looked for boost leaks?
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 02:49:25 pm »
How does it idle?

Looked for boost leaks?

Idle absolutely fine, not checked for boost leaks, but could be my next port of call. Worried it’s the turbo to be honest

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 11:01:18 pm »
First port of call, bin the Rev C and fit a new Rev G. Or a Rev D.  Rev A and C are useless.  You'd be better off with a slice of Edam in there.

When you say you couldn't read any fault codes.  What scan tool is it? Any errors about not being about to communicate with the ECU?

Any VAG car post 2004.....VCDS is an absolute must! I know peeps baulk at the cost, but seriously, it really is the best there is for these cars.  Get it bought already!

It won't be the turbo unless it's making loud shrieking noises or failing to meet the requested boost pressure.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:58:01 am »
First port of call, bin the Rev C and fit a new Rev G. Or a Rev D.  Rev A and C are useless.  You'd be better off with a slice of Edam in there.

When you say you couldn't read any fault codes.  What scan tool is it? Any errors about not being about to communicate with the ECU?

Any VAG car post 2004.....VCDS is an absolute must! I know peeps baulk at the cost, but seriously, it really is the best there is for these cars.  Get it bought already!

It won't be the turbo unless it's making loud shrieking noises or failing to meet the requested boost pressure.

I've got a mate with OBDeleven, is that any good?

on WOT the turbo does make a lot of noise the be fair.. and it does sound a bit shrieky.

Offline Vagsobik

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 09:48:02 pm »
Hi,since there are no errors logs are the basis. The loss of power does not have to be due to the boost pressure.

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 05:19:19 pm »
Hey all, took the car for a drive today and I don’t think there is a loss of power anymore which is weird.. but the squeal noise is there. Recorded a video.

Does this sound like a normal squeal and blow off sound? I’ve ordered a new DV as it’s doing my head in now.
eature=share
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:27:13 am by Northern_ED30 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 03:19:07 pm »
I couldn't hear a squeal over the other noise.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ed30pecen

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:39:58 am »
Hello, my ed30 developed a weird problem as I have had a walnut blast done it is throwing a P0196-004 oil level temp sensor and the adjustment timing seems a bit off as before the walnut blast the block 91 was reading 28KW requested and actual 27,5KW and now it sits at 15KW all the time.. also the block 93 the phase position was before at -1Kw and now it doesnt show any number for the phase position. TIA