Make a donation

Author Topic: Hugyourcar.com  (Read 2233 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Hugyourcar.com
« on: August 05, 2022, 11:57:09 pm »
God this forum is quiet  :grin:  Is everyone on TikTok or Facebook these days?

It's time to inject some life into this forum.  I remember from my Corrado days there were regular forum meet ups and dyno days where we'd all cry and hug each other over the sh1t horsepower figures.  There were even 20 page threads about our favourite sandwich fillings.  Tesco Finest hams and cheese were the top choices.  Can we get back to those glory days in the modern age of phones and swiping left or right?

We all spend a lot of time and money on our cars, so it's only right we show them so love occasionally  :love:

Here I am hugging my Corrado because it kept me sane during some difficult times. So who are you peeps?  What makes you tick? What tunes do you like? What do you put in your sandwiches? Ultra spicy curries or mild bland sh1t?  Yes, I am I little bit weird and bonkers  :happy2:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 12:00:03 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
Re: Hugyourcar.com
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 12:04:31 am »
Oh and these days I'm into House music and Orbital's 30 Something album. The hotter the curry that makes my ring sting, the better.

Get some pics up of you fine ladies and gentlemen hugging your GTIs. Stop stressing about popped DVs and lambda efficiency fault codes and show some love  :love:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 12:08:33 am by Pudding »

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 07:46:23 am »
I loved the Corrado days G60 VR6 VR6 Storm dont see many now

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 08:59:47 am »
Oh and these days I'm into House music and Orbital's 30 Something album. The hotter the curry that makes my ring sting, the better.

Get some pics up of you fine ladies and gentlemen hugging your GTIs. Stop stressing about popped DVs and lambda efficiency fault codes and show some love  :love:

My copy of the orbital album arrived the other day. With 2 kids + school holidays I've only managed to listen to the first 3 tracks before kids git involved and wanted to listen to 'Chicken Wing' (my god I hate that song)

Oh, and coronation chicken for me.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ua6ebvn0nsaca54eagvd6ptca&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:06:59 am »
Nice :happy2: I think a lot of the folk hover around Instagram these days instead. I'm on there as of recently as it's the only place I really see the news on stuff to do with sales on parts and updates on anything Motorsport related and you do see some good ideas on other people's builds from time to time to mimic.

While it may not be lively on here like it sounds like it was in the past I think this is probably the friendliest forum I've come across. Pistonheads is full of bitter people hating old fellas most of the time  :grin:

For me I'm attached to the golf as I bought it within a few days of getting together with my now fiance (I had a rusty old Saab at the time and needed to impress her old man who is a Scooby fanatic :grin:) so feels like its part of our relationship. Don't think il ever sell unless the chassis gets twisted to bits one day in an incident.

I like butter right especially when cooking a nice bit of meat but keep the stuff away from my sandwhiches please, nice and dry for me. Also with a burger I don't like sauce in it I like to dip it, anyone else do the same??

Finally, anyone think cars should get a bit scratched up here and there as they age? Not a fan of garage queen's that look like they don't do anything ever. Love the sight of an old Merc workhorse with a beautiful well kept interior but a scratched up body from all the journeys/adventures/work horse activities it's been on :congrats:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:06:33 pm »
I completely agree with what you say apart from sandwich filling! I gotta say there is far more life in here than the golf gti forum ....they were miserable funkers! I would happily go to a Dyno  day ( with mucho low expectations!) a track day, a members meet etc. but that’s not really how the car scene seems to be these days...my background is from fast Peugeots to MR2s then to company cars and now back to a hot hatch worth less than my bike! 43 years old, I now have more cameras shoved inside me than pointed at my face it seems...I love old school hip-hop..though I remember it just being hip-hop...anything really from 70s 80s 90s 00s...then my music interest tails off a touch...I have raced cars, as my dad did, I have done engine swaps on the drive, driven some amazing machines with my job now, but happy to admire rather than own them...I still play gran turismo of all generations when I don’t fall asleep...I am considered weird by some...I don’t care for those people much! I am not on social media, this is about as close as I get to it! And lastly, the most important detail is tuna mayo, with capers, sliced pickles on brown bread with giant flaming hot wotsits on the side please.

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Hugyourcar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 12:17:56 pm »
It is quiet, but it’s the same on other forums too, maybe we are a bit old school now

A good Q to invoke chat would be which other forums are you on? Im on FISO and the Audi TT forum (all via Tapatalk)

FISO is fantasy sports, and for me that means Fantasy Premier League, which about 8million (!) people are playing globally this year…any of you guys play this? Season kicked off last night , and have a full day of it ahead as mrs jacksosi is away …sky soccer Saturday starting now .  It’s a great forum , have been a member for 20+ years

The TT forum as have recently bought a mint 40k miles 2010 mk2 TTS Roadster, mainly for a trip to the South of France.  Very busy with threads on there , but it covers all three marks. The GTI is actually my wife’s car which I have been sharing and giving some tlc during a period of not needing two cars

Curry wise I’m up to vindaloo level , but usually pick a jalfrezi

Sandwich wise I like everything, but a tuna melt takes some beating

Music wise I’m a bit of an old raver, so have plenty of clubby music mixed in with a lot of other stuff on my Spotify account

Cheers all
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 12:56:29 pm by jacksosi »
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 01:18:06 pm »
Hurrah, some responses! I thought you would all think I was mental  :grin:

TBC, will come back to this.....gotta head out. ED30 rolling again, time for heap big beers down the pub, cheers all  :drinking:

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 01:51:42 pm »
Hurrah, some responses! I thought you would all think I was mental  :grin:

TBC, will come back to this.....gotta head out. ED30 rolling again, time for heap big beers down the pub, cheers all  :drinking:
I thought you might have been smoking something last night

Enjoy the beers, outside in the sunshine, or inside watching footy results?
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ua6ebvn0nsaca54eagvd6ptca&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 05:39:33 pm »
Hello :popcornsoda:

Actually getting to the point of not really enjoying driving my edition 30. Unless it's having its head kicked in i don't find it a particularly nice drive anymore. Getting old I guess.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 02:03:28 pm »
Actually getting to the point of not really enjoying driving my edition 30. Unless it's having its head kicked in i don't find it a particularly nice drive anymore. Getting old I guess.

Seems a shame giving up on the ED30 - you have so much time/money invested in - can you tuck it up for some day in the future? or has this got to be your deposit on the replacement?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 02:03:43 pm »
Quote from: shail
My copy of the orbital album arrived the other day. With 2 kids + school holidays I've only managed to listen to the first 3 tracks before kids git involved and wanted to listen to 'Chicken Wing' (my god I hate that song)

Oh, and coronation chicken for me.

Yeah I'm not a fan of that track either.  To be fair, 80% of their stuff is filler fluff but then they knock out some bangers from nowhere!

Good choice of filling, but less the sultanas for me. Not sure about dried fruit in curries :grin:

Quote from: Clarkj93
While it may not be lively on here like it sounds like it was in the past I think this is probably the friendliest forum I've come across. Pistonheads is full of bitter people hating old fellas most of the time  :grin:

Isn't it just! :grin: Why do they even bother going on the forum if the audience is so irritating to them? They're an odd lot on there for sure. Yeah it's way friendlier here, probably the friendliest I've experienced to date. The Corrado forum in the early 2000s before social media came along.....god that place was bonkers :grin: That is actually where hugging cars came from :grin:

For me I'm attached to the golf as I bought it within a few days of getting together with my now fiance (I had a rusty old Saab at the time and needed to impress her old man who is a Scooby fanatic :grin:) so feels like its part of our relationship. Don't think il ever sell unless the chassis gets twisted to bits one day in an incident.

I can totally understand people being sentimentally attached to cars, especially when they are present during major life changes, such as engagement :happy2:

I like butter right especially when cooking a nice bit of meat but keep the stuff away from my sandwhiches please, nice and dry for me. Also with a burger I don't like sauce in it I like to dip it, anyone else do the same??

Dry sarnies and burgers....interesting! I hate excessive amounts of butter and sauces as well, but I can't go dry though! I have seen in America some places dip the buns in dripping, which could be quite tasty!

Finally, anyone think cars should get a bit scratched up here and there as they age? Not a fan of garage queen's that look like they don't do anything ever. Love the sight of an old Merc workhorse with a beautiful well kept interior but a scratched up body from all the journeys/adventures/work horse activities it's been on :congrats:

Yeah I go more for "looks clean for it's age" over too mint to leave outside. I like a 'used' look, hence why it usually only sees a sponge twice a year :grin:  I must admit, I do hate scratches, dents and rust though....but a little shabby chic is acceptable :grin:

Quote from: Clarky
I completely agree with what you say apart from sandwich filling! I gotta say there is far more life in here than the golf gti forum ....they were miserable funkers! I would happily go to a Dyno  day ( with mucho low expectations!) a track day, a members meet etc. but that’s not really how the car scene seems to be these days...my background is from fast Peugeots to MR2s then to company cars and now back to a hot hatch worth less than my bike! 43 years old, I now have more cameras shoved inside me than pointed at my face it seems...I love old school hip-hop..though I remember it just being hip-hop...anything really from 70s 80s 90s 00s...then my music interest tails off a touch...I have raced cars, as my dad did, I have done engine swaps on the drive, driven some amazing machines with my job now, but happy to admire rather than own them...I still play gran turismo of all generations when I don’t fall asleep...I am considered weird by some...I don’t care for those people much! I am not on social media, this is about as close as I get to it! And lastly, the most important detail is tuna mayo, with capers, sliced pickles on brown bread with giant flaming hot wotsits on the side please.

Good to know! I think that forum and ClubGTI are again, full of bitter old men like Pistonheads. Still a young chap at 43 mate :happy2:  I'm 50 in March, so yeah, cameras going inside rather than outside looms ever closer! I was hoping plastic relacement body parts would be available online by now, but nope!

Car meets seem more popular than ever....AdamC on YouTube.....look no further...but that isn't a scene I'm interested. Too much noise, flexing, disrespect for the venues and yelping morons screaming with joy if someone stacks their car :stupid:

Now that is a sandwich! Thrown in some interesting curve balls there with the capers and side order of flaming hot wotsits!

Quote from: jacksosi
It is quiet, but it’s the same on other forums too, maybe we are a bit old school now

A good Q to invoke chat would be which other forums are you on? Im on FISO and the Audi TT forum (all via Tapatalk)

I prefer the term wise school over old school :happy2:

I'm on here, the Corrado forum, VR6OC, R32OC, Pistonheads and a few others I've forgotten about. I'm most active on here though!

FISO is fantasy sports, and for me that means Fantasy Premier League, which about 8million (!) people are playing globally this year…any of you guys play this? Season kicked off last night , and have a full day of it ahead as mrs jacksosi is away …sky soccer Saturday starting now .  It’s a great forum , have been a member for 20+ years

Not a fan of the footy, sorry :grin:

The TT forum as have recently bought a mint 40k miles 2010 mk2 TTS Roadster, mainly for a trip to the South of France.  Very busy with threads on there , but it covers all three marks. The GTI is actually my wife’s car which I have been sharing and giving some tlc during a period of not needing two cars

Very nice sir.  I did give thought to a TT-S coupe a while ago after the Edition 30 rot set in, as it has all the wide track goodness and other handling accoutrements the Golfs don't get, but I need a bit more interior space unfortunately.

Curry wise I’m up to vindaloo level , but usually pick a jalfrezi

Sandwich wise I like everything, but a tuna melt takes some beating

Music wise I’m a bit of an old raver, so have plenty of clubby music mixed in with a lot of other stuff on my Spotify account

Cheers all

All fine choices there. I'm an old raver as well. Annoyingly I threw out all my 90s rave tapes ages ago but really missing them now! Spotify....yeah, so all these streaming services are annoying!  I've tried Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music and Amazon music. I have to flit across all 4 to find the tunes I like, and then one day I'll go to listen to something I hadn't heard in ages.....gone! Or "This song is not available in your country". So annoying. I can totally understand the current resurgence in CDs and records! You buy it, it's yours, forever. No one is going to come to your house and say you can't listen to it in England :grin:

Quote from: rich83
Hello :popcornsoda:

Yep. Mine rattles and wobbles its way down the road like a 170 year old Model T Ford, and at about the same speed as well, so I'm not feeling it anymore either :grin: 

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ua6ebvn0nsaca54eagvd6ptca&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 12:16:20 pm »

Seems a shame giving up on the ED30 - you have so much time/money invested in - can you tuck it up for some day in the future? or has this got to be your deposit on the replacement?

I'll keep it for now but it's on borrowed time. Wife's 1 series is going at the end of the year for something completely different which will be an interesting change.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 03:19:26 pm »

What’s the reason you don’t enjoy it? When I bought my car it was on aftermarket springs. Best thing I did was swap in Sachs OEM spec shocks and springs. You might find that a more compliant ride makes a big difference to your enjoyment.

First time I have ever reverted a car to standard. Just getting older!

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 11:36:54 pm »
Favourite sandwich... hmmm... I'm really torn between a good old crisp sandwich with a good amount of butter or just a classic cheese and ham sandwich. My partners is chicken and mayo, I had to ask her!  :party:

Music, pretty much willing to try anything, whatever the mood! I do like dance and some rap, the old school stuff too.

Honestly the plan with the car is just to keep going with it, we have loved it since the beginning besides all the problems. Quite literally had thousands spent in the last year (a lot on warranty thankfully) timing chain snapped first week after driving it back which was a huge scare because a lot of the time they go bang. Looking and going back, if I bought another car I would have it checked out straight away as not worth the risk. I was also a little naive in the fact there was a chain AS WELL as a belt, until it went I had no idea which is hilarious looking back. I had checked the belt had been replaced recently which made the decision for me upon buying it. I've learnt so much about cars, I've been doing everything myself recently which is saving me a lot of money, some things are still too complicated but I'm not afraid of doing anything. I've had it mapped which was amazing at the same time I done diverter valve which was split and oh my word we were a bit shocked! I never really knew what I was missing. Next I'm doing "Stage 2" mods, once I've fixed all the little nibbles at the bank account  :thinking:

I'm only 22 but have been loving cars since the first Fast & Furious, with my dad a subaru fanatic we used to go to many scooby meets a lot of Friday's in Norwich, in which further fueled it I think!! But yes from my standpoint all my friends and family members are just stuck on a lot of these dopamine inducing social media platforms which is a shame, it's kinda driving people away from actually interacting with people properly or in real life. I try and do a bit of both, as my dad told me everything in moderation is fine! Although I undoubtedly spend too much time on Youtube watching AdamC and others  :happy2:

Anyway I've waffled way too much, maybe I'm the crazy one!!  :jumping: Just wanted to say a big thank you to you for your contribution on this forum as it's helped me fix a lot of little issues and confirmed my thoughts (even threads that are many years old!). I owe you a beer!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 11:39:52 pm by SANDEGTI »
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue