Make a donation

Author Topic: Best suspension set up.. opinions  (Read 5018 times)

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Best suspension set up.. opinions
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 09:27:42 pm »
Yes - they are tougher / less movement than standard ones - dont forget bearings too

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 09:57:29 pm »
Don't the bearings come with the mounts?  If not.... which bearings do I get and where from?

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 10:00:24 pm »
I've just checked Aks... they sell the mounts for £165 and it shows bearings included   :signLOL:

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 12:20:13 pm »
I appreciate this will not be a particularly popular route, but I have done the following:
- New Sachs shock absorbers front and rear
- New front Sachs springs and original rears (they were fine)
- New Febi top mounts front and rear
- New Powerflex ARB bushes front and rear
- Genuine Passat B6 front wishbones with new OEM Lemforder bushes front and rear
- New Lemforder front drop links
- New Febi balljoints
- Front subframe collars

I will slowly start working through the rear arms, but for now I am really happy. Of course the springs mean that it won’t give you a drop but going the OEM-ish route will tighten things up massively, simply because all of the original factory suspension and bushes will be soggy by now. I think waiting for MOT fails is too late.

If I were to do it again I would try a better quality damper, perhaps a Bilstein, but otherwise very happy with the approach I have taken.

Lots of people compare worn factory suspension to aftermarket suspension (particularly shocks and springs) but that isn’t exactly a fair comparison. I’m also not sure aftermarket (and stiffer) shocks and springs with worn original bushes makes sense but I’ve certainly done it in the past.

Just another perspective!

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 03:40:02 pm »
Thank you for the above mate   :happy2:
This has been doing my head in for the past few days Lol..   I appreciate that you get what you pay for etc ..  but I've kinda decided on the bilstein b4 shocks and eibac 20mm drop springs.  Although I'm pretty sure I have lowering springs on mime at the moment, I thought I'd renew them too.   Have read that the bilstein b4's are a little firmer than stock , but as long as the whole car doesn't crash and bang on a uneven road and the car can go over a speed hump without it scraping all the time.... then I'd be happy  :signLOL:

So can anyone vouch for the above link I posted? The b4 kit with eibach springs?

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 07:39:58 pm »
I have the B4s and Eibach as after 180k miles I figured the suspension needed a refresh. The rears are a little too low for me, there's a post in MK5 General about sorting this a bit. Overall very happy, paid £299 for the set. I also got Whiteline front and rear ARBs and adjustable drop links along with the Audi TTRS top mounts. Goes over all but the most ridiculously high speed bumps, i.e. those bricks in the road where the sides have been worn down so they're higher than they should be. Worthwhile if you're keeping the car, I'm on 200k and no intention of selling, too much fun! Just remember to get it all aligned afterwards.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 08:27:43 pm »
I should have said, my car actually came on Eibach springs. Front shocks had been replaced a few years ago but rears looked original. All shocks were Sachs. The ride was pretty crashy which I think was because all of the shocks had blown and the front top mounts were shot.

Broadly that confirmed my view that you should only use shortened shocks with shortened springs, because otherwise the shocks will be operating outside ideal range and more likely to blow.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 11:18:33 am »
Bilstein are great manufacturer, B4 are ok, reported to be slightly firmer than standard - but if your looking for a bit more control B6 are where it starts to get interesting.
Personally I have AP coil-overs I have been happy with for 2 years - or they also do matched shocks and sports springs for a bit less money, IIRC @Pudding spoke favourably about, but has returned to more standard shocks since then, suspect it was the commute he does.

That was the ST suspension kit mate.  It was actually pretty good for the money but some folk would find it a bit too rough and tumble.

I went with H&R non-GTI springs and B4s about 6 months or so ago as I wanted a bit more compliance and travel.  Seems to do the job but kind of regret not getting the B6 dampers though  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 12:33:23 pm »
Thanking you all for the replies guys  :happy2:

im still trying to find something within budget and kinda narrowed it down to these -

Euro's have got Bilstein shocks (but doesnt specify which model, so im assuming B4's) -  Front and rear shocks only = £376.96
TDC Automotive- 4x Bilstein B4's with 20mm Eibach springs = £379.95
Awesom GTI have got Raceing line suspension for about £580

Sooooooo ...    unless i can find B6 dampers for roughly £400 and i'll use my own springs -  it looks like i might just go the B4 route - its what the budget allows  - surely, it cant be any worse than my leaking shocks at the moment  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 04:01:34 pm »
B6s are pretty expensive, and then there's Rabbit hole of MK6 vs MK5 B6s to go down as well, which is why I just got MK5 GTI spec B4s for an easier life  :grin:

B4s are pretty good as an OEM like-for-like replacement, but I don't think they like stiff springs or uprated ARBs though. Bilstein say the B4 can be used with mild lowering springs, but just depends how much stiffer/lower they are compared to stock. 

B4s + Stock springs + stock ARBs = No problem. Works as expected.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + Stock ARBs = No guarantees, but a lot of folk get on with that setup.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + H&R or Eibach ARBs = Horrible.  You definitely need B6 or B8 for that combination.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2022, 04:16:31 pm »
B6s are pretty expensive, and then there's Rabbit hole of MK6 vs MK5 B6s to go down as well, which is why I just got MK5 GTI spec B4s for an easier life  :grin:

B4s are pretty good as an OEM like-for-like replacement, but I don't think they like stiff springs or uprated ARBs though. Bilstein say the B4 can be used with mild lowering springs, but just depends how much stiffer/lower they are compared to stock. 

B4s + Stock springs + stock ARBs = No problem. Works as expected.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + Stock ARBs = No guarantees, but a lot of folk get on with that setup.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + H&R or Eibach ARBs = Horrible.  You definitely need B6 or B8 for that combination.

wow..  a very good bit of info there pudding  :happy2:..
so i now need to find out if my car has got upgraded ARB's  :signLOL:   what makes it horrible?

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
Not super experienced in the combos but I can't say I've any complaints with the B4 + Eibach + whiteline ARBs. Certainly a lot better than a stock setup on 180k miles  :grin:

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »
Thanks chaps..  I will report back with my feedback once purchased and fitted  :happy2:

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 07:47:14 pm »
Bilstein are great manufacturer, B4 are ok, reported to be slightly firmer than standard - but if your looking for a bit more control B6 are where it starts to get interesting.
Personally I have AP coil-overs I have been happy with for 2 years - or they also do matched shocks and sports springs for a bit less money, IIRC @Pudding spoke favourably about, but has returned to more standard shocks since then, suspect it was the commute he does.

That was the ST suspension kit mate.  It was actually pretty good for the money but some folk would find it a bit too rough and tumble.

I went with H&R non-GTI springs and B4s about 6 months or so ago as I wanted a bit more compliance and travel.  Seems to do the job but kind of regret not getting the B6 dampers though  :grin:

I thought you had Ohlins. Too stiff for road use?

I really liked the idea of their Road and Track kit when it was released. Top end damping for a road car but I can imagine them being stiff.

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 09:49:41 pm »
Guys... would it even be worth considering a 2yr old 2nd hand B12 kit for £300?