Make a donation

Author Topic: Best suspension set up.. opinions  (Read 4999 times)

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Best suspension set up.. opinions
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 06:32:41 am »
I would not buy used shocks. Not unless it was part of a trick coilover setup that I knew I was going to get rebuilt by the manufacturer. Even springs fatigue and crack.

Remember that shocks fail over time. Not suddenly they just lose their ability to dampen. There is also a chance that they are totally dead. My front Sachs shocks weren’t that old and were in good visual condition but a few years of Eibach springs killed them.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 04:01:16 pm »
B6s are pretty expensive, and then there's Rabbit hole of MK6 vs MK5 B6s to go down as well, which is why I just got MK5 GTI spec B4s for an easier life  :grin:

B4s are pretty good as an OEM like-for-like replacement, but I don't think they like stiff springs or uprated ARBs though. Bilstein say the B4 can be used with mild lowering springs, but just depends how much stiffer/lower they are compared to stock. 

B4s + Stock springs + stock ARBs = No problem. Works as expected.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + Stock ARBs = No guarantees, but a lot of folk get on with that setup.
B4s + H&R or Eibach springs + H&R or Eibach ARBs = Horrible.  You definitely need B6 or B8 for that combination.

wow..  a very good bit of info there pudding  :happy2:..
so i now need to find out if my car has got upgraded ARB's  :signLOL:   what makes it horrible?

It might just be my abysmal local roads, or the fact my car has 15 year old bushes on it (at the rear), but it just feels like the B4s can't cope with the extra spring rate of the Eibach ARBs over bumps.  It translates into a very jiggly and unsettled ride.  I can't find any stock ARBs to test my theory, but in any case, suspension is way too subjective to pin down any firm recommendations.  One person's smooth roads is another's crater infested nightmare!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 04:02:22 pm »
Not super experienced in the combos but I can't say I've any complaints with the B4 + Eibach + whiteline ARBs. Certainly a lot better than a stock setup on 180k miles  :grin:

Interesting!  It could be some differences between H&R and Whiteline then as we are otherwise the same  :smiley:   Your roads are probably better too!

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 04:05:42 pm »
Bilstein are great manufacturer, B4 are ok, reported to be slightly firmer than standard - but if your looking for a bit more control B6 are where it starts to get interesting.
Personally I have AP coil-overs I have been happy with for 2 years - or they also do matched shocks and sports springs for a bit less money, IIRC @Pudding spoke favourably about, but has returned to more standard shocks since then, suspect it was the commute he does.

That was the ST suspension kit mate.  It was actually pretty good for the money but some folk would find it a bit too rough and tumble.

I went with H&R non-GTI springs and B4s about 6 months or so ago as I wanted a bit more compliance and travel.  Seems to do the job but kind of regret not getting the B6 dampers though  :grin:

I thought you had Ohlins. Too stiff for road use?

I really liked the idea of their Road and Track kit when it was released. Top end damping for a road car but I can imagine them being stiff.

They're in the parts cupboard awaiting rebuild / trip to the metal skip / sell on..... haven't decided yet.  They basically lasted 30,000 miles before they started knocking.  Something to do with a nylon piston sleeve wearing out and allowing the piston rod to contact metal, which has also kindly chipped off chunks of chrome plate.

Absolutely appalling longevity, but absolutely sublime damping.  I really liked them but they're of no use for cars that do 20K miles a year  :grin:

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2022, 05:39:03 pm »
Bilstein are great manufacturer, B4 are ok, reported to be slightly firmer than standard - but if your looking for a bit more control B6 are where it starts to get interesting.
Personally I have AP coil-overs I have been happy with for 2 years - or they also do matched shocks and sports springs for a bit less money, IIRC @Pudding spoke favourably about, but has returned to more standard shocks since then, suspect it was the commute he does.

That was the ST suspension kit mate.  It was actually pretty good for the money but some folk would find it a bit too rough and tumble.

I went with H&R non-GTI springs and B4s about 6 months or so ago as I wanted a bit more compliance and travel.  Seems to do the job but kind of regret not getting the B6 dampers though  :grin:

I really liked the idea of their Road and Track kit when it was released. Top end damping for a road car but I can imagine them being stiff.

They're in the parts cupboard awaiting rebuild / trip to the metal skip / sell on..... haven't decided yet.  They basically lasted 30,000 miles before they started knocking.  Something to do with a nylon piston sleeve wearing out and allowing the piston rod to contact metal, which has also kindly chipped off chunks of chrome plate.

Absolutely appalling longevity, but absolutely sublime damping.  I really liked them but they're of no use for cars that do 20K miles a year  :grin:

That’s a shame. I’d say Ohlins would definitely be worth rebuilding, either by you or the next owner.

When I first got my MK5 I actually did contemplate fitting the R&T kit to an otherwise standard (but very well maintained) car. Then realised I am old and grey and fitted factory stuff.

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2022, 03:38:21 pm »

That’s a shame. I’d say Ohlins would definitely be worth rebuilding, either by you or the next owner.

When I first got my MK5 I actually did contemplate fitting the R&T kit to an otherwise standard (but very well maintained) car. Then realised I am old and grey and fitted factory stuff.

I'm old and grey-ish and still fitted them  :grin:   Honestly, just those and everything else standard.....amazing.

I've heard there is a better, longer lasting bush now which should make them live longer.  Trouble is, you're looking at about £250 per shock for a professional rebuild.  That's Bilstein B12 Pro money, with some change!  The rears are actually fine though and don't need doing, but me being me, I'd want all 4 doing at once.  Anyhoo.....as Edd China says on his YouTube channel...."that's a job for another day."