Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 rust removal, new sills and subframe rebuild  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Mk5 rust removal, new sills and subframe rebuild
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 10:24:00 am »
Great write up. I'm planning on doing something similar with the rear subframe on my car, In the picture it looks like you have used alloy hubs on the rear ?

Yeah I’ve put on Alloy hubs all round.. not had the tracking set up yet.. but it all seems to fit!  I believe they are from a Passat.. the alloy wishbones on the front are from an s3.. but i understand you can also get these from a Passat

Thanks. I have the front S3 hubs and control arms already fitted.  I'll have to look into the rears as well if I decide to renew the back end.

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 02:27:28 pm »
Great work  - I rebuilt the rear axle & subframe on mine - terrifying how rusted mine was, also finding out the majority of the bushes were seized was a shock too - I went for PSB poly bushes, and they seem to be holding up.

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 08:35:35 pm »
Did you upgrade the power steering control unit or whole steering rack to Gen3 as I've just recently had a problem with mine ? :)

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2023, 06:24:01 pm »
Did you upgrade the power steering control unit or whole steering rack to Gen3 as I've just recently had a problem with mine ? :)
Not yet? I’ve had the subframes on and off that many times, it wouldn’t phase me taking the steering rack off again if I end up with a problem. 

Car is almost finished now  :driver:  Just waiting for slightly warmer weather to get the body work finished, then to need to decide what colour to paint it.. then paint it and put the wings and bumpers back on.

Offline MrFernze

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 11:35:34 pm »
Not yet? I’ve had the subframes on and off that many times, it wouldn’t phase me taking the steering rack off again if I end up with a problem. 

Car is almost finished now  :driver:  Just waiting for slightly warmer weather to get the body work finished, then to need to decide what colour to paint it.. then paint it and put the wings and bumpers back on.

I installed the whole Gen3 steering rack as the Gen1&2 is a common issue later on. Just remove subframe, uninstall steering control unit and then install the Gen3 version. I got mine from Wigan VAG (Danny) for pretty cheap.

Offline BillyTahir

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • ED30 #1011
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2023, 12:38:09 am »
How much where the new bolts and nuts from tps for subframe and control arms etc?

Good progress so far, im starting mine next week

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8hcgr2vp45eidnmcmncet7d7v0&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2023, 12:44:12 am »
Just for info... I had my subframe and control arms professionally Removed, sent off for sand blasting, powder coated and fitted with new super pro bushes provided by me for about £1300, that does include 1 new control arm as one was unrepairable. Worth doing yourself it you have the resources but otherwise expect that kind of pride.

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2023, 02:53:06 pm »
How much where the new bolts and nuts from tps for subframe and control arms etc?

Good progress so far, im starting mine next week

From memory I didn’t have much change from £200 might have ended up a bit more as I forgot a few of the main ones!

Good luck! It wasn’t that bad a job.

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2023, 02:56:29 pm »

I Haven’t managed to do much the last wee while, but I’m determined to get it on the road by the end of Summer.. just stripped the door skins and everything else I could for painting.  About 1/10 of the way through sanding and preping the panels for paint.

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2023, 12:11:32 am »
After a lot of sanding, filling, sanding, cleaning, cleaning and cleaning.. I finally got some paint on the car!  It was my first time painting a car, but I’m over the moon at how well it’s turned out.  I’m looking forward to painting my next couple of projects now!

I need to finish cleaning all the plastic and restoring the headlights before putting it all back together, but won’t be long until I get the car back on the road  :driver:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2023, 11:39:37 am »
Looks incredible ! Great set up you seem to have with a pit and a spray booth too....very jealous indeed...

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2023, 08:09:09 pm »

Inching closer to getting it on the road  :driver:  Still need to clean up and fit the side trims and get back under the car to finish connecting up the fog lights etc.  and try and remember how the hell all the wiring on the boot lid goes back?!  I am really liking the colour though, pretty chuffed with it.

Offline mk1_dave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2023, 10:49:19 pm »
Looking good :smiley:

I have plans to do the same with the underside over winter, how did you mount the hard line for the rear brakes that runs along the top of the subframe? also do you have a part number for the alloy rear hubs you bought or know what car they came off?

Thanks

Offline D2TPP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2023, 09:39:20 pm »
Thanks Dave,

The hubs were off a b6/b7 Passat, I had to buy some longer bolts for a few of the components due to the alloy being thicker than the steel, but they were a straight fit.  For the bolts I took the original ones to TPS and said ‘you got one 20mm longer than this’ etc, but also had a look at their diagram for the b6.

For the brake lines I used the original clips that attach to the rear subframe, which wasn’t too bad.  My daily driver at the moment is a mk1 TT and the rear lines for that were a pain in the arse! 

I’ve added a screenshot below from eBay for the 4 hubs I bought.