Make a donation

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 622 times)

Offline goodo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:08:09 pm »
There's not enough info in the ad to say. You'll need the details of that history and the paperwork to confirm that.

Offline goodo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 02:09:16 pm »
There's not enough info in the ad to say. You'll need the details of that history and the paperwork to confirm that.

So 200k might be alright on the original engine? Or are you thinking it might have been overhauled?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 02:20:36 pm »
It's going to depends on how the engine has been looked after. What type of oil used at what intervals, etc. If I went and looked at that car I'm take my compression tester kit and check the cylinders for compression.

For that many miles i'd expect the car to have a huge file of service stuff, even if some of it is just receipts for oil and filters if any oil changes were done by one of the four owners.

If there isn't a continous record of paperwork I wouldn't bother with the car, there are loads of MK5 GTIs out there, most are getting on now though so I'd spend the time trying to find as good an example as you budget will allow. If you can't find a decent one for your budget, I'd look for other models.

Offline goodo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 05:10:26 pm »
It's going to depends on how the engine has been looked after. What type of oil used at what intervals, etc. If I went and looked at that car I'm take my compression tester kit and check the cylinders for compression.

Great idea about the compression tester. Ive got one of those!

I take your point about budget. If you can't afford a good one, try and buy something else. i.e. just make sure you buy a good car. Wise words indeed!