Make a donation

Author Topic: EBC BRAKE PAD ADVICE  (Read 912 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
EBC BRAKE PAD ADVICE
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:45:13 pm »
Hey guys, hope you're all safe and well.

When I purchased my Eddy 2 years ago it came with Tarox 6 pot calipers. Had nothing but issues with these for many reasons, hence have now decided to go with what I had n my K04 GTi, that being S3 8P calipers and 345mm discs. I'm angling on EBC pads, but not sure if i got with Red Stuff or Yellow Stuff. I dont track the car, its used daily and i lik ethe odd fast road drive (In Mexico) of course.  As I am runnig STG3 433hp 440tq I do need better stopping power wiithout going crasy!!!

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Cheers
Louie

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Re: EBC BRAKE PAD ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 02:24:40 pm »
What is wrong with the Tarox and have you spoken to them? May be worth a rebuild?

The old Yellowstuff and Redstuff were terrible but I get the impression EBC has really moved the game on, so worth getting advice from others. DS2500 is a good road pad all things considered. Not for track (which I can see you don't do).

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 03:13:28 pm »
I'll be honest they never felt right from the start, and can'r be arsed as tried DS2500 pads in these, new 312 discs and also dedicated Tarox pads + brake fluid change. Still shyte, so going with what I know works well as the set up i had on my K04 GTi was awesome. DS2500 pads are an option but the re furbed calipers I have got to find out if the calipers are TWR or ATE as two different pad options :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 05:19:52 pm »
I don't know many people who've had a good experience with Tar-Ox stuff  :grin:  Obviously Brembo, AP Racing and Alcon are the top dogs in that sector, but costly.

Yellow = A big fat hell no for a road car.
Red = Worth a punt if EBC have improved the compound in recent years as Breeze said, because otherwise, EBC are the worst pads I've ever experienced, ever ever ever!!!
DS2500 = Over rated meh.  Good on paper but in practice, very underwhelming for the money.  Very dusty as well, and not the 'nice' dust that wipes off easily, but the kind that burrows into wheel lacquer.

The MK7 R or S3 brakes are plenty good enough to be fair  :happy2:  I've used 4 pot kits in the past and the improvement never blew my skirt up to be honest, except when really standing on them from high speed with seriously sticky track pads.....but how often does that happen on the road?  :grin:

I just couldn't live with the squealing, sqauwking, clicking, clacking, knocking and clunking...... and all the dust .....and the massive cost of replacement rotors (Yes you, AP Racing) blah blah.  Stick to OEM brakes  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 07:16:22 pm »
Oh wow this is a timely thread as I've just bought a set of refurbed 345mm front calipers and am now wondering what to do about pads and disks.

I was hoping to find something that's not going to leave my wallet gaping, but will live through a track day or two.

Are 'standard' (ate, twr) going do work out? Anyone have experience with that?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:03:38 am »
I don't know many people who've had a good experience with Tar-Ox stuff  :grin:  Obviously Brembo, AP Racing and Alcon are the top dogs in that sector, but costly.

Red = Worth a punt if EBC have improved the compound in recent years as Breeze said, because otherwise, EBC are the worst pads I've ever experienced, ever ever ever!!!
DS2500 = Over rated meh.  Good on paper but in practice, very underwhelming for the money.  Very dusty as well, and not the 'nice' dust that wipes off easily, but the kind that burrows into wheel lacquer.

The MK7 R or S3 brakes are plenty good enough to be fair  :happy2:  I've used 4 pot kits in the past and the improvement never blew my skirt up to be honest, except when really standing on them from high speed with seriously sticky track pads.....but how often does that happen on the road?  :grin:

I just couldn't live with the squealing, sqauwking, clicking, clacking, knocking and clunking...... and all the dust .....and the massive cost of replacement rotors (Yes you, AP Racing) blah blah.  Stick to OEM brakes  :grin:

Hey Kev, thanks as ever for the consice reply.

I think i'm gonna just go with standard pads, as thats the set up i had on my KO4 GTi - S3/GolfR Calipers - 345mm discs and OEM pads. That worked perfectly and not a 2nd mortgage to achive either :congrats:

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:31:42 am »
I’ve used yellow stuff pads for a while now and have been impressed by the performance and feel. Interested to know why people are so against them?
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 09:44:34 am »
I’ve used yellow stuff pads for a while now and have been impressed by the performance and feel. Interested to know why people are so against them?

What set up you running Giles?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 01:00:07 pm »

I used them in AP Racing 4 pot calipers on a previous car and they needed far too much heat to actually bite. Pretty much everything else on the market was night/day better at the time.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 01:08:04 pm »
Oh wow this is a timely thread as I've just bought a set of refurbed 345mm front calipers and am now wondering what to do about pads and disks.

I was hoping to find something that's not going to leave my wallet gaping, but will live through a track day or two.

Road pads won't hold up to track work unfortunately. They would either wear down super quick, fade to death, or catch fire, or all 3  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 01:09:40 pm »

I think i'm gonna just go with standard pads, as thats the set up i had on my KO4 GTi - S3/GolfR Calipers - 345mm discs and OEM pads. That worked perfectly and not a 2nd mortgage to achive either :congrats:

The connoisseur's choice  :happy2:

Offline Marticus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 01:24:56 pm »

Road pads won't hold up to track work unfortunately. They would either wear down super quick, fade to death, or catch fire, or all 3  :grin:

Yeah this was my concern, I'm also assuming that disks can warp from excessive heat. But as we can see from this thread most of the 'performace' solutions seem to have a lot of mixed opinions, add to that I lot if Internet wisdom and heresay, and it almost impossible to know what to go for.

Maybe I should check on some motorsports / track day focused forums.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 01:36:36 pm »

The connoisseur's choice  :happy2:

Thinking this set?? - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402822028388?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D247414%26meid%3D83abe87ca5014ea284557a117564c306%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D274813758088%26itm%3D402822028388%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V4V6ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecall&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A40282202838883abe87ca5014ea284557a117564c306%7Cenc%3AAQAHAAABUBEC%252B8HimpTF6XPanG8lCeF3G6jifrewDlLoKJMPz0RnJH8s%252BUBlIo2cSQSdgSGvSVvCKC6zF4X6tOnQIr392G0gldH8QjhGQ2fmdEokLVFt29UKj%252FEph29NUO0KxqhEb84gZhbKWlWfbravBJF8o5IRtXvfj2vCbzFWLfYGWKm833atPvQNNX6PCILYzrfLQsF0eokW%252BtuZ1FkFUE65hbvBl4IhHY5zgMr%252Fzz7aUvwEb1YIvuli6Q6gjDKrRKEGgc9hH1tKBOrWEDECYl9F2O50O0CncA9tvB2YBYqPzmVTSSrhIRDIZpOM56ciTLRzOHOdr5EbZ2QNGvvTFluiNqzq5kzviwXQmtxKhRqSIr78dchj5V1grvjkP2qLYHitQ6E7Ry7eOivq9gYZKqTirp1S7lAp2hlDbqLNkijxDnkqoiGwSV%252FQZDxGxCU88fJzSA%253D%253D%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675#vi-desc-maincntr

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 01:56:06 pm by ljc19630 »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 02:06:58 pm »
ive have experience of 2 setups all using the S3 calipers.
first off get 340mm discs to remove the small unswept area if you use 345mm
clubsport ones are ideal (with split bells) but way too much ££££ imo

i ran ds2500 on both cross drilled and jhook discs on my Ed30.  did several track days. i found them superb. only downside a little squeal and more than usual brake dust. 

on my ed35 i got a set on 2nd hand PP GTI brakes from ebay which came with std discs and EBC Red pads, which Ive just cleaned up and fitted.
I wouldnt normally touch EBC with a barge pole but in this case Ive tried them and they arent half bad!.
under spirited driving just fine. brake dust is indeed minimal.   I havent tracked them to be honest so cant report on that.  I also have no idea how much abuse theyve been through prior to me fitting them!
as long as you compromise and only drive a bit hard youll be fine, but at that power level on a track dont expect much before they fade.
I always have a chat with the https://www.vagbremtechnic.com/ giving your requirements and they can help
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 08:18:27 pm »

What set up you running Giles?

Braided hoses, decent fluid, grooved discs. Standard calipers. Haven’t got trackday experience in the car but for a Hillclimb set up it works fine.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:31:04 pm by GilesWoodward59 »
Edition 30 - No. 1233