Make a donation

Author Topic: Electric Diagnosis - Error Codes  (Read 312 times)

Offline GrizzlyUK

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Electric Diagnosis - Error Codes
« on: May 17, 2023, 10:56:41 am »
Hi guys,

I've just had my car in the garage to figure out an ongoing battery drain issue.
If I leave the car for more than a couple of days, it'll be completely dead.

My mechanic let me take note of the error codes that came up, I was hoping that someone here may have come across some of them before.

From the looks of it, it's sounding like it going to get expensive - here are the codes:

- 17 Instrument Cluster
- 42 Driver's Door Electronics
- 46 Comfort System Central Control Module
- 52 Passenger Door Electronics

The car has recently been in to have some minor body work done, where the doors needed to come off, so those code 42 & 52 maybe relating to that.
17 & 46 seem to be the most concerning.

Am desperate to keep my golf on the road, so any ideas that I can suggest looking at would be really helpful.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vhstq0oe5pjqftp0ouo9598n93&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Electric Diagnosis - Error Codes
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 11:06:24 am »
Those are not codes. That's just the control units that have a fault. Each control unit will have 1 or more codes and description of the fualt associated with it which you can use to check for a fix online so what they've given you is pretty useless.

If the doors came off with the battery connected it would fire up a code and it would just have to be cleared after. Also just to note most people have a few codes here and there constantly I think mine always has like 5 at least, but if they're not serious they don't necessarily need attention.

Offline GrizzlyUK

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 11:20:15 am »
Thank you, I did think they were pretty vague.

I think I may have to go down the route of disconnecting the battery if I have to leave it for a long period.
Mechanically the car is sound, but its a nuisance having to jump start the motor every other week.

Hopefully the garage will narrow down this problem to something as trivial as a fuse and not need to take the entire instrument cluster out.
I can see that costing a fortune in labour.

Offline GrizzlyUK

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 03:45:04 pm »
Got the car back from the garage. They recorded a very high drain of 0.6.
Fixed the driver door wiring loom and the drain is now about 0.09, so significantly better anyway.