Make a donation

Author Topic: Connecting Backup Camera Low to RNS510 using a cable costing less than £15  (Read 14526 times)

Offline cveya

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
HI all,
OK a bit of an update with the promised pictures....

1. This is the camera as you would get it from VW (Picture borrowed from my-gti.com, i was a bit too trigger happy with my scalpel to take any 'before' pictures!)

2. The camera with the 'sheath' cut off from the back.

In order to get to this stage, i would recommend doing the following:

a) Holding the camera with the cable away from you, firmly 'snap' the sheath off the back of the camera, DO NOT cleanly snap it off, just a sharp push in order to break the seal between the sheath and the camera itself.
   b) once you've got the sheath off, pull the cable away from the camera
   c) CAREFULLY cut away the sheath, it can ONLY be cut away, it can't be 'slid' off the cable.
   d) and then you should end up with something like this....

3. when the cable is removed from the camera itself, you should be presented with the following:

Now, this is where it starts to get a little bit interesting....

Effectively what VW or whoever made the camera for them has gone and done is made something terribly simple into something hideously complex to make things fit in with VW wiring....

now, those 8 little pins you see on the back of the camera correspond to 8 connections which are split between the blue coaxial video cable and the 3pin power connector...

with a multimeter and some ingenuity with a needle i managed to work out the following pinouts...

Now, that probably doesnt mean much...

however, I have taken the liberty of simplifying things.........

and here is the pinout....

The connector required to plug into the camera is a 2.0mm pitch DIL 8 way header, the connector which goes into the RNS is a 2.54mm/0.1" pitch DIL 26 way header.

RS part numbers:
8 way header: 670-3594
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6703594

That requires terminals with part number: 670-3679

26 way header: 670-4840
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6704840

That requires terminals '90119 series'

the CABLE that I used was Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) ETHERNET cable! bog standard LAN wire, you can use UTP (unshielded twisted pair) cabling too if you want,  that makes it really really neat to get 8 wires going from the front of your car to the back and the wire itself is in a nice rubbery casing which is pretty resistant to abuse!

I hope someone can just figure out how to mount this damn thing now!

Ali.

Hello, i know this is quite old thread, but i am interested..where to connect + and - from reversing camera on  26 pin connector?