Make a donation

Author Topic: Front Caliper Seizing - Worth upgrading brakes?  (Read 383 times)

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
Front Caliper Seizing - Worth upgrading brakes?
« on: September 25, 2023, 11:15:36 am »
Hi all,

I'm getting a ee ee ee ee ee sound from my front right wheel when driving at low speeds, the pads are lower than on the opposite wheel and the brake disc is hotter than the opposite after a drive. That pulsing squeal goes away while braking, so it looks like the caliper is on its way out.

I'm running 262ps (Irish stage 2), which is barely more horsepower than a UK stage 1 on 99 octane. The OEM brakes seem to be just enough for the current power level but could be better.

Do you guys think it's a good opportunity to upgrade the front to bigger brakes? What upgrade options would I have? Which one is most cost effective? Or should I stick with OEM and lose the lovely green vRS caliper colour?

Cheers  :happy2:
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Front Caliper Seizing - Worth upgrading brakes?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 04:58:23 pm »
I installed the mk7 gti perf brake calipers on mine (340mm, bigger caliper with one bigger piston) with DBA T2 rotors and DS2500 pads. They feel way better. It was all plug and play. Wanted to get the 4 piston brembos from the Q5/Macan but wheels wouldn't fit unless I added some 12-20mm spacers (with the ED30 ET51 18s), which I was unwilling to do. Cost would've been higher also.
2007 ED30

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Front Caliper Seizing - Worth upgrading brakes?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 12:09:37 pm »
I found it worthwhile, as above installed GTI PP brakes on my Stage 1 GTi. It was something I had wanted to do for a long time (albeit pre-Mk7 so was considering R32/ S3 8P 345mm), take this as an opportunity.