Make a donation

Author Topic: New member with ed30!  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: New member with ed30!
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 06:24:06 pm »
Wow bet that's an absolute beast to drive. My mk5 is about 270 bhp and that's plenty fast enough for me!

It's absolutely a joy to feel the rev free engine, it had a shaft delete done as well, with everything coupled up its a different experience... The torque is absolutely insane...  :laugh:

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 06:27:47 pm »
What a build, envy on your Wavetrack LSD I need it... And also a lot of other stuff

Any track plans for it?

Ah thanks mate, yes it's one of the mods that makes the car handle amazingly well and I wouldn't run 300 plus bhp with an open diff... Yes the plan is to get some better coilovers and verkline LCA and hardrace camber arms... Get area motorsport to set it up... Also some staggered lighter wheels... Then Snetterton which is my home track 😬

Offline SANDEGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 10:00:03 pm »
Snetterton is my home track too! Although never tracked her because it would show all of the imperfections. :ashamed:

Super awesome build and wow what a result from R-Tech! Intrigued about the differences between what you were running before and after, I plan to CDL swap with a Stage 2+ setup. Already have everything I need. Especially with an LSD, does it get the power down well? Is there a big difference?

Good luck and have fun at Snetterton! :happy2:
Stage 2+ 2005 Laser Blue

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 06:43:57 am »
Snetterton is my home track too! Although never tracked her because it would show all of the imperfections. :ashamed:

Super awesome build and wow what a result from R-Tech! Intrigued about the differences between what you were running before and after, I plan to CDL swap with a Stage 2+ setup. Already have everything I need. Especially with an LSD, does it get the power down well? Is there a big difference?

Good luck and have fun at Snetterton! :happy2:
The power and torque difference is astronomical, you wouldn't say its the same engine... It had a really bad map before, very linear almost like a supercharged car, now it so smooth and very powerful with loads of torque but still pulling close to redline which is what I love and wanted. Don't like a big boost spike and then dies off...
As to traction, I'm currently on Michelin ps4 225 width and 2nd gear need modulation a lot due to traction issues but 3rd gear hooks nicely. It's very good with the lsd as you can exit roundabouts in 2nd with half throttle and it will rocket out of them... With 255 fronts I suppose it will be better but time will tell.
Is yours going to be k04 powered as well? What suspension mods you thinking?

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2023, 05:30:09 pm »

Not a pleasant job, I'm half way into the job. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish and get a test drive 🤩

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 06:45:57 pm »
Ordered the Area motorsport package with nitron and hardrace handling bits, including the verkline front arms 🤩... Excited to say the least. The Coolerworx is in and works a charm, would recommend highly. Watch this space for an installation date from Area Motorsport  :jumping:

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2023, 05:00:09 pm »

Fitted new powerflex inserts for the upper engine mount and transmission mount... The dog bone has been done before... It now feels connected and very responsive, a must if you are running more torque or power... I've probably covered 600 Miles since the remap and the shifter have been fitted and I'm amazed how much power and torque the car has and how it puts it down with the LSD... Can't wait for the new suspension setup and then tyres and wheels 🤩

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2023, 08:08:32 am »
That looks like a quality build…

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2023, 10:53:59 am »
That looks like a quality build…

Thank you... Can't wait for the suspension to be sorted out. Booked a track day beginning of February.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2023, 03:09:48 pm »

Been out today on a closed runway with the draggy 😬🎉🏎💨... Absolutely impressed by the numbers... Had one run only so there might be more to be had.. Very fast to 100mph and a respectable 9.77 60mph to 120mph.. Happy with the results 🤩

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2023, 02:30:40 pm »
Very nice  :happy2:  Some very nice parts on that car and the Nitrons and Verkline stuff will take it to the next level  :happy2:

Makes me feel nostalgic as mine was that clean when I bought it in 2014, but 100,000 daily miles quickly turned it into a stone chipped beater  :grin:

Wavetrac is very sensible. Even at Stage 1, traction off roundabouts is non existent, but bigger ARBs can also cause that as they try to lift the inside wheel, so I wouldn't go too big on those personally.

Very good dyno numbers  :laugh:  What does 'Valid' in Draggy mean? I guess it uses GPS and the phone's motion sensor?  Been meaning to get Draggy to see if I'm getting the claimed numbers from my Bimmer, but never got around to it.  My ED30 made 440lbft when messing around on the dyno with my tuner, but we dialled it back as it was just unusable on the road  :grin:

Looking forward to your Nitron feedback as they are something I've been tempted with over Ohlins on the BM.

P.S. I recommend the Vibratechnics fast road mounts. I used those Powerflex inserts on mine and they kept falling out, even with brand new OEM mounts. They're not a particularly good long term solution imo, especially with all that torque jerking on them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 02:39:58 pm by pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2023, 02:50:25 pm »
Very nice  :happy2:  Some very nice parts on that car and the Nitrons and Verkline stuff will take it to the next level  :happy2:

Makes me feel nostalgic as mine was that clean when I bought it in 2014, but 100,000 daily miles quickly turned it into a stone chipped beater  :grin:

Wavetrac is very sensible. Even at Stage 1, traction off roundabouts is non existent, but bigger ARBs can also cause that as they try to lift the inside wheel, so I wouldn't go too big on those personally.

Very good dyno numbers  :laugh:  What does 'Valid' in Draggy mean? I guess it uses GPS and the phone's motion sensor?  Been meaning to get Draggy to see if I'm getting the claimed numbers from my Bimmer, but never got around to it.  My ED30 made 440lbft when messing around on the dyno with my tuner, but we dialled it back as it was just unusable on the road  :grin:

Looking forward to your Nitron feedback as they are something I've been tempted with over Ohlins on the BM.

P.S. I recommend the Vibratechnics fast road mounts. I used those Powerflex inserts on mine and they kept falling out, even with brand new OEM mounts. They're not a particularly good long term solution imo, especially with all that torque jerking on them.

I have quickly learned half throttle exits from 2nd in roundabouts and it does make a huge difference for traction... Arb on the ar are from superpro which have been since I bought it and currently setup is very safe witb no lift of oversteer but also neutral... I want a more aggressive setup from Area Motorsport with a bit of lift of oversteer... To be fair I hope the nitron are a good choice especially as they are made to their spec and the guys are using them in racing series against btcc cars and they work great... Hope they will be better on the road then the b14... I'm sure on track they will be amazing..
Draggy is small gps unit that measures 30 times in a second and has been used for years in drag racing etc... They have now developed lap timer which I was interested in for track days... The validity of the run is dictated by slope... So if it exceeds 2 % it's invalid due to the car benefiting from downward movement.

I'll keep an eye on the mounts but mine have locking pins in place and they have been good this far... Need to start looking at new wheels and tyres.. I want to run 245 front and 225 rear or 255 and 235 rear with semislick tyres...😁

Do you do track days in your?

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2024, 11:29:36 am »
I used to get inside wheel lift due to the Eibach ARBs being a bit too big for the road really, but as you say you can drive around it.

Yeah the B14 aren't the most comfortable on the road. The Nitrons should be a lot better.

Cheers for the draggy explanation, makes sense  :happy2:

It was the locking bits that kept falling out on mine. In the end I made some steel plates bolted into the mounts to stop them from wriggling out under acceleration, but overall the Vibratechnics mounts were better, but slightly more NVH.

Wider tyres will help  :happy2:

No I never got around to track days in mine.  It was my daily so didn't want to blow it up  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2024, 07:54:15 pm »
Driving up to Area Motorsport on Monday for the suspension upgrade...I'm excited and got Snetterton booked for the 4th with these tyres.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2024, 07:38:22 pm »
Trip to area was long but definitely worth it... Chaps there are amazing and very knowledgeable regarding the black art of suspension... Arrived there and the table was full of goodies. The suspension got fitted and camber and toe adjusted to a safe setup for me to take on track and report back... Nitron have been setup to 16 out of 32 clicks which is their suggestion for track use... I've left it as is for now and it is definitely on the harsh side when doing less than 30 mph... Once you pass that the suspension starts to shine and the handling is sublime... Downsides for me so far is cabin noise when hitting bumps due to mounts transmitting the noise on to the chassis... The handling so far is night and day... Sharper turn in, more stable, better traction... Here comes the bad bit... The Verkline arms didn't fit due to the caliper and disc offset from the 18oz brembos... So I will have to get ap racing ones and sell these together with the suspension.

I'll be fitting these at the end of February, undecided on 330mm vs 362mm kit.. Anyone any thoughts? Guys at area are running the 362mm brakes on the race cars with great success but I'm not going to do racing so I'm thinking the 330mm will be lighter and offer good braking power?

Aleka