Make a donation

Author Topic: What to do with Edition 30  (Read 5551 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
Re: What to do with Edition 30
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2023, 09:25:22 pm »
Wimmin!! Indeed.
The JLR stuff is lovely looking but you just wouldn't with their reliability.

As you can tell, we tend to keep our cars for quite some time so reliability is key and no one does reliability better than the Japanese. Lexus offer a 1 year warranty each time you service your car with them for up to 10 years.

I've got my Subaru Legacy 3.0r which is interesting enough, I may one day even get my corrado back on the road but I've saying that for many years!

And parts pricing! As one example, JLR want £800 for 1 x Range Rover O2 sensor, so I'm sure Jag would want the same!  It's the same standard issue Bosch part most cars use, which I thought was steep at £250 from VW, but 3 x that is insanity.  It's partly why JLR cars get nicked so often.

Yeah they do say that about Japanese cars. Shame my Mum's Corolla bucked that trend. Engine blew at 54K miles  :grin:  She didn't exactly look after it to be fair  :grin:

Yeah Legacies are interesting, as are Corrados  :happy2:  I'm missing my VR6 in this weather. Best car I've ever owned for driving in snow. So much weight over the driven wheels  :grin: 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2023, 09:28:31 pm »
I'm in same boat!  134k on the clock. Had mine for 8 years now.  I kind of feel like sticking it in a garage and leaving it there for a decade or so.

Currently looking at 4 series coupe as I like the look of them. Never thought I'd get a beemer!

Probably won't get one till next year as mortgage needs renewing in March, so need to figure out what I can afford!

You know you want to! Get the B58 engined 440i if you want uber performance, or the 430/35d if you want thriftiness but still smooth and a bit of poke when needed.  Just don't get a 420i or something as they're pants in terms of power to weight. The 4 series is a hefty old lump.

You can join the VW > BMW defectors club  :drinking:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 09:34:00 pm by pudding »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2023, 09:32:51 pm »
Cheers, I’ll be sure to give you a shout when I inevitably get more baffled.

Yeah xDrive is off the list now for that reason…I’ll just be budgeting for some winter tyres.

Went to see a 330e saloon this week, nice car but the boot isn’t big enough with the batteries there. Ruled out diesel now too, my commute isn’t quite suited for it. Hopefully get to test a 420i Gran Coupe in the next couple of weeks - main concern there is that the fuel economy isn’t going to be any better than the golf. Polestar 2 has also been thrown into the mix  :signLOL:

Anyway, it seems a few others are in a similar position so once I've parted ways with it I'll update here.

Winter tyres are working a treat on my 330d  :happy2: It would be undrivable on untreated roads without them  :grin:

Get the B48 engined 420i if you can stretch to one that new  :happy2:  I don't really get the point of hybrids so probably wise striking that one off the list.

My mate bought a Polestar 2 Performance after he blew up his M135i. He says there is no comparison  :happy2:

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2024, 12:37:04 pm »
So, the golf went at the weekend. Sad times.

Sold it privately and it went for £4k, I think I could have got a bit more if I'd wanted but I was more than happy with that.

Didn't take too long to sell, a few days.

Most genuine interest was from eBay. I did put it on facebook first as it's free, loads of interest but mostly people making ridiculously low offers or offering swaps with random crap!

Details: Edition 30, 196k, DSG, APR Stage 1, FSH.

Thought some of that information might be useful since a few others on here were thinking of selling up.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2024, 01:08:51 pm »

Most genuine interest was from eBay. I did put it on facebook first as it's free, loads of interest but mostly people making ridiculously low offers or offering swaps with random crap!

I had the same when trying to sell my Ed30 a couple of years ago, I had some guy ring up at midnight telling me it wasn't a genuine Ed 30! Offers of £1500 off Market place. Not racist but a lot of the time wasters were foreign.  :fighting2:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 01:16:54 pm by GVK »

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 05:23:49 pm »

Sold it privately and it went for £4k, I think I could have got a bit more if I'd wanted but I was more than happy with that.

Thought some of that information might be useful since a few others on here were thinking of selling up.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing - was that using auction or Buy it Now?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:01 pm »
196K is really impressive  :happy2:  All things considered, I think the price you got wasn't too bad tbh.

When I sold mine, <50K ones were going for 5 figures, so high mileage really does clobber their value!

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2024, 01:37:57 am »
After almost 10 years of ownership and coming up to 200k miles it’s time to for me to start thinking about moving onto something else. An uninspiring fuel-efficient family car beckons and I’ve been wondering what to do with the Golf. Given it’s age and mileage I don’t think I’d get much for it anywhere. Part ex and webuyanycar values will be minimal I’d assume so I’m thinking selling privately could be the best option as I’m sure even a breaker would be interested.?

It’s a 2007 Edition 30, full service history, numerous cam belt and dsg services over the years plus all the regular things like dv, pcv and cam follower etc. Bodywork is to be expected for it’s age with rust starting show through on the sills and one rear arch. Front wings were replaced 3 years ago along with a front end respray. It’s been really well looked after and maintained but is starting to look a bit tired and showing signs of its age now.

Another option is just to keep it as weekend/project car but I know it will end up being a money pit.

Anyone else been in a similar position and what did you do? Also if anyone has any recommendations on sensible cars that aren’t a Nissan Qashqai that’d could help too  :signLOL:
My old man have that for sale in good condition you can contact him via mail
phillipwilson654346@gmail.com

SCAMMER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2024, 02:07:29 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing - was that using auction or Buy it Now?

I put it up as a classified ad and added the best offer option to it. Set the classified price and the lowest offer you'll consider, that way eBay automatically rejects any offer below that. Helps with time wasters and silly offers. I did mine at £4k classified with the minimum offer set to £3500.

I did consider auction but one problem I could see with that is people winning and not actually turning up meaning it has to be re-listed. With the classified I was able to keep my advert open up until I had sold the car so if it fell through I didn't have to put it back up for sale.

@GVK Yeah insane, people offering 50% less than asking price without even viewing the car. Also, swaps wtf? I was offered a Freelander, a Touran, multiple A3s, a crafter(!) and a regular mk5 gti (why?) Always worth a try since it's free but it's fairly draining.

@pudding more than happy with it really, it's going to need a bit spending on it so seemed a fair price. I paid £9k for it 10 years ago so it's been good value! All the money spent over those 10 years may tell a different story though  :laugh: There still seems to be a few 5 figure ones about, not sure they're selling though.