All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

MK5 GTI - Just completely died whilst driving!

(1/2) > >>

GreigC:
Hello, I was driving back from work and my 2009 MK5 DSG GTI just died…. When I turned the ignition key it was like the car had no battery yet I still had hazard lights, windows & head unit. When turning the key the highline clocks and full cluster are totally blank yet had power to other stuff above.

Got out checked under the bonnet at the battery terminals and if anything obvious was at fault but everything looked good. After 5 minutes the car starts perfect again instrument cluster back to normal and I got about 1/2 mile down the road and it completely cut off again! no warning signs on dash….just initially heavy steering and dead. I waited little shorter next time about 2 min and again started perfect… off I went quickly.. I got the car into my driveway left it to idle… died again.

Initially I thought… battery, alternator or ground.

I’ve searched online with mixed results… it seems like an issue with similar VWs that share our platform… the posts I’ve found have exactly the same symptoms and point to relay “433”?

Any help would be great as I need my car for work!

Thanks

GVK:
Check the battery ground cable that goes from the gearbox to the chassis, seen them fail before. No idea on the relay sorry.

GreigC:

--- Quote from: GVK on May 07, 2024, 11:21:22 pm ---Check the battery ground cable that goes from the gearbox to the chassis, seen them fail before. No idea on the relay sorry.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the reply. I’ll check that.

bacillus:
there is a 433 relay behind the cubby box but can't say if the car has more than one...

GreigC:
Turned out to be RELAY B1 under the dashboard (under the steering wheel)

£20 from TPS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version