Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?  (Read 135635 times)

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »
I have them as standard on mine and can honestly say they're pretty pointless!

Pointless to you, worth every penny to me.  Everyone to their own. :happy2:

Absolutely. I had them on my previous MKV GTI and really miss them. They fold in just enough for me to get my car in the garage at night. I have to fold them in by hand every morning & night now  :sad1:

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

cameluk

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »
I have them as standard on mine and can honestly say they're pretty pointless!

They do have the puddle lights in them though and they are nice  :grin:

I want the puddle lights, the folding is just an extra while I am changing the mirrors over

Offline jaffa666

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »
Think I have puddle lights, but dont think I have automatic folding mirrors, is that possible, if i turn the dial to the 12 oclock position, they dont fold in.
any ideas

cameluk

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
Think I have puddle lights, but dont think I have automatic folding mirrors, is that possible, if i turn the dial to the 12 oclock position, they dont fold in.
any ideas

You can have the puddles without folding, two different options

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 10:11:59 am »
Hi,

Sorry, more questions for ya! I'm still trying to understand what I need and I want to make sure I get the right stuff!

So just to confirm, I gonna need :

And then everything should be a straight swap/plug & play and the auto-folding will just work but I will need vag com to enable the puddle lights? Also, is it the controller or the mirror (or both) the does the revers activated auto-dipping kerb view? As I don't want to loose that feature.

Cheers

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

cameluk

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:56 am »
Hi,

Sorry, more questions for ya! I'm still trying to understand what I need and I want to make sure I get the right stuff!

So just to confirm, I gonna need :

<cut>

And then everything should be a straight swap/plug & play and the auto-folding will just work but I will need vag com to enable the puddle lights? Also, is it the controller or the mirror (or both) the does the revers activated auto-dipping kerb view? As I don't want to loose that feature.

Cheers

Steve

Everything on the list looks good to me, don't know about the auto dipping mirror, as my 08 doesn't have that currently original mirrors

Its worth finding out the version of controllers you have fitted already before buying new ones

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:57:14 am »
Cheers, thanks.

Are you sure you haven't got the reverse activated auto dipping mirror? Mine is a 57 and it has it & I thought it was standard by then? I didn't think mine had it at first until I figured out how it actually works - you have to kinda set it up first!

Also, I've never bought from German eBay. Is it just then same as from UK eBay? Do I need to sign up or can I just my UK account and treat it as if I was buying from UK as normal? Are the German traders generally OK about dealing with us over here and do they generally speak English OK enough to email/ask questions etc?

Steve

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »
Cheers, thanks.

Are you sure you haven't got the reverse activated auto dipping mirror? Mine is a 57 and it has it & I thought it was standard by then? I didn't think mine had it at first until I figured out how it actually works - you have to kinda set it up first!

Also, I've never bought from German eBay. Is it just then same as from UK eBay? Do I need to sign up or can I just my UK account and treat it as if I was buying from UK as normal? Are the German traders generally OK about dealing with us over here and do they generally speak English OK enough to email/ask questions etc?

Steve

you can use your english account info on ebay.de, they are good at english in general, ask them about shipping before bidding, and chech they accept paypal.  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

cameluk

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 10:40:31 pm »

Steve

As Danishmkvgti says,

You can use your UK ebay account, not all German sellers accept paypal, and take note on the postage, its a lot more expensive for them to ship to the UK than the other way around.

Most Germans can communicate in English and will respond

I know a little German so I've always tried to ask them in German, but almost always they reply in far better English  :ashamed:

cameluk

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 01:41:57 pm »
Attempted to fit my folding mirrors with puddle lights over the weekend, and it didn't go as planned

Removing the door trims and the old mirrors was fine, plenty of guides on the net
I recommend using a magnetic torx bit otherwise there is a high risk of dropping the bolts for the mirrors into the interior of the door, never to be seen again  :scared:

As mine is a MY08 car I needed 3 GEN controllers

so I picked up the following

1K0959701N - drivers door
1K0959702AG - passenger door

In VCDS on both modules there is the long coding to enable folding mirror (for MY08) cars (this option isn't available/needed for 2 GEN controllers and I haven't seen any mention of it on any forum)

On the 1K0959702AG it accepted the coding for folding mirrors

Installed the passenger mirror, but when folding it goes forwards and not into the car and doesn't appear to lock into position when in the normal mirror position, I'm sure it was fine before attached to the car  :confused:

When trying to enable folding mirror on the drivers controller 1K0959701N, it fails, coding not accepted  :scared:, apart from not folding the mirror appears to be fine and doesn't suffer the 'loose' action of the passenger mirror

On a plus point the puddle lights look pretty good, just need non yellow bulbs  :sick:

Going to have to take another look at the passenger mirror, and investigate further the drivers controller  :sad1:

And apologies to Scott, I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone after discovering all these problems after spending so obtaining all the parts

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »
cameluk ,

Hi mate I've got the folding mirrors on my car,its a 08 same years as yours.
I've got the vcds printout regarding controllers hope this helps in anyway.

lee.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver        Labels: 1K0-959-701-MAX3.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 959 701 AL    HW: 1K0 959 701 AL
   Component: Tuer-SG         006 1204 
   Coding: 0000694
   Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.        Labels: 1K0-959-702-MAX3.lbl
   Part No SW: 1K0 959 702 N    HW: 1K0 959 702 N
   Component: Tuer-SG         006 1220 
   Coding: 0000950
   Shop #: WSC 01279 785 00200
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

cameluk

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »
This is what VCDS gives me  :confused:

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 06:21:07 pm »
I'm a newbie with the vcds cable so don't shoot me down,did you code the drivers controller as well as the above pic is only the passenger side.
I'll have a look at my coding on mine if you like? :smiley:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 06:32:03 pm »
topic related, could someone with a standard gti from about 12 month 05 (06 model) which have folding mirrors and puddlelights and reverse function via VCDS give me the info (ETKA numbers) on their motors in the doors, so i know which to get for mine??   :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline golfman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:28 pm »
Hi jake this is what i have on my 2006 golf :happy2: