Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?  (Read 136346 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
If you have folding mirrors the mirror switch will have the fold function on it,  if it doesn't then your mirrors won't fold,  they don't just have the motors in dormant until people want to use them.  But from your scan you do have max modules both sides so potentially these will work folding mirrors

Yeah I have the normal manual switch and maybe not power folding but no way of checking really but the only reason I think maybe power folding is the Mag that used my car as the ED30 special piece said it had Luxury Pack which I believe includes power folding mirros

VWsweetheart

« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of extensive reading both on here and other forums regarding this mod. I have a US model year 2008 (made in Oct 2007) 3 door R32 and want to retrofit these on my car. However, we didn't get them in the US and from what I have read I need a very specific part number for the door controllers or else it won't work on my car. Also the number of doors matter too.

I have a line on a set from a 2005 Golf with 5 doors and I'm worried that the door controllers won't work on my car. I have read I need ones from a 3 door year 2007 or newer car. Is this true? I have read I also need Gen 3 MAX door controllers. I don't know yet what type these door control modules are.

Thanks very much for any help!
Katie

Offline tdimac

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: MY 07 ED30, stage 1 remap, millet resonated system, retrofit oem cruise, RCD510 with oem bluetooth, led interior lighting, teardrop wipe on rear wiper, vcds
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
Does anyone know if the GEN 3 max Q window controllers for the Jetta/ Golf variant or even Passat will work with a golf ? Just trying to find a slightly more cost effective way of retrofitting elec folding mirrors or whether I need to rob a bank to buy some GEN 3 max N ones.
Plus is fitting the Seat/Skoda window controller still the only way to get them to fold with the fob or has someone figured out how to alter firmware etc on the VW ones ? Just don't fancy having to go down the door skin off route to fit a bump stop if possible. :happy2:

danik

« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2017, 01:11:44 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post here and I need to share with you my experience!  :drinking:
I've read so many things out there for this retrofit. I must confess, this is the worst retrofit I've done to my car so far.

If you find a set from a totalled car, then it should be plug n play (depends on the gen of the car and the model year)
I was not lucky enough to find a complete set and I had to buy each part from different sellers.

It worked using a 701N module at the driver side and for the passenger side I had to try 6-7 different modules.
It was not working using a 702N module (K). I tried an AG module and it did the trick for me.
Everything work properly now, except the passenger side mirror puddle light. It is working properly ONLY when the mirror is open.
For a reason, each time the mirror folds, the light goes off. When I open the mirror the power comes back to the light.

Any ideas how to fix that?   :thinking:

Thanks in advance.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #214 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
Hello all, this is my first post here and I need to share with you my experience!  :drinking:
I've read so many things out there for this retrofit. I must confess, this is the worst retrofit I've done to my car so far.

If you find a set from a totalled car, then it should be plug n play (depends on the gen of the car and the model year)
I was not lucky enough to find a complete set and I had to buy each part from different sellers.

It worked using a 701N module at the driver side and for the passenger side I had to try 6-7 different modules.
It was not working using a 702N module (K). I tried an AG module and it did the trick for me.
Everything work properly now, except the passenger side mirror puddle light. It is working properly ONLY when the mirror is open.
For a reason, each time the mirror folds, the light goes off. When I open the mirror the power comes back to the light.

Thanks in advance.
The puddle light coding is set in the firmware of the module, some modules  it stays on some modules it goes off when fold, nothing you can do but live with it
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #215 on: November 02, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »

Thanks in advance.
The puddle light coding is set in the firmware of the module, some modules  it stays on some modules it goes off when fold, nothing you can do but live with it

Someone with ODIS could recode the module's firmware. Maybe copy the whole firmware from a "good" known module to danik's module? :thinking:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2017, 01:14:18 am »
I'm still upset that we can't make it fold on the Gen 2  :sad1:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2017, 08:29:31 am »
How about changing the driver side door card wiring to a gen 3 and fit a gen3 folding module? You will only need to swap about 4 pins on the power loom.

Thats where I ended up on my last golf but gave up before then lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

danik

« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:58 am »

I've seen this function on the B6/B7 Passat models.
Probably the module I got is from a Jetta, AG with SW20XX or SW21XX, not sure 100%. 

Check this video (00:40-00:49), the light goes off for the passenger. 

Someone with ODIS could recode the module's firmware. Maybe copy the whole firmware from a "good" known module to danik's module? :thinking:

I have a friend with ODIS, but I am not sure if I can trust him. Do you know which one is the ODIS / VCP address for the puddle light?
Or what should I change? I think it's quite risky to start experimenting on a working module, but I will give it a try..   :thinking:

When I unlock the car with the mirrors folded in, it sucks to have the one puddle light inactive..   :sick:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:53:37 am by danik »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
How about changing the driver side door card wiring to a gen 3 and fit a gen3 folding module? You will only need to swap about 4 pins on the power loom.

but you said you had issues with rear doors locking?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2017, 10:50:32 am »

Yes with a seat leon module fitted in front.

You can get a version N door module for the front which fold the mirrors , and have the rear doors still locking. and then get SI-R32 to flash the N module to have fold on key.

Only tricky thing you need to find is a N door module which folds. My car came with N modules but they dont allow folding.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2017, 11:16:51 am »

Yes with a seat leon module fitted in front.

You can get a version N door module for the front which fold the mirrors , and have the rear doors still locking. and then get SI-R32 to flash the N module to have fold on key.

Only tricky thing you need to find is a N door module which folds. My car came with N modules but they dont allow folding.
You talking about these ones?

IMG 0416" border="0

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
Nah the part number on the silver bit needs to have N at the end.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2017, 02:21:02 am »

some fuduh told me to buy these ones lol won't be able to resell um or maybe 5 years down the line or even 17 like I did with my Renault turbo and uno turbo parts  :signLOL:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2017, 10:00:30 am »

some fuduh told me to buy these ones lol won't be able to resell um or maybe 5 years down the line or even 17 like I did with my Renault turbo and uno turbo parts  :signLOL:
Lol yeah i still got a seat one as well. Can't shift it as no longer needed.