Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?  (Read 135612 times)

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:18 am »
Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the electronic folding mirrors to my ED30? My previous MKV GTI had them and I really miss them (even tho they hardly fold in!) as I have to manually fold them in every night to put my car in the garage - and it's a right pain the the arse!

I'm not so bothered about the 'puddle lights' that usually come as part of the folding mirrors, tho that would be nice. What would be involved - new switch on the door panel, new motor in the mirror & reprogramming via VAG COM? Or would it not be that easy? Could I raid the parts from a scrappy/dismantler?

Cheers for your help

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:31:21 am »
This was recently discussed on the R32OC site and from what I'm led to believe you have to replace the each mirror and they cost about £175 each!!! If you don' t have the correct generation regulator.. :jumping:

Here you go bud the link... :happy2:

http://www.r32oc.com/general-chat/20484-folding-mirrors.html

HTH
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:33:06 am by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45:45 am »
Done it on my ED 30 - it's all plug in and play, but you'll need a set of folding mirrors, the control unit from each door and the interior switch.  Find someone that has them (similar year car) and doesn't use them, give him some dosh and swap the parts - that's what I did. :happy2:

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:11 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys.

So Turbotrev, it is feasible then? Looking at that link by Moschops it doesn't really look possible!

Would these do http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK5-2004-DOOR-MIRROR-ELECTRIC-FOLDING_W0QQitemZ170153367477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item279dee57b5

What's the control unit? Where's it located & what's it look like - any pics/part no./info etc? Is the interior switch just a straight swap then? So I don't need to do any extra wiring or any VAG COM or anything?

Cheers
Steve

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:04:42 pm by seckles »
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:06:26 pm »
look at some of these its all the stuff you will need but your looking at around £200-£250

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-VW-EOS-Aussenspiegel-Spiegel-anklappbar-1Q0_W0QQitemZ170462362954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item27b0593d4a#ht_2145wt_958

That german breakers usually has them in plus loads of other really useful stuff.

Cheers

Darren

cameluk

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:00:57 pm »
I'm in the process of doing the upgrade (well once the parcel that DHL lost between Germany and the UK turns up - they finally found it in Holland this week) with both folding and puddle lights

You need a new mirror switch, new powered folding mirror assemblies and new regulator modules

Depending on the year of your ED30 depends on which model of regulator modules are required. The controllers may require recoding after fitting

I struggled to to find new regulator modules, mines a 08 car so it requires the 3 gen modules

If you have a vagcom scan of your car, it will tell you which version you currently have fitted

Offline u01atc8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:32 pm »
Is this possible to do on a mk5 1.9 TDi?

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys.

So Turbotrev, it is feasible then? Looking at that link by Moschops it doesn't really look possible!

Would these do http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK5-2004-DOOR-MIRROR-ELECTRIC-FOLDING_W0QQitemZ170153367477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item279dee57b5

What's the control unit? Where's it located & what's it look like - any pics/part no./info etc? Is the interior switch just a straight swap then? So I don't need to do any extra wiring or any VAG COM or anything?

Cheers
Steve

No pics I'm afraid.  The control module is in the door (interior door card needs to be removed to get to it) - the mirror wires plug into it.  No extra wiring is required.  The interior switch is a straight swap.  Maybe I was lucky, but I just swopped mine over and everything worked staightaway without any coding.  To be safe I think you would need all the "new" bits to be the same year as your own car.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:49 am »
I'm in the process of doing the upgrade (well once the parcel that DHL lost between Germany and the UK turns up - they finally found it in Holland this week) with both folding and puddle lights

You need a new mirror switch, new powered folding mirror assemblies and new regulator modules

Depending on the year of your ED30 depends on which model of regulator modules are required. The controllers may require recoding after fitting

I struggled to to find new regulator modules, mines a 08 car so it requires the 3 gen modules

If you have a vagcom scan of your car, it will tell you which version you currently have fitted

OK, cheers. Can you let us know how you get on please - maybe even with some pics as you're doing it? :happy2:
So where did you get your bits from (esp. the modules) & how much did they cost (if you don't mind me asking)?. My car is a 57 reg, MY08, car so I guess I'll need the 3 gen modules too? Unfortunately I don't have vagcom so can't do a scan to find out.

Steve

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:06 am »

No pics I'm afraid.  The control module is in the door (interior door card needs to be removed to get to it) - the mirror wires plug into it.  No extra wiring is required.  The interior switch is a straight swap.  Maybe I was lucky, but I just swopped mine over and everything worked staightaway without any coding.  To be safe I think you would need all the "new" bits to be the same year as your own car.

Cheers mate. What age/year is your car? Sounds like you where lucky, but I think you're right - I 'just' need to find the bits from a 57 (MY08) car and hopefully it'll be an easy swap. Fingers crossed! Incidentally, how easy was it to remove the door cards?

Steve

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 03:29:27 pm »

Cheers mate. What age/year is your car? Sounds like you where lucky, but I think you're right - I 'just' need to find the bits from a 57 (MY08) car and hopefully it'll be an easy swap. Fingers crossed! Incidentally, how easy was it to remove the door cards?

Steve
My cars a 2008 3 door Edition 30.  I think you also need to make sure the parts come off a car with the same number of doors.  Removal of the door cars is not too bad, but a plastic trim removal tool is best used.

cameluk

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »

OK, cheers. Can you let us know how you get on please - maybe even with some pics as you're doing it? :happy2:
So where did you get your bits from (esp. the modules) & how much did they cost (if you don't mind me asking)?. My car is a 57 reg, MY08, car so I guess I'll need the 3 gen modules too? Unfortunately I don't have vagcom so can't do a scan to find out.

Steve

I'll get some pictures when I do mine

Mirror switch from the dealer - went for the Golf VI chrome version at £23

All the other parts picked up from ebay UK and DE

Folding Mirrors with puddle lights, passenger £35, Drivers £65 with the autodimming glass (the glass itself is around £200 from the dealer)

Window regulators , one from UK and the other from Germany - one was £30 and the other £60

ebay prices vary and a lot of the time the description of the mirrors doesn't tell you if they are electrically folding

Taken from vwvortex - the controllers

K Gen 2 Min NAR Jetta, Golf  01/05-09/05
L Gen 2 Max ROW Jetta, Golf Jetta 5/05-6/06, Golf 6/05-5/06
L Gen 2 Max NAR Jetta, Golf (all) 10/05->
L Gen 2 Max ROW, NAR Passat 3/05-5/06
M Gen 3 Min
N Gen 3 Max ROW Golf 5/06-> (2007 in VIN)
Q Gen 3 Max ROW Jetta, Golf Variant, NAR Jetta Wagon 7/06-> (2007 in VIN)
Q Gen 3 Max ROW, NAR Passat 5/06-> (2007 in VIN)

I had M controllers on both sides

I have 1K0959701N  for the passenger side and 1K0959702AG for the drivers side (hopefully it will work when DHL deliver it)

You will need to recode the controllers with the same functions as you currently have plus extra coding if you have the puddle lights.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:53:45 am »
Thanks for the info, that's great. Keep us updated on how you get on fitting yours  :happy2:

Cheers

Steve

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:47:52 am »
I have them as standard on mine and can honestly say they're pretty pointless!

They only fold in a couple of cm so not really much use at all. Mine have a mind of their own when trying to fold them back out (sometimes only one does, other times neither does) and I've heard that this is very common. I believe it's a CAN signal that tells them to fold in/out and I guess the signal doesn't always get there for some reason. It's very frustrating turning the switch repeatedly to try to get them to fold back so I've pretty much completely stopped using them altogether.

They do have the puddle lights in them though and they are nice  :grin:

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »
I have them as standard on mine and can honestly say they're pretty pointless!

Pointless to you, worth every penny to me.  Everyone to their own. :happy2: