Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?  (Read 135628 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 02:41:50 pm »
Cheers Camel willhave a look at what ive got, will hope for some gen 2 max controllers  :wink:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

cameluk

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:13 pm »
Gen 2 Max modules are far easier to locate on ebay

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 07:49:03 pm »
i see from some i've seen on ebay that on gen 3 controller has part number also on the electronic bit as well, i see from ETKA you cant just get that bit seperate, but as i have "M" controller the number is 1k0959793J all the ones i see on ebay uk/de/com the "N" controller version has 1k0959793k  so my question is guys does the paint code really matter as i'm trying to find a cheap way to get the part i need for my new mirrors.

cheers guys
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

cameluk

Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2010, 08:33:11 pm »
Colour code park of ETKA is important for the function, I tried two different modules for the drivers side, both were N, one folded the mirror, the other refused the coding, only difference was the last 3 characters of the part number (after the N)

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »
thanks mate, i didn't think it was really that important looks like there really few and far between on ebay etc so probably going to have to buy each side now from VW, oh well joy...

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:14 am »
Hi,

I'm still trying to find the controllers for mine & trying to resist buying them new from a dealer!

So does anyone know if by any chance these will fit my 2008 Golf (MK 5 obviously) currently with Gen3 controllers (1K0 959 701N) , and so give me folding mirrors? [ebay]330438844186[/ebay] - Google translates to "Door control unit control part for Foldable Mirror Golf 6"

Cheers

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

cameluk

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2010, 12:35:01 pm »
The only think I know about those ebay ones is that you can't use a LHD passenger controller in a RHD passenger door as the mirror will fold opposite to normal i.e will be in the normal position when you select fold on the switch, don't know if you can use a LHD passenger controller as a RHD drivers controller  :sad1:

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:00 am »
Here is a quick guide of adding folding / reverse tilting mirrors its not to hard to do but expensive. Most R32's that didn't have lux pack 1 or 2 or OEM rear

parking sensors do not have fitted folding mirrors or the function of it tilting toward the kerb when reverse is selected as a bonus upgrading will also give you

puddle lights, the mirrors i ordered were

1K2 857 507 BA 9B9   £146  1K2 857 508 AE 9B9  £146

this gives you electric adjustment,heated,folding,puddle lights and memory function for the passenger one for the titling. Now the annoyoing and EXPENSIVE

bit if your car just has electric operated and heated mirrors the door controllers will not be compatable with your shiny new mirrors these will also need

updating which has now doubled the price of what you've just paid for the mirrors.

door controllers i bought were the top one for passenger side and second to top one for drivers side (no anti dazzle drivers side mirror as glass costs £260)

1K0 959 701 AG Z0Y  £188  1K0 959 702 AG Z32  £178   i did get a bit of a discount on these so may be a tad more expensive.

last you will need a new mirror switch for your door panel 1K0 959 565 J REH

now for the fitting remove the door panels

–   Switch off ignition.
–   Using a removal wedge -3409-, lever upper part of door handle recess -1- upwards out of mountings in door.
–   Depending on vehicle equipment, disconnect wiring harnesses from upper part of door handle recess.
–   Remove the two bolts -2- in area of grip moulding (4 Nm).
–   Remove bolt -3- and the three bolts -4- (2 Nm).
–   Using removal pliers -3392-, release bottom section of door trim from mountings.
–   Using removal pliers -3392-, release sides of door trim from mountings.
–   Pull door trim upwards vertically out of window slot.
–   If vehicle is equipped with a radio system, disconnect wiring harness from loudspeaker.
–   Disconnect wiring harness of door trim from door control unit.
–   Detach Bowden cable -5- from interior door handle mechanism -6-.
–   Remove bolt -7- (2 Nm) and lever triangular mirror cover -8- out of fasteners using removal wedge -3409-.
–   If vehicle is equipped with a radio system, disconnect loudspeaker wiring harness from cover.

Removing
–   Switch off ignition.
–   Using a removal wedge -3409-, lever upper part of handle recess -1- out of door handle in door trim.
–   Remove bolts -2- and -3- (4 Nm).
–   Remove bolt -4- and the three bolts -5- (2 Nm).
–   Using removal pliers -3392-, release bottom section of door trim from mountings.
–   Using removal pliers -3392-, release sides of door trim from mountings.
–   Pull door trim upwards vertically out of window slot.
–   If vehicle is equipped with a radio system, disconnect wiring harness from loudspeaker.
–   Disconnect wiring harness of door trim from door control unit.
–   Detach Bowden cable -6- from interior door handle mechanism -7-.
–   Remove bolt -8- (2 Nm) and lever triangular mirror cover -9- out of fasteners using wedge -3409-.
–   If vehicle is equipped with a radio system, disconnect loudspeaker wiring harness from cover.

now remove the mirrors, when removing the mirror screws put a piece of bluetak on the end of your torx driver to stop it falling inside the door.

when the mirrors are off you will need to remove the glass and the colour coded cover ready to fit back on when there on the car not before.

refit the new mirrors, now we need to change the door controllers

once this is done the coding needs to be donewith VAG-COM to allow all the functions to work, this is also a handy time when the door panels are off to

install new speakers/door exit entry warning lights/door handle illumination.

===add screen shots of VAG-COM===

test everything works before putting the panels back on.

job done.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »
Hi. I've only just noticed your post. Nice one  :happy2: Wish you had posted that a month ago, it would have saved me a lot of time/effort/heartache! I'm currently driving around with no door cards on at the mo waiting for the door controllers to arrive at the dealers (at 170 per side, ouch!),  then I should be all done.  Still, it's a great summary of what's needed if anyone else wants to do it.

Cheers

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2010, 05:48:04 pm »
Hi seckles i only just caught this thread about 2 weeks ago and just thought f@@@ it i really want this mod believe me if i would have known that the controllers were not compatable i would never have started it as i to had to buy mirrors and controllers from dealer as ebay had nothing , still all in and working now so just need to pay credit card off lol. hope your install goes all ok

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2010, 10:49:54 am »
HI,

HELP! The saga continues…

So I’ve finally got my door/window controllers (or what ever they are called) from VW (at a cost of 1 arm & 1 leg), installed them and everything worked great – the mirrors folded & everything. Yay! But then I discovered that the rear doors wouldn’t lock & I couldn’t open the rear windows – it was as if the car thought it was a 3 door rather than a 5 door car. I put the old controllers back in and the rear doors worked fine again, so I know it’s definitely something to do with the new controllers.

Darren (Mortygtdi) came round to help out & tried to recode the new controllers but, despite his best efforts, just couldn’t get the rear doors to work. So does anyone else know what’s going on & how to fix it? Can anyone give me a list of their settings for the controllers? The controllers are the new MK6 ones I believe – part nos I got are 1K0 959 701A/Z2P & 1K0 959 702A/ Z1P which I was reliably informed were the right ones by the VW dealer. Surely it’s just a coding issue isn’t it? There aren’t different ones for 3 / 5 doors are there?

Cheers

Steve

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
Hi Steve

My ETKA doesn't cover them part numbers so cannot check if there OK, when programming my doors up i had the option of adding if it was a five door car (i have 3 door), do you know if you had this option on VAG-COM when programming, it does look on the older models year 2010 in ETKA you had the choice to buy either 2 door or 4 door versions for the passenger side or drivers side but the main part number didn't change it was just the z number that was different if that makes sense.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2010, 10:13:05 am »
Darren (mortygtdi) did the VAG-COM stuff for me so I don't know. But I do know he had to install the latest version to be able to code the new controllers and spent ages on it but just couldn't sort it!

I don't quite understand what you are saying tho! Are you saying it does look like there are 2 door & 4 door versions of these new controllers & i have probably got the 2 doors ones then?

Steve

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2010, 12:31:52 pm »
Hi again steve, the 2010 car which should be the mark 6 does list seperate controllers for 2/4 door yes as does the mark 5, but my etka isn't bang upto date so i don't have your numbers on it for the controllers you have, i'd pop back to VW and make sure they gave you the correct ones, no big deal if there wrong as anything over 10 quid they can send back and get what you want so my dealer said anyway.

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2010, 04:26:17 pm »
The controllers I got are the right ones after all and we (i.e. Darren!) have now got the back doors working and the mirrors folding just fine :smiley: However, he just couldn't get the ambient lights & heaters working, well, not with out disabling some other function at the same time.  :confused:

So does anyone know the correct coding for these new mk6 controllers? or can anyone (e.g. cameluk ?) with the newer controllers give a dump of their settings please?

Thanks

Steve