Make a donation

Author Topic: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?  (Read 135645 times)

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Retrofit electric folding mirrors?
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:06 pm »
hi guys

can you help?  i/m just getting my head around ETKA and get a different part number ever time.  i have door controllers 1k0 959 701N with a code of 692 on the drivers door.  as others the units wont accept +4096 to activate folding mirrors.  reading the posts it seems my N module wont operate the folding mirrors so the fun begins in find one that will.

i spent 30mins in vw and came up with nothing.  from the other posts it seems that 1k0 959 701 N Z72, now superceded will activate the mirror, but ETKA says this module is for a 2 door car.  i want 4 door?

also what the hell is automatic dimming? and do i want it? guessing no!  :stupid:

trying to use ETKA myself, my thinking is model 6XQ=electrically foldable,adjustable seperately heated.  that takes me to 1k0 959 701 Z78 which is now 1k0 959 701 AG Z0Z?

this differs from what VW told me (AG Z11) on the end (Z7A superceded),  which i think will work but not sure what the difference is?

can someone with a clue on ETKA help me out please??  if you brave you might like to take a punt at the passenger door?  :laugh:

thanks
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:47:06 pm by daveangel »

cameluk

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2010, 01:10:04 am »
Auto dimming, means the glass should turn darker when the interior mirror dims, however check the price of the glass at £280. I can't get my retrofitted one to work in my 2008 car, currently thinking the cable is missing in the door

For a drivers controller  for a 4 door ;-

I think you want 1K0 959 701 N Z7A which has been replaced with 1K0 959 701 AG Z11

For the passenger side

I think 1K0 959 702 AG Z1Z which has been replaced with 1K0 959 702 Ag Z35, you will also get the benefit of this of having the passenger mirror dip when you select reverse and turn the mirror switch to L

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:21 am »
Both controllers are now superseded to mk6 modules 5K0 959 701A Z01 & 5K0 959 702 Z02 I think thats the numbers off the top of my head?  coding on a 4 door car was

Drivers: 4790
Passengers: 5046

Darren

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:41 pm »
thanks for the posts guys!

@cameluk

the drivers folding mirror i have to go on came complete.  i noticed the glass doesnt have a outer convex part like the one on the car.  i am wondering if the mirror may be autodimming then?  is there an easy way to identify the glass?  

you also say you cant make your work, i recall reading somewhere that vw left out a wiring harness that prevent autodimming from working.  i dont understand this as the mirror assembly is hard wired to the controller which sits on the cam bus, so what could be missing?

the part number you give for the drivers side is the same as the vw dealer managed to guess at so that seems pretty good bet.  
the passenger side, vw guessed (and it was a guess) 1K0 959 702 (AG)? AZW?

@morttygttdi
does this info come from vw as ETKA doesnt find these part numbers?

thanks again guys! wishing i never started!! :rolleye:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:06:58 pm by daveangel »

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »
When i was looking for a GTI to buy i knew i really wanted one with the folding mirrors,
Even though they don't fold in much they are a boon if you park in a garage like i do with a 125cc scooter on one side and a sharp metal door shut on the other,
You should have seen the sate of the mirrors on my old Mk4 GTI.

cameluk

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2010, 06:38:28 pm »

the drivers folding mirror i have to go on came complete.  i noticed the glass doesnt have a outer convex part like the one on the car.  i am wondering if the mirror may be autodimming then?  is there an easy way to identify the glass?  

you also say you cant make your work, i recall reading somewhere that vw left out a wiring harness that prevent autodimming from working.  i dont understand this as the mirror assembly is hard wired to the controller which sits on the cam bus, so what could be missing?

Around the edge of a auto dimming mirror there is a 5mm band which is a different colour

Elsawin shows direct wiring between the auto dimming interior mirror and the door mirror, I assume I am missing this wiring, but every time I take my door card off I forget to take a look  :ashamed:

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »
thanks!

can you change the door window regulator, like for like? or does it need vag com to get the module working?

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 11:14:22 pm »
Can someone confirm to me something, been looking at controllers and the 1k0 959 701/2 pt number is on the motor not the controller, the pt no actually stuck to the controller is 1k0 959 792/3 is this right, also are the eos mirror units the same as the mkv?
cheers
James
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 11:37:22 pm »
Your right in a way that they do have different part no but the main one is the motor?? The controller cannot be bought by itself :stupid: 

The Eos has a different base plate has does the passat although the actual mirror body is the same on all.

Darren

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2010, 04:05:10 am »
Cheers Darren,
so the pt no on the controller is errelevent? people have mentioned buying stuff from german ebay but as they are LHD is any of it usefull, have found a full set for sale there, mirrors with puddle lights and folding, some with auto dim and kirb tilt, 1ko 959 701 Q controllers and the switch. apart from the auto dim can they not be coded for RHD and use my existing glass.

James
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2010, 05:24:34 pm »
The mirrors could be used but the controllers from a LHD are useless on our cars,  Its not the part no that you need to look at but the end 3 digits after the last letter i.e 1K0 959 701L Z04 this is what I have and although not giving mush info away with the letter but on ETKA it is a Max spec UK controller with folding and auto dimming.

Darren

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:21 pm »
Hi Me again sorry to be a right pain. would controllers from other vag cars work eg 1t0 959 701? alot of the controllers ive seen dont have the extra code after the pt number i.e just 1k0 959 701N, how do i know what the extra code is.

Why do the germans have to have LHD there are loads of cheap mirrors and controllers over there  :sad1:
cheers
James

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »
hi

I ordered 1k0 959 701 ag z11 as a drives door controller (4 door) from VW and today they supplied 5k0 959 701 AZ 2T.  i assumed this was wrong and was about to stomp back in when i reread mortygttdi's post again.  the 1k0 contollers it seems are superceeded by mk6 units.  the long code helper doesnt work for these units but again using mortygttdi's setting i have set the controller to 4790.  this brings the power retract and puddle to life....(thank god)

however, and here's my problem.  the mirrors retract using the switch, but dont fold on lock?  i assume they should and you dont have to turn the switch each time?? DO YOU???  :ashamed:

thanks

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:48:30 pm by daveangel »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2010, 10:17:48 pm »
Dave the mirrors don't retract with the lock/unlock button only with the switch... :happy2:

Darren

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »
Dave the mirrors don't retract with the lock/unlock button only with the switch... :happy2:

Darren

:laugh: no way! well thats poor.  thanks for posting you controller codes.  the bin lid was off and the mirrors were heading to the land fill until i entered your codes.

my first upgrade success then!  :drinking: