Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilover decision - adjustable damping, do I really need it?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Coilover decision - adjustable damping, do I really need it?
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:33:02 am »
So...I've gathered the shortlist of coilovers that I will consider. These are as follows, in no order:

1.)  Bilstein B14 'PSS' - NON ADJUSTABLE
2.)  Eibach Pro Street S - NON ADJUSTABLE
3.)  Koni Coilover Kit - ADJUSTABLE DAMPING
4.)  KW Variant 1's - NON ADJUSTABLE
5.)  KW Variant 2's - ADJUSTABLE DAMPING
6.)  H&R PCS - ADJUSTABLE DAMPING
7.)  FK Konigsport Silverline X - ADJUSTABLE DAMPING

From those that have experience of coilovers...do I really need the adjustable damping aspect, or is it merely a bragging point in the pub..?! Is it a useful feature that I would make use of?

I will be doing the occasional track day, but it will mostly be road driving.

Also, if anyone has experience of the above coilovers, please feel free to share your opinion on them...! In particular, the Koni's, H&R, and the FK's - as write-ups on these are quite rare for the GTI.

Thanks all,
Chris.  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: Coilover decision - adjustable damping, do I really need it?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:35:00 am »
if you live on a track youd make use of it  :party:

it depends on how much you wanna spend. you can spend a stupid amout and get the best of the best susspension for a hardcore track slag, or spend 500-600 on eibachs which would also handle awesome on a track.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:37:10 am by joesgti »

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »
Adjustable damping is worth it if you want to be able to have a more supple ride on the road and then a rock hard suspension for those special track days. :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:34 pm »
I don't know if this will help, but I'll try.

I've got the Eibachs, before I got the Autotech ARBs they were a really plush ride and more than happily handled a track day on their own.. Now I've got the ARBs the frequency seems all to cock and the front end in particular is a bit chattery on the road. Ideally I'd like some adjustment to dial this out, then stiffen it back up for the track to try and get a compromise... rather than having to change the ARB settings to achieve the same thing.

Depends what you want from it, what you're planning to do and what you're prepared to put up with.

What's the price on the KW V2 and H&R versions, is it much difference or a lot?

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:32:32 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:13:31 pm »
Suprised at that TD :surprised:

Mine seem fine and I've got the ARB's on their hardest setting.
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:20:00 pm »
Hmm... Interesting Hurdy, mine are on the middle - maybe I should just stop being a lazy git and get under the car to change them?
Sideways yo!

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:53:46 pm »
I have Bilsteins and I can adjust the ride -  i.e. soft or hard - on a scale of 1 to 10.  Is this what you mean by damping?  There is the rebound rate also - not sure if its different - but this is preset to an 'optimal' level by Bilstein.  You can change the spring rate on the K3s though

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »
sometimes to much adjustability can be a bad thing, people fiddle when they don't really know what there doing and makes things worse or even dangerous. See it all the time on the sports bikes, alot of them have adjustable ride height, rebound damping, compression damping etc front and rear and people mess and make things worse.

IMO for road use and the occasional track day fixed damping is fine, if your planning to get heavily into trackdays etc the adjustment can be handy, and maybe as things wear, down the line, the adjustment can be used to compensate for this

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:29:32 pm »
^^^ agreed, if my issues are as simple as just using soft and hard on the ARB cos the frequency on medium is a bit odd, then I'm more than happy to keep using my non-adjustables. I'd love a set of Bilsteins/KW3's, but I won't go out of my way to get some until this lot reach end of life.

I know nowt about set up and agree people can have too much. I was given 3 rough tips I stick to as a novice:

Run it soft in the wet, you need to "feel" it going.

Run it hard in the dry, you'll bottle out before the car does.

Run it in the middle with a touch more ride height at the 'ring. Unless you're running super stiff race set ups, it'll bottom out like hell if you're too low and the last thing you need is a snappy ARB on some bizarre camber corner.
Sideways yo!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:24:17 pm »
one thing i would say about the bilsteins is that they are so easy to use just turn wheel to lock and crawl under car and turn the dial, its ok having the ability to dampen them but if you have to jack the car up or take of wheels then it gets a bit of a hassle if you have not got those facilities and i doubt you will use them that often.

though out of your list mate, from what I have read the KW2 look pretty spot  on, in  terms of ride and reliability, or go for the bilstein non adjustable but get them fitted at a place which knows what they are doing and can do traditional alining and corner weighting which will give you best ride.

:happy2:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:09 pm »
Many thanks to all of those whom replied and gave me advice, it is much appreciated, and I have taken it all onboard!

I see the value of both routes really. It would be nice to adjust the damping, but at the same time, I reckon that it would be pretty easy to mess up. Furthermore, as the car won't be living on a racetrack I doubt I'd change the damping too much for road use anyway.

Just had a lengthy conversation with Julian at Balance Motorsport, and he said that I should without doubt go for the Bilsteins. He said that their monotube design is far superior to the twintube design of the likes of KW (bar their clubsport range) and Eibach. He said that I wouldn't miss the adjustability of the B16's, and that a well adjusted B16 would be very very similar to the B14 anyway.

Can't wait, but it's going to be a long few months before I order some!

Thanks again,
Chris.  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp