Make a donation

Author Topic: AP Pro 5000 BBK  (Read 19915 times)

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
Re: AP Pro 5000 BBK
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 11:55:27 am »
I definately felt going from 40kg of the OEM S3 brakes to the 28kg of my AP 5000+ . Steering felt lighter and more responsive, ride comfort on front increased. As for stopping, it's exactly as Pikey said...you feel no strain on them braking hard from outrageous speeds. Will have to test them better on my next track day to see how RS29 are compared to Carbotech RP2. Until now, I'd say they are not as strong and don't have that "punch in your face" but they are very progressive, make very little noise and work well from cold also !

PS : Anyone knows how important it is to take out the pistons and clean them every 6 months as Ap recommended ? I've heard having no gaskets, dust will accumulate and may damage the pistons ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:57:18 am by fuscobal »
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 01:11:49 pm »
Ive got Project Mu Pads for these AP calipers, the HP21 compound is approved and the pad of choice for the BTCC think of it like a RS29

The HP16 and 19 compounds are more like a more capable Pagid Blue/Orange and work from cold with a better higher than the pagids.

Budget on about £300 plus VAT, they'll probably last half as long again though they're known for incredible wear rates and the H16 has one of the highest bite scores of any pads out there....

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:26 pm »
"hat spec were the pads you sent me Dave?

Thanks.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »
I definately felt going from 40kg of the OEM S3 brakes to the 28kg of my AP 5000+ . Steering felt lighter and more responsive, ride comfort on front increased. As for stopping, it's exactly as Pikey said...you feel no strain on them braking hard from outrageous speeds. Will have to test them better on my next track day to see how RS29 are compared to Carbotech RP2. Until now, I'd say they are not as strong and don't have that "punch in your face" but they are very progressive, make very little noise and work well from cold also !

PS : Anyone knows how important it is to take out the pistons and clean them every 6 months as Ap recommended ? I've heard having no gaskets, dust will accumulate and may damage the pistons ?

I ran mine for about 1 year if I remember correctly and didn't wipe the pistons once, on removal of the brakes (for selling purposes) I checked the pistons and they were perfect, not one sign or spot of corrosion, pitting or scratching the full kit tbh were in very good condition, I was initially worried about the lack of dust seals and piston deterioration.  It's probably worth checking them every now n again though for the time it takes. I was planning on having a look and clean in there when I had my wheels off for there yearly clean.

MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN