Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 417435 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:50:36 pm »
Right.....Im considered the Forum brake geek, so Im thinking about brakes most days inbetween times when Im doing the day job. I've supplied quite a few BBK, components, hoses etc. Always trying to offer a bit of value here and there. Now whats always bugged me is the cost.....Your AP/Alcon/Brembo/ Caparro Kits cost anywhere between 1500-2000 quid - so where can you go if you've got a staged ED30/GTI with 312's.....the R32 setup is probably going to be your first port of call and for what it costs done properly (Circa 400 quid) I've said before its great value.

But its heavy, single piston (which aint great on the limit) pad choice is limited and therefore suitable for a couple of hard laps on track days before proving troublesome....

Its bugged me for a bit...so what if we could find a plentyful supply of calipers (4 pot) proven on track and road, with a wide choice of pads.... quiet for your daily but with a jekyll and hide personality in terms of performance when you put some sporting pads in. What if we could do it with cheap consumables (Plain/Grooved Discs 60/90 quid), (Pads 40-250 quid) with an upgrade path to a reasonable set of two piece discs (<6kg per corner) for those that do more track days than others in your own good time.

What if it was coming in at around 5-600 quid.

Its not going to suit the biggest is best brigade but aesthetically its pleasing and can pack a punch....

I dont do track days personally and only do about 10000 motorway miles a year so I'm not the best person to test these for the benefit of all, my plan would be to supply the brackets and bolts and hoses for these for less than 200 quid. Everything else you need would come from a Porsche Dealer or Ebay or a Breakers Yard. The target price 5-600 quid is achievable

Theres 4-5 pairs on ebay right now- thinking it could be a performance alternative to the R32 setup

The Calipers are the fronts of a 986/987 Cayman/Boxster and.....

Are 4 pots, compact configured for a 24-25mm disc, lightweight with a 800 gram carrier and pads, readily available with upwards of 20 different compounds available from crap mintex to Pagid RS29 through Carbon Metallics. The piston sizes though are where its at... the 36/40mm pistons are common for the front of a 996 Carrera 2 which is why Im convinced this would be a star performer with a great pedal with plenty of power the maths really stack up

The discs are your standard 312mm discs on your GTI/ED30 - the 2 piece rotors could be purchased from AP directly with me supplying the bells and bolts and would be 315mm with a 54mm swept area - still working on this.

So I need a Guinea Pig whos got track days / ring trips planned, runs a standard 18" wheel, whos running a staged GTI or Edition 30/Pirelli , a technical background would be helpful, whos running 312mm discs at the moment, who crapped his pants due to lack of braking last timeout who's good with a camera and could do a review on here....phew

Any deal done would be very favourable and at cost as im looking with to keep this thread going for install, FAQ's, reviews, refurbish how tos etc etc with Mr Guinea Pigs help

Some Pics

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:54:17 am by DaveB1970 »

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.....Read On
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
im liking the sound of this. Will keep an eye on thsi one then to see how it comes along.

:happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:23:51 pm »
Ok first silly question, will it work with the S3/R32 sized disc or are they too thick????

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »
try mater, he was lookin into an R32 setup before his wedding

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »
Ok first silly question, will it work with the S3/R32 sized disc or are they too thick????

Fraid Not Gaz  - like me too thick + wrong offset.

Only silly questions are the ones that didn't get asked.  :grin:

Besides trying to keep the weight down/performance up, wont suit scene queens thinking more about the "Clubman on a budget" thing with these

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »

Fraid Not Gaz  - like me too thick + wrong offset.

Only silly questions are the ones that didn't get asked.  :grin:

Besides trying to keep the weight down/performance up, wont suit SCENE QUEENS thinking more about the "Clubman on a budget" thing with these

What did you just call me???? :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »
i think one of the forum moderators should change your username to that gaz :grin:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:49:59 pm »
Errrrrr thats not what I meant honest   :ashamed:

:notworthy: :notworthy:Soz Gaz :notworthy: :notworthy:  :scared:

What I was meaning was those that lets say focus on aesthetics over performance...........

You've got S3 brakes at the moment unless it turns out to be a total success there seems litle point going from your current setup to these.

I get asked to put big big brakes on all sorts of stock engined cars so when I explain that its going to take 40 of the available 140BHP to cart them around people lose interest so if you're running/planning 350BHP then its 6 pot 340-360 kits all the way. Im thinking the 250-290BHP trackday/clubman bracket here really

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »
Errrrrr thats not what I meant honest   :ashamed:

:notworthy: :notworthy:Soz Gaz :notworthy: :notworthy:  :scared:

What I was meaning was those that lets say focus on aesthetics over performance...........

You've got S3 brakes at the moment unless it turns out to be a total success there seems litle point going from your current setup to these.

I get asked to put big big brakes on all sorts of stock engined cars so when I explain that its going to take 40 of the available 140BHP to cart them around people lose interest so if you're running/planning 350BHP then its 6 pot 340-360 kits all the way. Im thinking the 250-290BHP trackday/clubman bracket here really

only pulling yer leg Dave :pomppomp:

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »
Subscribed to this thread very interested!!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 05:07:10 pm »
What about us lowly 190bhp black smog brigade Dave?? :happy2: 

Darren

Offline disturbed

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »
Edit: Sorry, see on the pic that the pistons are different, this one have a hole but in vw it is a completed pice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:21:40 pm by disturbed »

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »
Nope - totally different.. proper porsche calipers get hard annodised pistons - not plated so to speak

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:46 pm »
I will be interested in a set for the otherhalfs Posh Golf as that really struggles on the 312's   :scared:

But I would prefer to see someone on the site in a Mk5 benefit from this generous offer  :happy2:

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 07:02:23 pm »
Interesting stuff Dave! Subscribed to thread to see the developments, this would have been helpful about a year ago before I got my Tarox's.
Alex
p.s. still need to get back in touch with you Dave about my R32 rears  :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:06:15 pm by alex_chung »