Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 422095 times)

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.....Now on with PICS
« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2010, 11:46:37 pm »
Fitted the kit today, pretty easy about 45 mins a side once you have figured out what to do, first side took me about 2 hours!

First grind back the caliper posts as per DaveB's earlier instructions, initially I fitted the calipers without and all I achieved was the new disk was locked solid.

The disk retaining bolt was siezed and the head stripped so i had to drill out both sides, no real problem, don't need the retaining bolt as the pads hold the dsik in place until you can bolt the wheel on.

First step, once you have removed the old caliper and disk (my old caliper hanging to one side) is to bolt in the adaptors as can be seen:

then bolt caliper on, you can see the two vertical bolts on the left side of the caliper:

then fit pads and on the passenger side I spliced the porsche pad wear sesnor into the VW pad wear sesnor plug so i still have pad wear sensing. Then I fitted new hose: the Y piece in this pic is the cable to the pad wear sesnor and also the ESP sensor. The clearance when you put the wheels on is very tight about 1 - 2 mm max:
Curbing coutesy of my wife  :fighting:
Finished job looks good (haven't cleaned the wheels yet) the pedal feel is sooooooo much beter and even though I haven't bedded the brakes in It feels so much stronger at stopping, can't wait until they are fully bedded in!
Wife in aberdeen with the ed30 at the moment this is my std (well 275HP, 315lbft) GTI with 17" Monza 2's, will try the pescara's when she gets back sometime next week and see if they fit, they are std 18"'s

Total cost:
Ebay calipers, calipers and seals all very good £235
Fitting kit - many thanks DaveB £200
New disks, pads and porsche wear sesnors £110
Brake fuild ~ £10
Paint I did it myself with a brush, had a part used tim of very high temperature engine enamal (came up well!)
Brembo caliper tansfers i high temp PVC (high quality) ebay £6

Total about £560

Very happy :happy2: many thanks to daveB

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:41 am »
Looking Good John

So just to confirm on the 17" Monza - no spacer required...but clearance is tight maybe 2-3mm??????

Looking good for the 18" Monza if thats the case

Might be worth investing in a non hubcentric 2 maybe 3mm spacer and some 30mm bolts instead of standard OEM 27mm bolts to give a little clearance for caliper/wheel flex when hooning.

PS John...Guy over on uk-mkivs is selling some pagid blues for a Boxster 1/3 worn for £75

Were the pads that came with the calipers proper OEM Textar jobbies?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:19:45 am by DaveB1970 »

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
Looking very good John.

Hmmmmmmmmm, any one need some spacers....................

Got a 3mm set with the relevant radius seated bolts............

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
Hi Dave,

Exactly right, 17" std monza's, clearance is nearer the 2mm mark though.......it does look bloody tight and I am worried when it gets hot in there are 20 mins of heavy braking into quarry and it all expands. I think a slim spacer would be a good investment.

Will try with 18" pescara's later in the week and post results.

Just running some ferodo's in the calipers at the moment (for the road), will get some better compound for the track, the pagid's look interesting will follow up cheers dave.

Just out of interest dave, two questions - will I feel a big difference ferodo vs OE textar on the road? And will OE textar be good for both road and track, i run OE textar on a 993 on the track albeit in big reds and they are great.

Cheers John

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »
Great write-up, John!  :happy2:

I am sick of torturing myself over this so going to give it a go too even if it means using my 'flexible friend'.

Was a Dremmel good enough for removing the 1mm off of each peg or will this be a job for my grinder?

Thanks for the links Dave & Sy - will those 911/996 calipers also work for this project and do the same thing (i.e. part numbers 996 351 425 & 996 351 426  and 996 352 421 AND 996 352 422)? I thought they were different from the Cayman calipers and not just in colour?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:29:13 pm by muckipup »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »
Looking very good John.

i  might be interested  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »
Hi muckipup,

I used my angle grinder, didn't look delicate enough for my dremel :wink:

Top tips for a smooth install are:

1) Take 1mm off each peg on the caliper first, I did both sides to be sure
2) Ensure you fit the adaptor as per my pic, it can go on in different ways and I spend a while on the first side experimenting which way it should go on
3) make sure you fit the caliper with the bleed nipples at the top, sounds obvious but easy to fit the other way round and you will never successfully bleed it with the nipples at the bottom
4) Leave the union of the pipe at the caliper loose until everything bolted up, then tighten the caliper union and fit the new hose onto the car fixed pipe, I left the old caliper connected but tucked out the way until ready for this connection when the new caliper all fitted, minimises any loss of fluid and the car lines draining down.

Finally the old caliper mounting bolts are pretty tight so be prepared for serious leverage to get them loose!.

If you follow above top tips and my install pics is a surprisingly simple job!

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2010, 09:42:32 pm »
Great write-up, John!  :happy2:

I am sick of torturing myself over this so going to give it a go too even if it means using my 'flexible friend'.

Was a Dremmel good enough for removing the 1mm off of each peg or will this be a job for my grinder?

Thanks for the links Dave & Sy - will those 911/996 calipers also work for this project and do the same thing (i.e. part numbers 996 351 425 & 996 351 426  and 996 352 421 AND 996 352 422)? I thought they were different from the Cayman calipers and not just in colour?

Nope they are the wrong calipers unfortunately, the part numbers you need are 986 351 421 & 422

Just a brief explanation of part numbers:

First three are the model number 986=Boxster, 996=911, 955=Cayenne

351 = Front brakes

421 Left Caliper (odd numbers) & 422 Right Caliper (Even numbers)

Dont buy anything with a 352 in the part number they are rear calipers and the pistons are too small for a Mk5

Other than that great write up John - heres hoping for some good feedback from your track day.

WRT the pads, I think I'm more of a TMD man than Ferodo so Pagid/Textar/Mintex in that order.....but ferodo are OE on VW and probably just as good, The Textar pads for Porsche are compound 4045 so if you've got this on the back of the pad then they're ok for a track day expect fade/smoke/drama after a couple of laps but if you're feeling your way they should be fine.

The track day pads we bought Joe held on admirably and were only £50 but came recomended by somebody who know who knows! Zero Fade on the ring, might be worth getting some to give the setup every chance at Cadwell.

This could get interesting if they fit behind a pescara...................... :popcornsoda:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:45 pm »
Looking very good John.

You have mail ;-)

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit... Another Guinea Pig
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12:00 am »
you need to try them with track pads in, OMG the difference is night and day again. just a shame they sound  :sick:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2010, 11:54:52 am »

They're Cayman calipers that have received some TLC buddy....

Can I ask who refurb'ed your calipers Dave as they look mint!  Is that a going over with caliper paint/Hammerite or a powdercoating job and did you get a full refurb with pistons, seals etc?

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:49 pm »
Can I ask who refurb'ed your calipers Dave as they look mint!  Is that a going over with caliper paint/Hammerite or a powdercoating job and did you get a full refurb with pistons, seals etc?

You can mate  - that would be me, been at caliper refurbs for upwards of four years. Its all about process's to end up with a good finish. Its a powder coat process and some clear laquer. And then the very careful job of re-assembly begins. Depending on condition its not always given that a whole new set of seals are required. Ive got lots of spare seals here for the one off ones that need replacing.

Problem being its very time consuming and Im four times as busy in summer as I am in winter

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:18 am »

You can mate  - that would be me

LOL, I figured you might say that!  :wink:  I'll need to work that one out myself I think and try and find somewhere local that will do this for me.

I'll PM you regarding the fitting kit  :happy2: