Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 417452 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.....Read On
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 10:04:43 pm »
Snared! Not one but two....look out for some install pics over the weekend

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »
Good luck with that Dave i know who one of them is.  :signLOL:

And is it me, or does that hamster do all his brake fitting with his left hand. paw.  thingy.  :laugh:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:11 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline Nikiforos

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 08:16:43 am »
Dave very interesting project :congrats:

I think it would be very interesting ,for a  lot of GTI owners,if you could find for us a caliper solution

for the R32 thick discs.

A 4-6 pistons caliper with popular pad choises, would be great for a lot of people who run r32 brakes(incl.cupra,s3 etc)

and visit track quite often.

Candy White DSG,S3 full brake setup,S3 I/C,TT Lower Arms,Superpro Bushes&Antilift,
Bilstein custom coilovers,Eibach front- BSH rear ARBs,full Milltek exhaust,e-tuners stage 2 remap.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:00 am »
would definatley be interested but due the criteria
got track days / ring trips planned, runs a standard 18" wheel, whos running a staged GTI or Edition 30/Pirelli , a technical background would be helpful, whos running 312mm discs at the moment, who crapped his pants due to lack of braking last timeout who's good with a camera and could do a review on here....phew

and me being a complete numpty :sad1:
 ill just wait for the results and buy later when i need to change my brakes.
good luck with this
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:29 am »
i was honestly shocked at how much the R32 kit weighs compared to this set up!! it really is un real!!  :surprised:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 01:37:59 pm »
great! so what your saying is you sold me a brake kit thats no good  :confused:   :signLOL:

be good to see how this pans out  :happy2: but sadly its many months too late for me, I'm stuck with R32 setup now  :P
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »
great! so what your saying is you sold me a brake kit thats no good  :confused:   :signLOL:

be good to see how this pans out  :happy2: but sadly its many months too late for me, I'm stuck with R32 setup now  :P

+1  :fighting:

:wink:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »

Normally you understand I would feel remorse but in fairness you're not waking up at 4am with this crap in your head...IM CURSED!

:laugh:  :rolleye:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 02:59:32 pm »

Normally you understand I would feel remorse but in fairness you're not waking up at 4am with this crap in your head...IM CURSED!

:laugh:  :rolleye:

I know the feeling, my head is full or tons of useless info  :grin:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:27 pm »
Count yourselves lucky mine is full of space. And i dont mean the final frontier.  :rolleye:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 07:56:58 pm »
Dave you should count yourself lucky mate Ive got the whole internet going round in my head :rolleye: thinking of how I can get round certain things that need putting in peoples cars,  I can now strip a RNS510 down in 3 minutes flat and I need to know how I can kick every bodies backsides at FK automotive and Venom Motorsport.... :evilgrin:

Need more time in a day :sleepy:

Darren 

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 09:55:21 pm »
on a serious note Dave, even with a dual piston is the capacity of the 312mm disc ok?
the big plus on the R32 was a greatly increased capacity before it heat soaks..
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »
on a serious note Dave, even with a dual piston is the capacity of the 312mm disc ok?
the big plus on the R32 was a greatly increased capacity before it heat soaks..

Good point John

The answer is we'll see, was at questmead today and John there when asked to enter the Mintex part numbers for boxster fronts came up with 18 different pads in stock.

I think this is the potential win with this setup, you'll be able to accurately get the right pad for the degree of heat that you're generating. Having said that the R32 30mm thick disc does give some margin in terms of being able to absorb the heat. (From memory you need 40% more heat to get the same temp increase for every 10% increase in disc width) but with the limited pad choice you may not get a pad to generate that heat and deal with it before the pad itself starts letting you down.

It is considerably lighter as well. I've been talking to questmead about the 315mm 2 piece disc option, the rotor itself is inside of 5.5kg another 1.6 kg for the bell and carrier and bolts..... imagine this setup bolted to the S3 Hub and lower arms. Comparing this utopia setup to an steel hubbed ED30 with R32 brakes and you could be looking at saving nearly 20kg per corner.

Not only is that good for handling its also good for straight line speed.

Lots done but still lots to do, the proof is in the hooning. Joes car is getting the kit on Friday Afternoon, its got a week of fast road to put up with then some ring laps, hopefully Joe will be able to compare laps on a standard quality OEM Pagid road pad and then with a quality track pad that we elected on today an SBS Carbon Ceramic with a tale of the tape very similar to a Pagid RS4-4 Orange. Those pads cost me £60 which brings me back to cheap consumable / clubman ethos Im trying to work with

Its been fun getting it this far, heres the kit awaiting fitment at ADS in Preston, Dave Massey there does a good job on installs he's got a knack of getting a good pedal be it single/4/6/8 pot which isn't always the case with other installers, he's also a revo dealer so he's going to give Joes car a once over prior to the mass forum exodus to Shermoney next week.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:19 am »
All sounds really good,  but as far as i can see, you still have not addressed the major flaw with this set-up and test run.  :smiley:

JOESGTI :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :driver: