Make a donation

Author Topic: ST3 Help & Information  (Read 3096 times)

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
ST3 Help & Information
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:59:40 pm »
I have been doing a bit of research on the various mapping possibilities for my ED30.  Being from N Ireland we don't have the same backup as your guys on the mainland if there are any issues. 

I had pretty much settled on the bluefin but a local mapping company mentioned tonight that they could supply the ST3 unit that will hold 3 maps - standard, performance and economy.  I have tried to do a search and it comes up with a few threads but not really much information.  Has anybody any experience of this unit.  Is it specific to the Chipped UK maps?

The cost is going to be £150 for the unit, £250 for the performance map and £100 for an additional (economy map) so at £500 all in it is quite expensive.

Thanks

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: ST3 Help & Information
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:58:51 am »
There are much better options.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:40:10 am »
if you want a handset get the Bluefin IMO, if you dont need a handset get Revo

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 06:56:56 am »
I would like the option of being able to put the car back to standard, not just for the VW service.  I do a 40 mile commute during the week and really don't want (or can afford) any clutch problems so ideally I would put the car back to standard for my work commute (in winter) when I am stuck in 50mph traffic anyway and then put the map back on for weekend driving or a dry weekend in the winter.

Or does this sound like a really stupid idea and bad for the car taking the map on and off so often?

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:58:41 am »
I also should have said thats why I was interested in Bluefin as I like the idea of their lower (270BHP) map as this may be something I can leave on the car all the time and hopefully not be as sore on the clutch.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:08 am »
i wouldnt put it back to stock, just drive sensibly at those times and leave the map on, i would go for the Bluefin myself (as i have)

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:31:30 am »
My advice is pretty much as has been said above, just do a quick search for Chipped UK on here and that may clarify a little more for you.  :wink:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:35 am »
No need to switch back to stock to preserve your clutch in traffic, what knackers the clutch is the increased torque and in traffic you certainly aint going to be hitting peak torque.

As for CuK - Well it's a little bit of you get what you pay for I'm afraid.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44:15 am »
Darrens  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2585.0

£391 all in   :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:  , free upgrades and great customer service too

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:12 pm »
Thanks guys.  Its pretty much what I thought, I just wanted to check out the ST3 as having the local mapping support was appealing but then again Bluefin is tried and tested.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:55 pm »
TBH you'll get just as good if not better from SC as I have no doubt that the guy selling the ST3's will not be a map writer, he will use an off the shelf map emailed to him or downloaded from a reseller.
Stu...